Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Biking to The UK

• 23-03-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭

Just looking for Advice.
    In April I intend to Travel on a Friday after work from Work In South Dublin by Boat to London ( SW3 2SE ).
    And then Back the Following Tuesday to Athy.
    On my Deauville.
    Now I have a few options.
    Boat from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead or Boat from Rosslare to Pembrook/Fishguard.

Not sure if I should go from Holyhead seen as it is down the road, or go from Rosslare as its close to London.
    Dont mind spending the extra 10 euro each way on the fast Ferry.
    But Ive never been out of the country on the Bike.
    Has anybody ever done the trip before.
    and has anybody any tips, routes to take, boats ( companies ) to stay away from, places to stop for a coffee and a biscuit.

Work finishes at 5 on the friday and will most likely want to get home in the evening on the tuesday so an afternoon sail would be better, as ill be back in work the next day.

cheers for your help.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I would post this in the motors (cars) forum - you will get a better response on routes, etc.

I have heard that Stenna Line are the best ferry company for bikes.
    Book throught Nut Travel for your ferry tickets.
    They do great prices for bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

P.C. wrote: »
    I would post this in the motors (cars) forum - you will get a better response on routes, etc.

I have heard that Stenna Line are the best ferry company for bikes.
    Book throught Nut Travel for your ferry tickets.
    They do great prices for bikes.

Would you not be better off going direct with Stena as you would then cut out the middle man?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Would you not be better off going direct with Stena as you would then cut out the middle man?

No - Nut Travel will be able to give you a better price than you can get online, over the phone, or just arriving for the ferry.

Strange, but true.

Don't ask me how, but trust me on this one. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

rameire wrote: »
    Just looking for Advice.
    In April I intend to Travel on a Friday after work from Work In South Dublin by Boat to London ( SW3 2SE ).
    And then Back the Following Tuesday to Athy.
    On my Deauville.
    Now I have a few options.
    Boat from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead or Boat from Rosslare to Pembrook/Fishguard.

Not sure if I should go from Holyhead seen as it is down the road, or go from Rosslare as its close to London.
    Dont mind spending the extra 10 euro each way on the fast Ferry.
    But Ive never been out of the country on the Bike.
    Has anybody ever done the trip before.
    and has anybody any tips, routes to take, boats ( companies ) to stay away from, places to stop for a coffee and a biscuit.

Work finishes at 5 on the friday and will most likely want to get home in the evening on the tuesday so an afternoon sail would be better, as ill be back in work the next day.

cheers for your help.

I booked ferry direct with Irish Ferries last week for Moto GP in Silverstone in June 130euro return from Dublin to Holyhead,didnt try Nutt but have heard they can be cheaper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Route planner on the aa will show you the motorway stops, so you can plan your breaks.
    http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

On the way out, your choice may be dictated by Ferry sailing times, and which you can reach, after work on a Friday. The difference in distance is 6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other.

Having done many of the routes, I'd go with the one nearest you, and get into the UK a.s.a.p.

If you're not afraid of night driving, it's about 4.5 hours to London from Holyhead, so even if you get a slow night sailing, you would be in Holyhead at 00:30, and could be in London for brekky. :D

Riding at night, the motorway will be empty, so need to hurry, and little traffic.

On the way back leave London early Tues a.m., arrive Holyhead for the 13.50, in Dublin for 17.05, and how long Dublin - Athy ? I hr ?

Home in time for tea!

Tip: bring water and a snack in case you get dehydrated or hungry -it'll help stave off a headache too. I have taken to bringing water and a bar or two everywhere, and well, I'm afraid, Solpadeine too ! I find that I usually only need it if I forget to bring it !

You'll need to stop for juice on the way down the motorway, so I'd say everytime you stop for juice, always grab a cup of tea or something hot - soup is good, or a pasta something. It's cold enough on the bike at the best of times, so grab hot stuff when you can.

Oh jeebus - nearly forgot: earplugs ! Don't forget earplugs !

Riding without the windnoise makes it so much easier, and you'll hear traffic better with them in, too. You'll arrive much more relaxed - unwittingly, riding long distances, esp if dark and wet, without them requires a lot of concentration, and it's very wearing.

Bring at least one spare pair of gloves and socks. If it does bucket down, at least you'll get some respite.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

All the advice given is spot on,though I wouldn't personally be rushing to book with Polish Ferries out of Rosslare.StenaLine is 10 times better,you are first on the boat to tie down as a biker and first off in Fishguard.SL also have all lagging around the buckles to prevent damage to your seat or petrol tank but put your gloves on the seat as well for added peace of mind.And they also always leave on time.
    On the other side,riding is good.Allow 5 hrs to get to London via the M4 from Fishguard allowing for stops and getting warm again:).Motorway service stations are dotted every 30-50miles along the way,open 24hrs for petrol but hot food does be hard come by in the early hours at some of them.The driving is of good standard until you get to London but once there it's a free for all,keep your eyes peeled ;).
    If you do go the M4,bikes are free on the Severn Bridge(going east there are no barriers,coming west there is,drive up to the barrier and they will lift it).I've only been in London driving with a truck inside the congestin charge area and it was £8 but I'm usure whether motorcycles are exempt or not,brieftly checking their website www.tfl.gov.uk all I see is reference to motor tricycles being exempt.
    The police are good in england and south wales to bikes.The have unmarked cars and bikes and average speed camera's all over the place and even a souped up dark blue Mercedes Vito van in Haverfordwest :D.I got pulled on the way to Plymouth for the boat to Spain,104.3mph on the motorway,they let me off with a bollocking because they deemed my riding to be good.They have common sense.
    North Wales is a totally different story,they can be competely over the top to anything that has an Irish numberplate.
    Lock your bike everytime you go out of eyesight of it,it'll be gone in seconds.I had a tankbag pinched at a service station outside Bristol in broad daylight,my own stupidity for thinking it was safe.
    If you dont have an I-phone it may be handy to have a list of a few bike shops along your route that you can divert to if you have a problem.On the trip to Spain I rolled on the boat in Plymouth but had a front wheel puncture by the time we landed in Santander,had the name of a shop and the gps directed me to it,crisis averted.
    Over all,it's nothing major and enjoy your first trip abroad.You'll come back wishing you didn't have to drive on Irish roads ever again:)

All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Reading that last post, it might be a good idea to bring a can of Holts Tyreweld just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Reading that last post, it might be a good idea to bring a can of Holts Tyreweld just in case

thats one thing I have constantly in my bike due to doing about 800km per week. thankfully have not had to use it since having it in my bike for 6 months or so now.

Thank you to all the replies so far, I really appreciate it and it is all good helpful information, especially for some things i would never have thought about.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement