Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stereo dead after Jump Start

• 23-03-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Well, a rather botched jump start - the jump leads went on fire :o

Switched them over to the right positions and the car started, but the stereo is dead and the clock etc have gone back to 0:00.

Is the stereo completely dead or does it need a fuse or something?

(Sorry - am thick on all things car related and you lot are CHEAP! :D)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

the jump leads went on fire :o

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

:D Believe me, I agree...

Can one Facepalm themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Switched them over to the right positions and the car started, but the stereo is dead and the clock etc have gone back to 0:00.

Is the stereo completely dead or does it need a fuse or something?

(Sorry - am thick on all things car related and you lot are CHEAP! :D)

Ha! I lol'd when I read this! Your lucky the car started at all!

I'd check fuses 1st and take it from there OR get a mechanic to look at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I just have to ask, what in the hell did you do?

I'd be a bit more worried about the possibility of other electrical systems failing or being damaged rather than the radio.

Well, the poor bloke I accosted in the rain actually connected the leads, so I'm not entirely to blame.. :p

The ones attached to my car went up when I tried to start the engine. His car, and the leads his end were fine. So he switched the smoking sparking molten plastic leads over on my car and it started.

I'm not sure it has any other electrics which could have been affected. It's a 97 corsa so most of it is practically wind-up :D. The lights are all working fine.

I have a new car I'm too chicken to drive and the only thing I wanted from the dear old corsa was the stereo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

sometimes after a dead battery you need a security code or soemthing liek that to reactivate radio (i.e. it acts like its been nicked)

I wrong terminalled a demo stereo that was fused years ago, fuse was blown but stereo was still fecked after replacing fuse, which was a bummer as it was free to me at the time :rolleyes:

Riskymove wrote: »
    sometimes after a dead battery you need a security code or soemthing liek that to reactivate radio (i.e. it acts like its been nicked)

There's not a peep out of it to be able to put a code in. It's not a fantastic stereo by any means but it's a shame I can't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Did you check the fuses?

Did you check the fuses?

Er... where would they be then?:o

• Advertisement

There's usually a fusebox under the bonnet somewhere, and also somewhere inside (maybe in one of the footwells). I don't know your car specifically. Do you have the manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

There's usually a fusebox under the bonnet somewhere, and also somewhere inside (maybe in one of the footwells). I don't know your car specifically. Do you have the manual?

Yea there'd be a compartment near the battery or at about your knees in the footwells.

Ha ha I'm lucky if I have the KEYS!

Nah, no manual, I'm going to try and get rid of the car (somehow), maybe it'll spur me on to get in the new car. Thanks anyway though.

Anyone interested in a 97 Corsa, sans exhaust, and a slightly banged up 02 Siecento? Make me an offer. I'm running out of space here. A stereo would probably do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

There is normally a mini blade fuse at the back of the radio, this would be first port of call to check.

Its longside item 6 here:
    car_audio.jpg

Fuse looks like this
    AMT35A.jpg

If this fuse isnt blown (youll know by looking through the coloured plastic if the wire is broken its blown) then check the manual to see where the fuse board is, normally at the back of the lid of this there is a legend to show what each fuse does, this is also in the manual. sometimes the fuse for the radio is also the one for the interior light.

Blimey, thanks for that. I'll have a look.

I'm not sure it has any other electrics which could have been affected. It's a 97 corsa so most of it is practically wind-up :D.

Like most cars from the '90s it has an ECU, various sensors for managing emissions, electronic fuel injection, etc. Are you sure it's running OK and there's no weird lights appearing on the dashboard?

cronin_j: I'd say it's the integrated stereo that the OP has, as opposed to a standard DIN unit.

Like most cars from the '90s it has an ECU, various sensors for managing emissions, electronic fuel injection, etc. Are you sure it's running OK and there's no weird lights appearing on the dashboard?

cronin_j: I'd say it's the integrated stereo that the OP has, as opposed to a standard DIN unit.

The integrated ones more often than not actually have them now too to my suprise..

No weird lights on dashboard. I don't know anything about the rest of it.

It is a replacement stereo, not the original, if that helps.

It is a replacement stereo, not the original, if that helps.

just means its more likely to have the small fuse at the back

Advertisement