Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 baltazar

thenobody wrote: »
    And seen as you are living in the US you will need to get a police cert from there also - and any other country you have lived in.

I lived in Australia for 8 months, will I need to get a police cert from there too or is there a minimum amount of time that you would need to be living in a place (like a year maybe) before you need to get this cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

It seems the answer to that is no.
    Also you don't need a US police cert if you are doing an adjustment of status (already in the US). But if opted to do consular processing (ie. In Ireland) then a US cert is needed.

If older than 16 and lived over 12 months in foreign country cert is needed.

Some good info here

• Registered Users Posts: 7 snowy2011

does anyone know if there is a rule about the police certs... do they have to be within 3 months of the interview?

I lived in the uk for a few years... so just wondering if i get it now it will still be good as it will cover the whole duration that i was there as it was 10 years ago

They should be within three months.
    At least get the Irish one in their. They can take over a month to be sent. If difficult to time it right. Throw in other countries and it can really hard.
    Get the uk one well in advance and you'll just have to hope it all works out.
    As someone said here they know of someone who was turned away cos the cert wasn't within three months. You'll have to judge it by your case number.
    I think this is the only thing you need/should to plan in advance of gettin the interview letter from the embassy.

I think the medical has to be dated within six weeks of the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭g_moriarty

When is dv-2014 open for applications?

• Advertisement

does anyone have any idea what sort of evidence you need to show that you have been working in a job for 2 years that needs at least 2 years of training or experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Can I ask, those of you who were successful this year, when did you apply? Specifically, did you apply in the first week the lottery was open? There is a rumour going around that all/most successful applicants this year applied very early, and that the recent downtime of the DV website may be related to them investigating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

silja wrote: »
    Can I ask, those of you who were successful this year, when did you apply? Specifically, did you apply in the first week the lottery was open? There is a rumour going around that all/most successful applicants this year applied very early, and that the recent downtime of the DV website may be related to them investigating that.
    I heard a similar rumour only I heard all the successful candidates were from two specific days and that's also why the site is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

i applied for last 6 years and just won thank god,i applied the 2nd day of lottery for myself and did one for wife ,mine came up ;yes' yes ,have all the forms sent off just watching an post tracking now to see when they get it. ive applied as family so if anybody has won last year as family of 4 ,please give me a ring or pm me there phone number as would love to hear how they got on and what not to do.my number is 0872452114 thank you

davymc31 wrote: »
    i applied for last 6 years and just won thank god,i applied the 2nd day of lottery for myself and did one for wife ,mine came up ;yes' yes ,have all the forms sent off just watching an post tracking now to see when they get it. ive applied as family so if anybody has won last year as family of 4 ,please give me a ring or pm me there phone number as would love to hear how they got on and what not to do.my number is 0872452114 thank you

We are a family of four that won last year:)

• Advertisement

I applied within the first couple of days of the lottery opening for both myself and my girlfriend and we were both selected. The site has been down now for a very long time, almost a week at this stage.

I had a look on some other blogs and there seems to be a lot of people saying that the majority of winners this year applied on either the 5th or 6th of October and that the State Department Website is down while this is being investigated. I don't know how accurate this information is, it could be rubbish. I don't know if the State Depratment could scratch the results and perform the lottery again.....surely not!!

http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

What a joke, do we get a refund on the money we spent on the application!!

What are the chances of winning when the lottery is drawn again!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

More info...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/13/us-usa-visa-mistake-idUSTRE74C44C20110513

U.S. makes mistake on visa lottery, must redraw

(Reuters) - More than 22,000 people were erroneously told they were eligible for a special U.S. visa program because of a computer error in an annual lottery and the drawing must be redone, a U.S. official said on Friday.
    The official, who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity, said the United States regretted any inconvenience or disappointment caused by the mistake and that the results of the new drawing were expected to be available around July 15.
    Under the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, the U.S. government makes available some 50,000 visas each year drawn from a random selection to people who come from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
    The official said that because of a computer programing error, 90 percent of the winners were selected from the first two days of applications rather than from the entire batch of applications over the 30-day registration period.
    Some 19.6 million people had applied for the visas, which give them the opportunity to immigrate without having a family member or an employer sponsor them -- the typical route to a U.S. "green card" denoting permanent residency.
    The U.S. government developed the malfunctioning computer program, the official said. It has been fixed and no one will be disciplined for the error, said a second official.

The application is free - oh you mean getting the photos for the forms.

Of course the chances are the same as they were before.

Oh damn man, that aint good!

Did seem like a hell of a lot of you "got it" - makes more sense now.

this is a disgrace... how can they do this to people, provide you with absolute hope and dream and then take it all away in an instant.......
    what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jager Man

No idea what to say at all. I'm so disappointed seriously relaxed my plans for trying to stay on working in the US. The difference between getting a job when you need to get sponsored and having a green card is night and day. Very upset about this, don't know how the g/f will react when she finds this out... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Some guys on forums.immigration.com speculated this about a week ago, and got a load of abuse saying they were sore losers that they didn't win. Guess they were right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Interesting turn of events, to be sure..

snowy2011 wrote: »
    this is a disgrace... how can they do this to people, provide you with absolute hope and dream and then take it all away in an instant.......
    what a joke

In fairness getting selected for next stage doesn't guarantee you a green card also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jager Man

In fairness getting selected for next stage doesn't guarantee you a green card also.

Ah in fairness there's a pretty low chance of that happening as long as you stick by the guidelines, unless you have a super low number. Either way this is a serious kick in the balls for people, like me, who over the past two weeks have told all my family, close friends, and colleagues, spent time meeting with previous winners/lawyers/ potential employers about this.

Serious let down by the system, shocking stuff.

• Advertisement

I still though there was only as 50% chance of been called for the interview then, since 100,000 get notification, then they issue out 50,000 green cards, anyways I can understand how much of a blow it must be. I would myself like to get a green card. Been applying for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newbeginnings

Im a winner this year, well i was but whats ment to be will be, so dont get too hung up on the results, im not..
    To username 'the noboby', thanks for all the great info, having only got some kind of confirmation from an attorney in New York that i was eligable on Educational requirements, it somewhat lifted my spirits, but guessing today being Friday the 13th, all we can do is laugh :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭burrentech

Im a winner this year, well i was but whats ment to be will be, so dont get too hung up on the results, im not..
    To username 'the noboby', thanks for all the great info, having only got some kind of confirmation from an attorney in New York that i was eligable on Educational requirements, it somewhat lifted my spirits, but guessing today being Friday the 13th, all we can do is laugh :-)

That couldn't have announced it on a better(worse) day! Oh well fingers crossed for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

very harsh news for people who thought they were in and more suspense for the rest of us

Here is the latest from the lottery
    http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

**IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE 2012 DIVERSITY LOTTERY PROGRAM**

We regret to inform you that, due to a computer programming problem, the results of the 2012 Diversity Lottery that were previously posted on this website have been voided. They were not valid and were posted in error. The results were not valid because they did not represent a fair, random selection of entrants, as required by U.S. law.

If you checked this website during the first week in May and found a notice that you had been selected for further processing or a notice that you had not been selected, that notice has been rescinded and is no longer valid.

A new selection process will be conducted based on the original entries for the 2012 program.

If you submitted a qualified entry from October 5, 2010 to November 3, 2010, your entry remains with us. It will be included in the new selection lottery. Your confirmation number to check results on this website is still valid.

We expect the results of the new selection process to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

We regret any inconvenience this might have caused.

Click here to view a message from David T. Donahue, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Visa Services:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why was it necessary to invalidate the names that were selected?

U.S. law requires that Diversity Immigrant visas be made available through a strictly random process. A computer programming error resulted in a selection that was not truly random.

Since the computer programming error caused an outcome that was not random, the outcome did not meet the requirements of the law, and would have been unfair to many DV entrants.

Q: Is the 2012 Diversity Visa Program cancelled?

No. The 2012 program will continue. The computer programming error has been identified and corrected. The Department of State will run a new selection using all the qualified entries (ones received between October 5, 2010 and November 3, 2010) it received for the 2012 program.

Q: Do I have to submit a new application?

No. You may not submit a new application. We will use all qualified entries received during the October 5 to November 3, 2010 registration period.

Q: Will you open a new entry period?

New entries will not be accepted.

Q: I checked the Entry Status Check website after May 1 and it said I had been selected. Can I apply for a DV visa?

Unfortunately results previously posted on this website were not valid because the selection process was not fair or random. We will take the entries of all individuals who sent in their registration during the original October 5 to November 3, 2010 time period and run a new lottery. We regret any inconvenience or disappointment this has caused. We expect new results to be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011.

Q: How can I check the results of the new selection?

The new results should be available on this website on or about July 15, 2011. The confirmation code you received when you registered is still valid for use on the website.

Q: Was the Department of State hacked? Was my personal information at risk?

We have no evidence that this problem was caused by any intentional act. No unauthorized party accessed data related to the DV program.

This appears to be solely the result of a computer programming error.

iThis really is a joke!! To find out that you have won the lottery only to have it taken away 2 weeks later.

I'm in the fortunate position of having a relatively good job here in Ireland that for now seems relatively secure. I know there must be people on here who were informed that they had won who may well have been made redundant during this recession and this could well have been a golden opportunity for these people. For anyone in that position I have incredible sympathy for and it really puts my disappointment into perspective.

I wonder how many people of the millions who checked at the beginning of May and on finding out they weren't successful discrded their original confirmation numbers. I'd imagine some people would have discarded or deleted after finding out they were not succesful. As far as Im aware there is no way of finding out your confirmation number and there is no mail notification system in place so there now could be a number of selectees who potentailly will not even know that they have been selected when the lottey is re-run.

Ah well, roll on the 15t of July, we're not completely out of the unning yet!

baltazar wrote: »
    iThis really is a joke!! To find out that you have won the lottery only to have it taken away 2 weeks later.

I'm in the fortunate position of having a relatively good job here in Ireland that for now seems relatively secure. I know there must be people on here who were informed that they had won who may well have been made redundant during this recession and this could well have been a golden opportunity for these people. For anyone in that position I have incredible sympathy for and it really puts my disappointment into perspective.

I wonder how many people of the millions who checked at the beginning of May and on finding out they weren't successful discrded their original confirmation numbers. I'd imagine some people would have discarded or deleted after finding out they were not succesful. As far as Im aware there is no way of finding out your confirmation number and there is no mail notification system in place so there now could be a number of selectees who potentailly will not even know that they have been selected when the lottey is re-run.

Ah well, roll on the 15t of July, we're not completely out of the unning yet!
    You don't need your confirmation number -We never bothered checking the site to see if we were selected, we just got our forms in the post telling us we were selected. So if anyone is lucky enough to be selected again in the next round they will be informed by post.No worries there! but it is a bummer for anyone who thought they got it this time.

As far as i know they did away with posting out forms and winning notifications this year so it's solely up to the person to check online using their confirmation number and then download the forms to submit them. They might post out winning notifications this year after all that has gone on.

baltazar wrote: »
    As far as i know they did away with posting out forms and winning notifications this year so it's solely up to the person to check online using their confirmation number and then download the forms to submit them. They might post out winning notifications this year after all that has gone on.
    That's not good then because as you said people may not still have their number they will have to make allowance for this. Ours was DV 2010 and we were just posted out our forms. We were away on holidays when the results were posted and we forgot to check on-line so the first contact we got was by post.

• Advertisement

i think this new lottery is going to be a disaster..... people having thrown away their status check code. i would say there is probably some people out there who still think they are selected and wont know about this... surely with all the technology they have they would have done a statistics check before making the results available... really poor showing

Advertisement