Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shock Collars

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

peasant wrote: »
    The obvious positive enforcement way to train for that would be to get him to "sit" every time someone is coming up to him and reward that sit with a treat/praise.

You still might have to correct him the odd time though when he gets too boisterous.

BTW ..there is nothing wrong with correcting your dog every now and then ...provided that the dog knows what is normally expected in a situation (and has been trained for it) and just doesn't want to follow the rules.
    Not every behaviour can be changed by positive re-inforcement...sometimes you just have to give out to your dog or rein it in to remind it of the rules.

We are working a lot on getting him to sit when out in public, but to be fair to him he just loves people and dogs and gets excited. Im not sure its going to change.

I totally agree that sometimes you have to just give out to them or just get their attention and although I dont use a collar, I think this is exactly what they are designed for. I have no problem with them if used like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

It's nothing but cruelty. Their existence makes my blood boil :mad: They should be illegal here - I'm from Wales, and they're pretty poor for animal welfare TBH, if they ban them, it really does say something!

Sorry, but anyone who uses them is being pure lazy IMHO, it's just any excuse to not have to actually *work* at training a dog. Vile cruel things.

xx

Advertisement