Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from 512 mb

Options
  • 23-03-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I have a Dell Dimension DIM 3000 with 512mb 32 bit,
    I want to upgrade as I want to run Win 7 and also just to keep up with the Jones,
    I got this info about my PC so Q is do I get 2 x 512mb sticks or 1 X GB stick or should I even go to 2GB, where should I buy etc, thanks, all advice welcome, Should I go for the 1GB and leave 1 X 256mb in PC so have 1.256 GB

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
    # Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
    # Available Memory Slots: 0
    # Total Memory Slots: 2
    # Dual Channel Support: Yes
    # CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
    # CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz Model 4, Stepping 1
    # CPU Speed: 2792 MHz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Go for 2GB, Windows 7 won't run smoothly on anything below that (Well ok it probably will run just fine on 1GB but when you start running many applications it will slow down considerably)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Howdy,

I'm no expert, but i think you are better off replacing them completely, and not just one module, as if the RAM you have in runs at a slower speed than the ew RAM, i think the new RAM then slows down to match.

I had a similar machine to you, and upgrading to 2 x 512mb made a massive difference, though not as much as reinstalling XP did!

The minimum requirements for windows 7 is here and it lists 1gb

http://windows.microsoft.com/systemrequirements

Komplett has a memory selector here

I you are to upgrade to windows 7 i would recommend getting 2x1gb of RAM.

That said XP is a fine operating system, i wouldn't bother if i were you (seeing as the RAM is €72 on top of what you are paying for windows 7)

That said, somebody more knowledgeable will be along shortly to help you out:)

Advertisement