If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about AV Receivers in the Sale !

Options
  • 23-03-2010 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Hi John, Ash,

I have a "Sony Home Cinema 5.1 HT-DDW780" which has no HDMI ports so my current setup is a bit messy and awkward. Plus, it doesn't seem to be able to channel a composite input through to the component output.

Which of these receivers (if any) would enable me to achieve the following setup:

I have three inputs:
    PS3 (HDMI)
    Wii (Component)
    Magnet Telly STB (SCART/Composite)

and I want to be able to output picture to:
    Projecter (HDMI)
    Telly (Component) (I got stung with 'HD-Ready' BS years ago)

Or is such a setup possible?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi nice1franko.

Are you looking to output both Signals to the Televison and projector at the same time?

Have a look at the following amps:

Pioneer VSX819 priced at £229.95
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=930&Mode=0&productid=966&Results=true&keys=vsx819

Denon AVR1910 priced at £379.95 (Boards Speacial Price)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=930&Mode=0&productid=923&Results=true&keys=denon%20avr1910

The above will output via HDMI to projector or Component to the TV but not both at the same time.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tempted to replace my Onkyo 606, and that Denon looks damn tasty! I've had a Denon AVR3802 in the past (still have it, but damned if I can get a remote for it now :() and I found the sound better on that old heavy Denon than on my newer Onkyo.

So I'd be tempted to go Denon again, based on previous experience.

The Denon really is an Arm Twister at that price :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Hi nice1franko.

Are you looking to output both Signals to the Televison and projector at the same time?

https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=930&Mode=0&productid=966&Results=true&keys=vsx819

https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=930&Mode=0&productid=923&Results=true&keys=denon%20avr1910

The above will output via HDMI to projector or Component to the TV but not both at the same time.

Hi Kenny,

No, not looking to output to both at the same time.

My current system is a 5.1. Would most 7.1 systems handle 5.1 too?

I would like to get the AVR1910 but it's a lot more more than I wanted to spend. It is on the sale list: "22. Denon AVR1910 Black – Open box – complete with all bits but not boxed – ex display ... £349.95/ €399" - not a great reduction for ex-display with no box is it?!

All but the most expensive receivers seem to have only one HDMI output. I suppose I could pick up a cheap HDMI switcher at DX or something when I upgrade my telly.

Are those two the only ones that will do the job? Are there any cheaper ones in the sale list that would do it?

Hey Nice1franko.

The open box Denon AVR1910 at £349.95 with no box is a very good price. It is complete with all bits and has no marks or damage to the unit. We had knocked off £40 for no box! £40 for a box :eek:! Making this a very good saving!
    All items that we sell with no boxes are re-boxed in something else to ensure no damaged is caused when shipping. This Denon has never been connected to a source and is as NEW!!

Any of the lower amps left in the March Deal will not output your HD audio (Apart from the VSX819). To get two HDMI outs you need to go to the Higher range of amps unfortunatley.

I hope this helps a little more!

• Advertisement

Is it a waste getting the Denon if I only have the speakers that came with my Sony Home Cinema 5.1 HT-DDW780?

Or... :( ..... how much would a reasonable set of speakers that would compliment the 1910 cost?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Or... :( ..... how much would a reasonable set of speakers that would compliment the 1910 cost?

Franko,

the speakers that came with your Sony would do no problem to get you up and running - the Denon would really benefit from a far better 5.1 system however such as the Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 pack at £499.95 (or £869.95 including a brank spanking AVR1910) or the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 pack at £399.95 (or £690 including a brand new AVR1910) or the RADIUS R90HD10 Drool :p at £1199.95 or just £1199.95 including a brand new AVR1910.

If it was me - I would just stick the Sony speakers onto the Denon - live with them for a while and go for the Q Acoustic or the Radius packs - I'm sure most boardies here or over on the HE Forums would agree with me..

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks for the help, John.

As stated here*, I'll take "22. Denon AVR1910" please sir.

I'd love to get the speakers too but next on the list will have to be a nice 42" ambilight telly -after summer probably- and then the speakers... at that stage the new 3d wafer thin smell o visions will be out won't they. You do realise you're on the same level as heroin dealers? I'm surprised the first one isn't free!!!

Box it up God damn it... :(

:p

*here

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dinsdale70

Hi guys

I was referred here as I was looking for a price for the 1910 with a black gloss Q Acoustics 2000 Cinema pack. Is the price there for the gloss speakers?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jobidoo

hi kenny , i live in waterford , im looking at getting the onkyo 607 which lists at £299.95 , can i buy at this price ??

i dont have a credit card , what are the payment options ?

will there be a delivery charge and if so , how much ?

how long would it take to get it ?

cheers....

Hey dinsdale70.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Here goes with some pricing.

