Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking - grooved or not grooved side up?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

about to lay 16 X 16 ft decking and back of house. Can anyone advise on whether it is possible/advisable to lay with flat side facing up? Is this an accident waiting to happen are they more slippy this way?
    Also can anyone advise on stain please for scana pine boards? Looking for oak looking finish? What is a good brand to buy?

Can they be varnished too maybe with yatch varnish or this this too slippy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

I have the groove side up 'cos I was afraid of slips when the green algae forms. Even with the groves up its still slippery at times. Mine is treated pine stained a light oak with cuprinol spray on deck oil/treatment - looks good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

We've got the groove side up and give it a good scrub twice a year as it can get a bit slippy in frosty weather, I slipped on frost that I didn't see and broke my ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They are supposed to go groove side up, would be dangerous the other way. I have seen chicken wire netting stapled to smooth planks to make them less slippery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Oh groove side up for sure and lay them opposite to the way you will generally walk onto your decking to avoid / limit the common slippage problem

• Advertisement
Advertisement