Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Beag! Cafe Bleugh!

Options
  • 23-03-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭

Had a late lunch today and in my hunger raided the vending machine. So when I finally got out I just wanted something small, ideally a slice of DiFontaines but since they've upped and gone and I was in Temple Bar I decided to try a slice from Cafe Beag, right on the corner leading into the alley to the Ha'penny bridge.

Now I know if I where to go if I want a small slice of re-reheated, soggy, tasteless luke warm pizza. She took it off the shelf and heated it in a microwave for 30 seconds! Now I don't own a cafe but micowaved pizza is a big no no. Rather eat it cold.

Seriously, avoid this quaint looking little shop of evil snacks. I wish I had of wiated and grabbed a slice of Apache for the same price on the way back to work.

DSC02671_medium.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Shouldve gone to Rays Pizza on fownes st. Cant expect much from pizza from a cafe to be honest. Theres a few great places along talbot st for a slice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Rays Pizza is good, Those places on Talbot I found to be a bit of a greasy mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

WindSock wrote: »
    Rays Pizza is good, Those places on Talbot I found to be a bit of a greasy mess.

The ones up near Marlborough Street are a bit ropey but theres one down underneath the rail bridge that is quite nice

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cornish pastie shop just a few feet around the corner from that utter abortion is the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Any place with a trendy Irish name always makes me wary. Seems to be a case of marketing over substance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Any place with a trendy Irish name always makes me wary.

I feel the same and tend to avoid Cafe (insert stupid French/faux Irish name) Places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Been meaning to check out the pasties place, they good then?

Nevore wrote: »
    Been meaning to check out the pasties place, they good then?

Yeah it's very good, best this side of Bradford. Better than Tiggly Oggly's. It's a nice English guy that owns and runs it. Lovely chunks of steak. The chicken one is very tasty too and it has a little seating area and real forks. Guy's trying his best to bring a bit of quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

humberklog wrote: »
    Yeah it's very good, best this side of Bradford. Better than Tiggly Oggly's. It's a nice English guy that owns and runs it. Lovely chunks of steak. The chicken one is very tasty too and it has a little seating area and real forks. Guy's trying his best to bring a bit of quality.

hey - where is it? what's it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Sounds great. What is Tiggly Oggly's?! Gonna check him out for lunch tomorrow :)

• Advertisement

Oh Tiggly Oggly's was a pretty decent chain in England...I thought one opened here when I wasn't here so could be wrong in referencing that chain...but they were good.

@brazilian...it's in Merchant's Arch lane...on the right heading south. I don't know it's name. Fred's Cornish Pastie? Something uncomplicated like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There's one on Dawson Street too, opposite Mansion House.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Cornish pastie shop just a few feet around the corner from that utter abortion is the business.

I tried that place today, Hanley's Cornish Pasties. Lovely guy. Went in and was looking for a large steak pastie (€4.95 if ya wanna eat in) to which he was all out. So he gave me 2 medium pasties (€3.95 eat in) for €5 which was exremely generous. He seemed to ignore the eat in charge of an extra euro which would have made it €6, so 1 or 3 euro off depending on how you look at it!

Very tasty and highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's one on Dawson Street too, opposite Mansion House.

Thinks its closed down now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 robertcelbridge

Bambi wrote: »
    Thinks its closed down now :(

I work in Hanleys Pasties yes they are really special they have not closed down far from it. We are open Mon to Sun in Temple Bar and Mon to Sat in Dawson Street new shop opening soon watch this space. Come down and see us soon!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Happy days, must have been another place that was boarded up..I love cornish pasties

Advertisement