Denon AVR1910 is on a boards special at the moment for £379.95 (In Stock)

The Q Acoustic 2000 pack is priced as follows:

The pack in the Graphite finish is priced at £499.95

The Black Gloss a little more expensive at £549.95 (In Stock)
    http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/2000/2000-cinema.htm

I hope this helps. :)

Hi Jobidoo.

At the moment we have no stock left of the Onkyo 607. I'm not 100% sure when more stock will arrive if any at all as the 607 is being replaced by the 608.

Delivery on items like this would be £11.99 using DPD.

Payment options without a Credit Card would be bank trans, cheque, postal order. If you could get to the Philips Shop on Dame Street in Dublin we could have the unit shipped there if/when one becomes available and you could pay in Euro when collecting the item (Standard delivery charge would still apply if collecting from the Philips Shop).

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the info. Do you also carry the wall brackets for the speakers? I'm going to need 4 (or 5) of them. You might be able to throw them in with the deal?:)

Hi guys

Can you let me know please if you sell the wall brackets too? Maybe my freebie suggestion didn't go down too well? :rolleyes::)

Dinsdale

dinsdale70 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Can you let me know please if you sell the wall brackets too? Maybe my freebie suggestion didn't go down too well? :rolleyes::)

Dinsdale

Dins,

apologies for the delay - it's not so much that the suggestion did not go down well - It's just that we are all still hung over from a big weekend and we can't think straight :confused: - so in the absence of clear thinking go on - I'll throw the brackets in!

Keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc :confused:

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John

Sorry I should have been more understanding :). It does seem to take longer to recover after a long weekend. That all sounds very good. I'm ready to take the plunge.
    Whats the next step, will I pm you?

Dinsdale

dinsdale70 wrote: »
    Hi John

Sorry I should have been more understanding :). It does seem to take longer to recover after a long weekend. That all sounds very good. I'm ready to take the plunge.
    Whats the next step, will I pm you?

Dinsdale

Dins,

yep just drop me a PM with your contact number or give Kenny a shout on 0333.900.0071 and he will get you sorted.

Thanks again,

A now sober (just) John Mc & Crew ;)

Hi Kenny

I've got this yesterday and nearly have it set up (except I need one more hdmi cable) but it looks like I'm going to have a big problem:

9QJhc.jpg

Sorry about the blurry snap... there's the all-important arrow missing from hdmi -> component so I won't be able to output the ps3 (hdmi) to the tv (component) will I? My understanding from your answer was that this was possible which was the reason I went with this receiver.
    Which of these receivers (if any) would enable me to achieve the following setup:

I have three inputs:
    PS3 (HDMI)
    Wii (Component)
    Magnet Telly STB (SCART/Composite)

and I want to be able to output picture to:
    Projecter (HDMI)
    Telly (Component) (I got stung with 'HD-Ready' BS years ago)

Or is such a setup possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

You cannot output a HDMI source over an analogue output on any av receiver that I know of.
    You could get a component cable for your PS3 and that would solve your problem.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny

Received my Denon AVR1910 and Q Acoustic Cinema pack yesterday. Great service, very quick. Thanks for your help.
    There's some weight in those speakers, nice and solid.
    Now to get the house finished so I can set them up....

Dinsdale

You cannot output a HDMI source over an analogue output on any av receiver that I know of.
    You could get a component cable for your PS3 and that would solve your problem.
    Good luck.

Thanks but using a component cable for the ps3 is exactly what I didn't want to do - I bought a full hd projector for it when I could have got a 720p one for less than half the price.

Anyway, that still leaves with an expensive receiver that doesn't do what I need it to -and what's more, the only reason why I got it was because I was told it did do this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

Hi Franko,

I have recently setup an AVR 1909 and I found the AVFORUMS site very useful for hints ..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/denon-owners-forum/1058794-denon-avr-1910-official-owners-thread-2.html

There is also an unofficial Batpig site :http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#video

On Batpig's faq there is a specific comment relating to XBOX component
    out, which should be similar to your PS3
    Q. I have an older Xbox 360 hooked up with component, why can't I get any video when I am trying to output over HDMI to my display?

A. The HDMI conversion function of Denon receivers will not convert 1080p component video. If you have an older Xbox 360 without HDMI, there are three options for getting the video to work:

1. Change the output resolution of the Xbox 360 to 720p or 1080i; the component > HDMI conversion in your Denon AVRshould work this way. However, you may still experience some problems as video games will occasionally trip up the video conversion function (as indicated in the manual).

2. Run a second, component video monitor output from the Denon AVR to your display. I know many people are obsessed with the "one HDMI cable to the TV" solution, but if you run a second monitor output you can now use your Xbox 360 at 1080p and it will pass right through the Denon via component video.

3. Similarly, you can simply bypass the receiver completely for your Xbox 360 and run the component video straight to the TV.

Obviously, both of the last two options mean you will have to switch inputs on your TV to play the Xbox 360, but you will be able to use your 360 in full 1080p with zero issues. If you require the "one HDMI cable to the TV" setup, then your only option is to set the Xbox 360 to a lower ouput resolution (option 1 above).

