Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salukis?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

anyone about with a pure sluki or first cross saluki greyhound.I own a stunning black bitch.I wondered if anyone else had any.Im based in cork but anywhere in the munster region would be great too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Do you have a pic of her?

EDIT: Are you looking for one or just asking about other who own one?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

I have one and just wondering if anyone else has one or more?

am i the only one with a saluki then:o,surely theres others
    152.jpg
    hope this works.

hey hey it worked
    153.jpg
    anyone got a first cross then in any part of the country?

She's lovely!

What did you mean in your first post
    but anywhere in the munster region would be great too
    are you looking to meet up with other owners?

There are definately a few around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

She is absolutely stunning!!!!!

Yeah Helena I was wondering if there were many about,I havent seen any since I got her.I know theres a few in the north of Ireland.I know the lady that bred my bitch lives in Clonmel somewhere but ive failed to track her down.I was thinking in a few years I might breed from her so just testing the waters so to speak.
    BABYS shes a good looking lady for sure thanks,but im biased lol.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

There are some in Dublin too, but these have been brought in from Saluki rescue in the UK.

I'm sure I've seen some around. :) Silly question,please forgive the ignorance. Are they a breed of grehound, or totally seperate?

What were they originally for and from? Are they the ones originally bred in eastern countries or am I really mixed up?

She really is a little stunner. Can you show them? Do you show her?

(sorry for the questions. :()

they are a completly seperate breed,my bitch is full blooded saluki but not papered,im told the sire was imported from Saudi but dont know how true that is,they are used for coursing and hunting hares,rabbits and gazell in their own country.I dont show her helena,im actually opposed to the kennells clubs as theyre the ruination of most breeds they lay their hands on,ado86 thanks for the reply,I'll take a look at the net to see f theres a site for saluki rescue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

11022009123.jpg

She loves cigars !. This is Lily

Salukis are totally unique in that a dog is an unclean animal to a muslim but in the Koran a Saluki is considered above a dog. Therefore it can not only share a man's house but even his food.

Salukis are believed to be just about the oldest recognisable breed of dog.

Chinese20Warrior-detail.jpg

This image is supposed to date from about 3000 years BC

In the Middle East a Saluki is seen as a sign of royalty & importance. In Saudi Arabia one has to be given a Saluki - they cannot be bought. Over 1000 stain glass windows feature Salukis usually at the feet of Jesus to denote him as a king.

saluki.jpg

Looks like a lamb.

bahr256.jpg

A sign of importance in Bahrain

And is a slaugi different? (or is there even such thing?)

Thanks for the info DD. What are they like character wise? I might want one. :D

Yes it's a different breed often referred to as the Arabian Greyhound. Very short coat but some Salukis can be short coated as well.

There is a good little book called Saluki Companion of Kings by Vera H Watkins. Also RTE aired a one hour program on Salukis. It featured the Royal Saluki Kennels in Saudi. Literally gold beds !. The guy who feeds them had a room full of jars of spices etc that go into the food. He said that the contents were a royal secret. A neighbour watched the program & as I walked past the next day she rushed out of her gate & bowed at Lily. She has referred to her as "Her Majesty" ever since !

Another neighbour, now in her 80's, lived in Saudi. Her husband was the Irish ambassador. She has a photo of her & hubby in a landrover, in the desert with two Salukis in the back. There were presented to him as a mark of his status !.

The big problem owning one here is the unwanted attention. I have had lads desperate to buy her & sometimes not keen to take no for an answer. A Saluki would be a good target for thieves as Hare coursers consider a Saluki Lurcher cross to be one of the best dogs.

I am always a bit loath to describe the character of breeds because individuals vary. Books will say that Salukis can be nervous & highly strung but Lily is the total opposite. The sad fact is that far from being Royal she was left starving in a shed with 5 other dogs, 4 of which died. She was on an IV for 3 days - I slept on the floor of the vets !.

28092008107.jpg

Not the desert but it is sand !

discodog,you familliar with callie living up your way,she breeds all salukis?very nice dog,pet or worker?

To avoid any confusion I utterly deplore any dog being used as a "worker" if by that you mean any form of "sport" or hunting/coursing.

Your initial posts did raise a little suspicion in that I have often been approached by people who express an interest in my dogs for the wrong reasons.

transit260 wrote: »
    I dont show her helena,im actually opposed to the kennells clubs as theyre the ruination of most breeds they lay their hands on,ado86 thanks for the reply,I'll take a look at the net to see f theres a site for saluki rescue.

