Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocket Pod as amp backup?

• 23-03-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever try this? I'll try it myself the next time I'm in rehearsals, but just wondered if anyone has any experiences...

I'm basically wondering how useful a Pocket Pod would be if your amp went down at a gig. That is, plug your pedal board into the Pod on a neutral/clean setting and then run the Pocket Pod into the PA.

I've run my board into the PA before, and I've run a Pod into the PA, but never tried them together. I'm wondering how the Pocket Pod would take to a run of pedals. I've put an OD pedal before it before, but not my full board, which incorporates a valve-based preamp.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

You're not going to know until you try, but I doubt a 100 euro piece of kit is going to enhance your full board much. They're not designed for that(as you know). Let me know how you get on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

howya lad, i tried it a while back with my bass when my old hartke head decided to throw a bit of a hissy fit just before a gig in limerick, i had an o/d pedal and a compressor in front of it, then straight out to the desk. it worked, but only in the way a hammer works to put a screw in a piece of wood. sound came through to the desk, but it didnt sound great. still, it got me out of a massive hold.

i think you should try it some evening before a gig, just to see how good/bad it sounds with your pedalboard. give it a go and let us know how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Oh yeah, for me anything that goes direct to the desk sounds off -- I've tried Sansamps, various multi-effects, and direct from my pedal board -- none of them sounded right!

I was just thinking of the Pocket Pod as a handy, inexpensive piece of kit that I could keep in the guitar case and could salvage a gig if my amp burst into flames or something. Last resort only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Korg Pandora might be a better idea.

Sandvich wrote: »
    Korg Pandora might be a better idea.

Ah, but the Pod has the virtue of me already owning one!

• Advertisement

Ah, but the Pod has the virtue of me already owning one!

That's true. I hear they're really fragile though.

Picking up an XT second hand cheap might not be a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Yep. I have seen two different guitarists actually use the POD XT Live as their rig. Guitar - POD XT Live - PA.

It sounded fine. People in the audience don't a damn really.
    Might not be perfect for everyone, but definately ok for backup.

They feel fragile enough, alright.

Using it would only ever be a last resort, and my idea is that I 'd just keep it in the guitar case for that rare emergency where my amp blows up and there is no other amp I can borrow.

I'm considering getting a Pocket POD alright. It's between it and the Pandora for me. The Pocket POD is probably smoother and less harsh, but also less realistic. The Pandora also has more features. Ideally I should get both maybe.

I'd rather wait for a Pocket POD with XT tech maybe.

I like its version of the "Marshall JCM800" model. To be honest, I only use it for silent jamming at home, and it does the job for me. Only ever use the JCM model and their "Blackface Fender"....

• Advertisement
Advertisement