[** NEW! ** The new ’10 models appear to have removed the 1080p component restriction (at least on the AVR 1910/790 and higher). With one of the new models you should be able to hook up your old Xbox 360 via component video and output 1080p with no issues. ****]

Hopefully this helps ..

Cheers,

Bob ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hi Kenny

I've got this yesterday and nearly have it set up (except I need one more hdmi cable) but it looks like I'm going to have a big problem:

Sorry about the blurry snap... there's the all-important arrow missing from hdmi -> component so I won't be able to output the ps3 (hdmi) to the tv (component) will I? My understanding from your answer was that this was possible which was the reason I went with this receiver.

AFAIk RS offer a 14 day no quibble money back guarantee so you should be fine.

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi Franko,

I have recently setup an AVR 1909 and I found the AVFORUMS site very useful for hints ..

http://www.avforums.com/forums/denon-owners-forum/1058794-denon-avr-1910-official-owners-thread-2.html

There is also an unofficial Batpig site :http://batpigworld.com/fadq.html#video

On Batpig's faq there is a specific comment relating to XBOX component
    out, which should be similar to your PS3
    Q. I have an older Xbox 360 hooked up with component, why can't I get any video when I am trying to output over HDMI to my display?

A. The HDMI conversion function of Denon receivers will not convert 1080p component video. If you have an older Xbox 360 without HDMI, there are three options for getting the video to work:

1. Change the output resolution of the Xbox 360 to 720p or 1080i; the component > HDMI conversion in your Denon AVRshould work this way. However, you may still experience some problems as video games will occasionally trip up the video conversion function (as indicated in the manual).

2. Run a second, component video monitor output from the Denon AVR to your display. I know many people are obsessed with the "one HDMI cable to the TV" solution, but if you run a second monitor output you can now use your Xbox 360 at 1080p and it will pass right through the Denon via component video.

3. Similarly, you can simply bypass the receiver completely for your Xbox 360 and run the component video straight to the TV.

Obviously, both of the last two options mean you will have to switch inputs on your TV to play the Xbox 360, but you will be able to use your 360 in full 1080p with zero issues. If you require the "one HDMI cable to the TV" setup, then your only option is to set the Xbox 360 to a lower ouput resolution (option 1 above).

[** NEW! ** The new ’10 models appear to have removed the 1080p component restriction (at least on the AVR 1910/790 and higher). With one of the new models you should be able to hook up your old Xbox 360 via component video and output 1080p with no issues. ****]

Hopefully this helps ..

Cheers,

Bob ..

Thanks for your help Bob.

Yeah, I've the 1910 so I'm assuming I won't have that whole 1080i issue - but my prob is I want to output from the console at 1080p and then at the receiver switch between outputting vis component to my HD-Ready (:mad:) or hdmi to my full HD projector.

I've just been reading through a few threads on avforums just now and it seems it isn't possible (well, it isn't practical) - the hdmi signal is encoded which makes it difficult to convert.

What a pain... I don't think it's worth keeping the receiver. I'd probably be better off putting the 400 towards a full hd tv and get a hdmi splitter for 30 dollars on deal extreme (the audio from the ps3 would go to my existing amp via the optic cable).

NiceoneFranko (and thanks all other posters!),

Apologies I'm late getting to this forum - there is some confusion here okay and apologies if it's our fault but to start from the end - there is no issue taking your 1910 back for full credit - the last thing we want is an unhappy Boardie - so if you want to return it - just pop it back into the box with all the bits and we will get it collected from you.

The main issue (as far as I understand it) is that the HDCP protocol which is contained in the HDMI stream from your PS3 will only allow a HDMI output to be used and you cannot 'down' convert from HDMI to Component - You could use component from the PS3 to the 1910 and this will then output via both Component to your TV and HDMI to your Projector - alternatively (and we do not recommend this - you could try a 'HDCP stripper' which would allow you to output your HDMI via Component - however our experience of these is variable at best) this issue is not a feature of the 1910 - as Mollers says it's an industry protocol.

Apologies for taking so long to catch up with this forum and again just drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and the offer.

I've had a play with it and while it surely is a great amp it's not doing what I bought it for and it's not really giving me anything over what I already had (although I'm sure if I had decent speakers to go with it it'd make all the difference).

Realistically, my money'd be better spent on a tv + a hdmi splitter and then I'll go for an amp + speaker upgrade next time.

So, can you do an exchange/upsell for the denon -> 42PFL8404h?

...or, I keep the Denon if you can do me a really good deal on a tv and those boston acoustics speakers on special here?

No deals for franko :(

• Advertisement

Another happy customer...

Got the 42PFL8404h yesterday; lovely telly.

Thanks John, Kenny for professionalism and courtesy in the face of this little problem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.