Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Case

Options
  • 23-03-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Afternoon, im looking for a flight case capable of holding a shotgun or 2. Does anyone know any webites, in the uk preferably that sell cheapish ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Cheap flight cases == broken shotgun, sheepish-looking-but-not-liable baggage handler and distraught firearms owner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Sorry i should of said in my first post, its not going to be used for anything other than keeping it from moving around in the boot of the car, thus im not wanting to spend big money on a peli.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ah right, that's a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Doskosport do a good range, very sturdy and not the weight of a Peli

There's also a wide range of cheap 'aluminium' cases but these would be of questionable quality, Chinese origin.

Most gunshops will have both.

Cheers demon, just after seeing a few doskos on sportsmanguncentre.co.uk but the shipping is 37 pounds, idealy id prefer a hard plastic case than aluminium as ive owned a budget one and was thouroughly dissapointed with it.

• Advertisement

kinkstr wrote: »
    Cheers demon, just after seeing a few doskos on sportsmanguncentre.co.uk but the shipping is 37 pounds, idealy id prefer a hard plastic case than aluminium as ive owned a budget one and was thouroughly dissapointed with it.

I'd agree with regards the ALU cases, majority are poor.

The price on that budget Dosko case in sportsmanguncentre.co.uk is very keen, but shipping is steep. Overall not a bad price though, albeit for their starter case.

There must be a dealer local to you who would stock these I'm sure?

I only stock the DLX double case, as its more robust and a tried and tested case, but its a lot more money, £125 + £15 shipping

To be honest i havent been in any bricks and mortar shops looking for one yet but going by the online shipping costs im gonna have to, ive seen those deluxe ones and if i had the money id be all over it, unfortunately i cant be spending more than 60-70 quid on one. Dont suppose you knw of any dealers in Carlow, ill be passing through there tomorrow.

This shop was recommended by a few posters on a thread I started here recently

Sean O'Neill - Atlantic Sports - Carlow

Don't have any contact details, but Google will help you with that bit!

I'd be surprised if any shop didn't have at least one decent plastic case.

Thanks again lad, i may call into him if i can find the shop, just came across a double gun case on shoot.ie there for 60 euros delievered to my door thats pretty tempting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jamesomara

DemonLoop's recommendation is sound. The Doskosport is probably the best when it comes to safety and price.

If you feel like spending a few euro I would recommend the following. It is a real metal case that is actually welded where needed. It is very tight and I bet you could literall drive your car over it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remington-Hard-Side-Shotgun-Rifle-Case-52-LX10WX41-2D_W0QQitemZ250597610934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a58c815b6

If you ever plan to travel with a long gun, I would suggest this
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=376945

Whatever you do, stay away from the pieces of junk that say "Aluma" type cases that have a bit of diamond stamped aluminum colored plastic covering particle board - complete junk. They will not hold up to much wear.

Also, do you live in a populated area? Do all of the neighbors see you come and go? If so, then you should not advertise your gun with a huge shiny mean-looking gun case. I prefer the SKB. Whenever someone asks me what's in the case - it's my guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Heard good things on the SKB cases myself and while looking around a few weeks back I noted this page on ebay which is the Freedom case ( retails out side of ebay for $141 but no shipping to Ireland)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SKB-Cases-SKB-Hard-Plastic-Double-Rifle-Case-2SFR5013_W0QQitemZ390168916122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad7e1309a

While I canceled getting one for the time begin I checked around and this was in and around the best price I could see (taking shipping in to account and the fact I cant find a supplier here so not sure on the Irish price)

note its not the travel case shown in jamesomara links below but you can ask the seller as I belive they have them ..

why not put up a post in for sale/wanted and see if anyone else is looking for one and do a deal with seller for group purchase and shipping you may get a better deal ( I did this recently and saved about 30% as 8 of us bought together ,for payment use this :)https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/general/MayEmailNL-outside then at least the money is safe)

Dar

Thanks for all the advice lads, didnt get a chance to call into atlantic in carlow but ive just been talking to one of the guys from duffy's in galway and the can have it in the post in the morning so ill be going for that one for the sake of having it quick.
    Whatever you do, stay away from the pieces of junk that say "Aluma" type cases that have a bit of diamond stamped aluminum colored plastic covering particle board - complete junk. They will not hold up to much wear.

I know all to well mate ive had one in the past and it was pure junk.
    Also, do you live in a populated area? Do all of the neighbors see you come and go? If so, then you should not advertise your gun with a huge shiny mean-looking gun case. I prefer the SKB. Whenever someone asks me what's in the case - it's my guitar.

I do have neighbours but the case will be going in the car inside a garage and no ones is any wiser.

Thanks again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

Cheers ghost, that looks pretty good for the price, i paid for double case off duffy's earlier so im sorted for the foreseeable future:)

Advertisement