Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the medical exam required for the Green Card interview.

My boyfriend was selected in the Diversity Lottery this year and, as the number assigned to him is low, his embassy interview is coming up this month (October). His letter confirming the interview date arrived in the post this morning. There was no info on where to go for the medical so after some googling he rang a place in Dublin which is the only doctor in the country registered to carry out the medical exam (it seems the Cork and Galway options aren't available any more). The earliest appointment he can get is the day after the embassy interview. The receptionist said that she has heard of the embassy allowing results to be sent in late, i.e. after the interview but that it doesn't happen "that often". He has asked to be contacted if there is a cancellation, but it may be unlikely.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it worth going to the interview anyway, even if the medical hasn't taken place? The first notification about the interview was via email (which directed to an online login on the embassy website), but there was no info about where to go for the medical exam there either. Hence this all happening a bit late, as we thought the info would come in the letter from the embassy.

Also, there's no time given for the interview in the letter, just a date. Is this normal?

All replies appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

you should ring the embassy and ask them.
    firstly, you should have been given a time for the interview. thats really bad they didnt give that. so ring them for that.
    generally the letters are received 6 weeks before the interview so it seems this is closer to the interview date.

When you knew the low case number you should have researched online for the doctors and booked with them. the results of the medical can take over a week to come back after the date with the doctor for the medical.
    The main doctor in Dublin is Gleeson in Blackrock Clinic - well it used to be, probably still is.
    I wouldnt go to the interview without the sealed medical results.

Try get the date changed for the interview when you ring the embassy.

You should also have gone a requested your police certificate a while ago by now. That can take a long time to be received. If you havent applied for it may be to late for the interview for that too. Do it immediately.

Get all your documentation together too, bank statements history showing you have enough money etc, education certs and transcripts from the universities, etc etc.

Good luck

edit: BTW there are only certain times you can ring the embassy about the DV lottery i believe. like 11am to 12pm or something like that. make sure to check that out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Thanks for the reply. He actually has the Garda clearance done as we thought it would take ages (it only took 2 days). He has asked to be contacted if there is a cancellation with the doctor in Blackrock, so there is a slim chance it might be done in time, but along with waiting for the results, the chances aren't great.

In any case, he is going to contact the embassy today so maybe the interview can be rescheduled. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Where do I go to actually apply for the lottery, can't find it anywhere!

sugarman wrote: »
    https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

First page of the thread & first thing that pops up in google:rolleyes:

Opens in 2hrs time.

I was on that page, didn't notice it wasn't open for two hours. Cheers for that

• Advertisement

that's still not working?

EDIT: working now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 darrenz21

Sitec wrote: »
    that's still not working?

EDIT: working now

Still not working :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

darrenz21 wrote: »
    Still not working :confused:

Works for me here: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/application.aspx what error are you getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catonkey

Does anyone know if having education qualifications beyond a high school level (i.e. a bachelors/masters degree) makes any difference if you don't have the leaving or are you still excluded because you didn't finish high school level?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No difference it's a "or greater" situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

So the timeline goes like so:
    Apply in October/November
    Results come out May/June
    Interview dates start in September and continue until everyone has been processed.
    Quick question-how do they notify you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

They don't notify you when the results come out; it's up to you to follow it up. Return to the DV Lottery website on results day, type in the application number you received when your application went through, et voila, it'll give you a yay or a nay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 catonkey

BuffyBot wrote: »
    No difference it's a "or greater" situation

That's why I thought the degrees might count in place of the leaving as they're a higher qualification? I guess that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I think a degree does count. It is 'greater' than the LC, after all.

catonkey wrote: »
    That's why I thought the degrees might count in place of the leaving as they're a higher qualification? I guess that's not the case.

No, you and Buffy Bot are both correct. If you have a degree, this is "greater" than the Leaving, so you don't need to worry about not having the Leaving as you have something better.

