Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences with Rehoming Agencies

Options
  • 23-03-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what other folks experiences with these agencies has been like. Generally how long is it until they get back to you when you express interest in rehoming an animal and are they very particular about who they allow to rehome? I emailed a couple of places around a week ago and havent heard anything back as of yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Some are better than others tbh. If it were me I'd be expecting a reply within a couple of days to organise a homecheck. You can usually find a rescue groups rehoming criteria and homecheck forms on their websites so you can get a good idea of who they will and won't rehome to. Most groups are happy to discuss your individual needs and try to match a dog to you.

Some groups are only volunteers in their spare time so that might explain the delay but I would at least be expecting an acknowledgement and a copy of their homecheck form and rehoming criteria within a few days as homechecks can take a bit longer to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Yeah, I would have thought I'd get some contact within a couple of days. I'd actually included all the adoption forms too so they'd know I was keen.

Maybe give them a call and let them know you have sent in the paperwork and you can have a chat to them at the same time. As I said some groups are mostly volunteers with other jobs so that may be the case or they may be a one-woman show.

If you get no joy after that then I'd look elsewhere. If they're going to be that hard to get hold of before you adopt a dog then it doesn't bode well for back-up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Unfortunately this happens a lot. Most of the rescues are volunteers and very busy. I do understand that.

If they could just get someone to field emails and reply it would help rehome more dogs. :(

I used to homecheck for a rescue but I stopped because I'd make the call to set up the meeting and would often be greeted with "We asked for a hc weeks ago, we already got a pup now". Now I was ALWAYS available to do the checks within 2 days and would ALWAYS call immediatly. The delay was with getting their details to me. It was pretty demoralising tbh.

They do the best they can, so if you can hold out a bit longer, maybe call the number on their website and remind them. Send another email maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

I can understand how frustrating it can be not to get an answer back quick when you are willing to adopt a dog but most of the rescues I know are staffed by unpaid volunteers and unfortunetly, like all of us, personal issues like ill health, broadband going down and family commitments can hamper speedy replies.

Its not as simple as letting someone else field the emails as there, depending on the resue, is a lot of personal information contained in the applications forms, addresses, hours of work, mobile numbers etc so any rescue worth its salt will not pass that job onto just anyone who is willing to do it, for security reasons.

Most would have an automated response set up so if you received one of these you email will have been received and I would think that they will be back to you as soon as possible. :) Best of luck

• Advertisement

But they have to give this information anyway to homecheckers. The homecheckers go to the persons home, to do this they need to call them first and they need to know when to call, also, when you do a hc you are given the adoption application anyway because it contains the answers to a lot of your questions.

Many of those who hc would be more than happy to help out with returning calls when its really busy. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I don't think privacy is one of them tbf.

I know of one well known charity where a group of people who had been doing hc's for well over a year, offered to help with clearing the backlog of applications. They were politely told "no thanks". So They pointed out that a lot of homes were lost because of the delay in response and suggested that even if one person, who had been there years, helped for a few weeks, it would go a long way to clear the back log.

Anyway, they didn't want to let that happy because it was "the job of the adoption co-ordinator and her only to do that and she wouldn't appreciate being told how to do her job".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It might be a case that a small rescue doesn't have enough people or time & a bigger organisation tends to create systems that have to be followed with a lack of flexibility.

At the end of the day it is basic customer service. Someone who wants to home a dog is gold dust. These days it is very easy to have a standard email or text message ready that says something like we value your message. We are very busy but we will get back to you as soon as we can. It is also easy to set reminders on a mobile or computer to ensure that someone is not forgotten.

In reality rescues are run by animal lovers that are brilliant at rescuing but possibly not so good at the admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Just to update you all (and thanks for the replies so far) still havent gotten any response from any of the agencies. When there is so much noise made about animals being unnecessarily destroyed this is'nt good enough.

Did you ring and speak to anyone?

Which ones were you trying to contact?

Chiorino wrote: »
    Just to update you all (and thanks for the replies so far) still havent gotten any response from any of the agencies. When there is so much noise made about animals being unnecessarily destroyed this is'nt good enough.

You're right. It is absolutely not good enough. Have you phoned them, who have you been trying to contact?

Do you know what type of dog you are looking for? Maybe there is something in the homes needed thread? Or if you are looking for a small house dog (8mths old) then PM me. (I think it would be against charter to go into detail here with the two homing threads etc)

I can understand your frustration.

• Advertisement
Advertisement