Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel from Raheny to Earlsfort Terrace

Options
  • 23-03-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone any ideas on the best way to commute from Raheny to Earlsfort Terrace in Dublin 2?

Looks like I may finally be about to land a job in Earlsfort Terrace

I live in Raheny and have access to a car. However, there will be only onstreet parking available in this new job and I cannot really justify this cost.

I know the 128 will drop me right to where I want to go but cannot think of a decent place to park up the car around Clarehall where i could catch the bus

The Dart is a fair walk from where I live and another long walk at the other end which would be fine with me in the good weather but not so much on the cold, dark and rainy days

I have Googled 'car pools' but very little has come back

Any ideas would be very welcome

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

If you can find parking in Baldoyle or Portmarnock/Malahide then the 32X may work for you. It will drop you at the bottom of Leeson Street. It's not that far a walk from Eden Quay (29A) or Pearse St Station if you were to take the DART. Maybe 20 mins or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

could you not park in the small car park in lough derg at the back of the dart station and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Could you park in the church grounds? It's right beside the Dart and I think it's hardly used during the week except for the odd funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Could you park in the church grounds? It's right beside the Dart and I think it's hardly used during the week except for the odd funeral.
    I think they've introduced pay parking / clamping in there.

My parents still live in Raheny and I remember my mother mentioning someting about it being potentially introduced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dcr22B wrote: »
    I think they've introduced pay parking / clamping in there.

My parents still live in Raheny and I remember my mother mentioning someting about it being potentially introduced.

they have, its only for churchgoers now, thats why i mentioned the other carpark.
    it fills up fairly early op

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could get the bus to Fairview and switch to the 128 there.
    Unless you're paying daily fares, if you've got a commuter ticket you may as well make use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Thanks everyone, all really helpful info.

Just looking at all the options and going to try them all til I find one that I can work with while working shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If you're getting a DART, there's a Dublin Bike station in Earlsfort Terrace and 5 mins on a DB from Pearse Street would get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

MintyDoris wrote: »
    The Dart is a fair walk from where I live

I don't mean to sound unhelpful, but that doesn't sound like Raheny. The train station is right in the middle of the village, easily accessible from all sides of Raheny. Perhaps if you're living in an adjoining area like Edenmore, Coolock, or Artane people could better direct you to public transport.

Loads of buses also pass through Raheny village like the 29a, 31, and 32a
    MintyDoris wrote: »
    and another long walk at the other end which would be fine with me in the good weather but not so much on the cold, dark and rainy days

It's less than 15 mins brisk walk from Pearse Station to Stephens Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

donaghs wrote: »
    It's less than 15 mins brisk walk from Pearse Station to Stephens Green.

A 15 minute walk in the rain is still a 15 minute walk in the rain. If you get wet going to work, you'll be wet for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭donaghs

markpb wrote: »
    A 15 minute walk in the rain is still a 15 minute walk in the rain. If you get wet going to work, you'll be wet for the rest of the day.

True but I know lots of people who've been doing this for years (coming from Bray, Maynooth, Skerries, etc). Most of them carry a good umbrella so they dont get wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

OP if you're relying on transport to take you across the city centre so as to save you a 15 min walk to St Stephen's Green you may find that during the wet weather you will be adding up to an hour onto your journey. I worked in that area (coming from the Raheny/Kilbarrack stations) before and travelled by DART. Your best bet is to invest in a good pair of waterproof/resistant & comfortable shoes, a large bag & a decent walking jacket.

I used to carry my workshoes, tuck my trouser ends into my socks if necessary and walk to work from the station. Change when I got to work and then change when I was leaving.

You will soon get tired of watching the world go by while you're stuck on a smelly bus. Even in wet weather there's alot to be said for the exercise you can get walking to/from work.

Advertisement