They don't notify you when the results come out; it's up to you to follow it up. Return to the DV Lottery website on results day, type in the application number you received when your application went through, et voila, it'll give you a yay or a nay.
    So I was right about the timeline then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

Hey, just a couple of questions about the visa application.

1. In the education section. I passed my leaving cert and I also have a 1 year PLC cert. should i put option (3) High school degree, or (4) Vocational school?

2. I don't have a camera. I have a webcam. What is the best way of getting a photo considering they need a digital copy?

3. I'm not too clear on the length of the visa. I read somewhere that it is only for 1 year. Is this correct? I was under the impression the lottery was for a permanent green card.

Thanks

1.It requires a high school degree or it's equivalent-so option 3.
    2.You can get it done at the same place you would a passport,just tell them it's a green card photo.(theres a whole load of info in this thread).
    3.Indefinite,but spend too long away from the U.S and they'll take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I'm getting married on the 29th October.

Is it better for both of us to apply as single people, as opposed to married?

Would it stand against us if we apply as single, but if chosen we'd be married?

I'm getting married on the 29th October.

Is it better for both of us to apply as single people, as opposed to married?

Would it stand against us if we apply as single, but if chosen we'd be married?
    Nearly 100% sure you both can double your chances by entering individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

3.Indefinite,but spend too long away from the U.S and they'll take it away.

It's actually for 10 years. You can apply for citizenship after 5 years though. But if you don't and only want to stay on the GC then it's 10years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

It's actually for 10 years. You can apply for citizenship after 5 years though. But if you don't and only want to stay on the GC then it's 10years.
    The card is valid for 10 years but it can be renewed indefinetly once you fulfill the residency conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

Hopefully someone could help me...I have my passport photo on mem stick but when i try to test my photo the size is too big(240kb is the max) and then when I reduce the size they require 600x600 pixels, anyone got any websites that could solve this problem for me or even explain how to update the photo using MS photo manager or even MS Paint :D thanks

Hopefully someone could help me...I have my passport photo on mem stick but when i try to test my photo the size is too big(240kb is the max) and then when I reduce the size they require 600x600 pixels, anyone got any websites that could solve this problem for me or even explain how to update the photo using MS photo manager or even MS Paint :D thanks
    You might as well go to a place that will burn it onto a CD for you,heard there was a place on grafton street that did it.Check old posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

You might as well go to a place that will burn it onto a CD for you,heard there was a place on grafton street that did it.Check old posts.

I have the picture but when I check to see does it work I am told file is too large then if I try to change the size they require 600x600pixels....Help anyone ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

you can download Infraview for free onto your PC that allows you to resize your pictures, you just open the picture and then select Image - Resize

in the pop up window that opens you can set your new size in pixles, just make sure the largest dimension is 600. then click file save as to create a new version of you picture so you dont mess up the original. you then upload this new version.

if that doesnt work go back in to the resize option and deselct the preserve aspect ration and set both sizes to 600 x 600 pixles

there's also some sites that might be able to help like

http://picresize.com/
    http://snipshot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 zerozay

I have the picture but when I check to see does it work I am told file is too large then if I try to change the size they require 600x600pixels....Help anyone ...

Don't know if this is too late for you now, but the photo you submit needs to be 600x600 pixels and no larger than 240KB in size. When I prepared my photo, I found the easiest way of meeting these requirements was to crop the photo first so the width and height were the same amount of pixels. Then I re-sized it down to the 600x600 pixels.

Also make sure you have the photo composed properly as well ie it's not too dark / light, no shadows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

sO THE PHOTO they ask for isn't passport size. What time on sat does this close. My mother is away for a few days and she wants to enter this.

It closes at 12pm EST on the 5th, that is 5pm GMT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

silja wrote: »
    It closes at 12pm EST on the 5th, that is 5pm GMT.

Is there a way I can take my mother out of a photo from my brothers grad and use that. I have one of her but either with a blue sky or the sun going down

Advertisement