Would be with you on the Kennel club point transit, so many of the breeds today are so far removed from what they originally started out as ... they are all meatn to meet this 'breed standard'? I wont say anymore as I will just start ranting ;)

Loving all the pics of Salukis, haave rescued lucher myself, thinking of getting him a doggie wig so I can think he is a saluki :D

just to avoid any confusion,I course my saluki regurlarly,which is what they were intended for and I hunt since I was 14 years old.Its the people that get them like you and the kennell club that bastardise them and turn them into lapdogs.You do the dog and breed a dishonour by turning it into a ''pet''.My dogs live in the house most of the time with me and are kept in the greatest of conditions.If you despise working dogs so much go get yourself a ****zu or some other form of lap dog and stop doing working dogs a disservice by not leting her chase .What we have here is another anti with a working dog originally intended for ''WORK''but you will spare it from sining no doubt by restricting its natural instincts to chase and catch.I hope I made it clear where I stand and no confusion for you to follow.As for the people approaching you for the wrong reasons,well their actually the ''RIGHT REASONS''.Your dog looks the way it does because it has a purpouse,which is to hunt and catch for its master,unfortunately your poor animal will never experience that.Since were talking about Salukis, running her on rabbit and hare are a legitimate part of the conversation as thats why she was selectively bred to look and be the way she is,unfortunately she is owned by one who cant/wont see the truth,nothing personal but ,weve all seen what happens to them when this happens,hip displacia,heart murmours,and the ruination of numerous breeds that were once a very versatile''WORKING'' breed.Hope your proud of your like minded friends before you,SAD

As for welfare what are your thoughts on the 1000's of sighthounds that end up being killed every year ? Does that improve the breed ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Right Im locking this now subject to review.

Transit--Nothing in the rules to disallow the discussion of coursing in this forum however there is already a greyhound racing forum which might suit the discussion more.

Disocdog--If you have a problem with a post report it but dont comment on it.Thats just stirring the issue more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Right Im reopening this.

The discussion of coursing in an aside manner is allowed which is what I believe Transit was doing.However Transit your "why do hell do hunters buy working dogs" comment was out of line and Ive removed it from your post.

Keep it on topic of the breed thats being discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Salukis have the reputation of being faster than a greyhound, true or false I don't know, iv'e never seen a full bred one running, but it must be a sight to behold, nothing nicer to see than an animal doing something that it loves doing. Have to say they're lovely animal's.
    0007f.gif

marlin vs wrote: »
    Salukis have the reputation of being faster than a greyhound, true or false I don't know, iv'e never seen a full bred one running, but it must be a sight to behold, nothing nicer to see than an animal doing something that it loves doing. Have to say they're lovely animal's.
    0007f.gif

Greyhounds are meant to be faster but the saluki has better endurance as fas as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

transit260 wrote: »
    jIts the people that get them like you and the kennell club that bastardise them and turn them into lapdogs.You do the dog and breed a dishonour by turning it into a ''pet''

Can I make a point here? Most people I know who have salukis/lurchers have rescued them. They aren't sitting around going 'I know let's get a working dog and keep it as a pet' rather they have been moved by the plight of a particular dog who needs help.

There are pounds and shelters up and down the country full of sighthounds who have been dumped and discarded. I can't believe you have the nerve to be so scathing of people who have decided to try to improve the chances of a dog who has been dumped (and often in terrible condition) because they didn't make the grade as a worker or who was born as a result of people who don't give a toss about their dogs and who let them breed and breed and breed. There are never going to be enough working homes for all these dogs so what do you suggest should happen to them then if you don't agree with them being pets?

My lurcher who has a good dose of saluki in him is a fit, healthy and happy and contented dog, as are many many more I know who aren't worked. While not all lurchers are suited to a pet only homes, equally not all lurchers are suited to a working home and you're sweeping generalisations are ridiculous. I also know of many homes where the pet lurchers chasing instincts are channelled by engaging in activities such a lure coursing. Most lurcher owners I know are very well aware of their dog's instincts.

Like it or not, most lurchers who end up in rescue come directly or indirectly from people who are involved one way or another in working their dog as there isn't exactley much of a pet market for them in same way as there is for westies or cavs for example. I wonder just how many working people are helping to pick up the pieces when these dogs get dumped, yet you have the nerve to throw your toys out of the pram at someone who has done something to help :rolleyes:

Finally, if you love and are as passionate about salukis as much as you seem to be then you should think twice about breeding your bitch. You only need to look in pounds and shelters around the country to see the problems associated with the indiscriminate breeding of sighthounds :rolleyes:

Many Salukis owners that have a high value dog would not consider coursing it because of the risk of injury. A Saluki will not stop at a barbed wire fence. Many Salukis get dumped because they are intelligent & can be very independent thinkers. When they decide not to come back (which they will) & are mistreated (even just yelled at) they make an intelligent decision not to return the next time for good.

As for pampering the Beduin treat their Salukis very well as traditionally they literally depended on them to stay alive. If a Saluki caught prey in the desert it was essential that it returned with it & didn't run off to have a feast. The Chinese warrior in the photo is carrying his Saluki on his horse to conserve it's strength so that it will be at it best for the chase.

Non of this was "sport" it was born out of necessity to stay alive in a harsh environment. The RTE program showed the Beduin cooking the kill & then giving the liver & heart (the most nutritious part) to the Salukis.

I can walk my Saluki through a field of rabbits & she wont chase. Never forget that a dog that is trained to chase & kill won't know the difference between a Hare & a Cat.

Advertisement