Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

cena wrote: »
    Is there a way I can take my mother out of a photo from my brothers grad and use that. I have one of her but either with a blue sky or the sun going down

You can if it meets all the specifications listed on the website re: background, hair, ears not covered etc. It also must be recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

silja wrote: »
    You can if it meets all the specifications listed on the website re: background, hair, ears not covered etc. It also must be recent.

Well the sun is in the background. It was taken while on a boat last nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Sounds unlikely to meet the guidlines laid out here https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx. See the examples they give..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Sounds unlikely to meet the guidlines laid out here https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/photo.aspx. See the examples they give..

I was thinking if I could remove her from that photo and put her in a photo awith a white back ground

Also i'v an english birth cert but was brought Bach too Ireland a few days after I was born. Can I still apply. Also my mother is English but married an Irish man can she apply also.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I chose option "some university courses' as I dropped out of first year arts. Will this be ok? Also have pass leaving cert but failed maths will this also be sufficient?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I heard they selected more winners than actual green cards available,is this true?

I heard they selected more winners than actual green cards available,is this true?

It is true, because many of the winners decide not to take up their option (got a good job at home, don't have the money, decide they'd be too homesick etc), or are not elligible (don't pass the educational or financial requirements).

It is true, because many of the winners decide not to take up their option (got a good job at home, don't have the money, decide they'd be too homesick etc), or are not elligible (don't pass the educational or financial requirements).
    What are the financial requirements Silja?

I believe it is not as clear cut as with other immigration visas (where you need to make around $19'000 for two people, or have five times as much in assets), but you need a decent amount of money in the bank so you will not become a burden on the USA tax payer, or have a US based sponsor. Hopefully some of the past winners on here can answer this in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Just have as much money possible in your account.I think i had about 7500 eur at the time.Also take along any paper work for things you own.Eg Car,Land,House
    All they want to see is that once you get to the States you are not going to need Social services help.Even if you have to borrow money from family and put it into your account for 6mths to build your account up.Although i wouldn't really advise doing this but could be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It's 125% of the poverty threshold I think. I could be massively wrong

Conor108 wrote: »
    It's 125% of the poverty threshold I think. I could be massively wrong
    What's the poverty threshold in the states at now?

According to the Institute for research on poverty,for a single unrelated individual it is $11,139,so if Conor108 is right you must have $13,923.

Poverty guidelines are here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Poverty guidelines are here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
    So I would be right in saying that the requirement for a single person is $9193.5?

So I would be right in saying that the requirement for a single person is $9193.5?

No, it doesn't half, as certain expenses such as a car, rent etc don't half. The minimum is around $14'000. Keep in mind that your Irish job doesn't count, as it ends when you move, and they don't usually accept a job offer (as it can be withdrawn). The reason the guideline page starts at 2 is because the expectation is that you either have assets (where you need x3 the poverty line for your household size for most immigration visas) or a US based sponsor, ie that sponsor's household will be minimum you and him/her.

No, it doesn't half, as certain expenses such as a car, rent etc don't half. The minimum is around $14'000. Keep in mind that your Irish job doesn't count, as it ends when you move, and they don't usually accept a job offer (as it can be withdrawn). The reason the guideline page starts at 2 is because the expectation is that you either have assets (where you need x3 the poverty line for your household size for most immigration visas) or a US based sponsor, ie that sponsor's household will be minimum you and him/her.
    So is this a "cut-off" point,i.e. anyone who doesn't have this at hand would be rejected?

So is this a "cut-off" point,i.e. anyone who doesn't have this at hand would be rejected?

I am not sure for DV lottery visas, they may be a little more lenient esp if you have a firm job offer, but for family based immigration (spouse, parent, siblings etc) yes, you'd be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I applied for a DV back in November and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the financial requirements needed ie money in the bank? like most people i dont have a huge nest egg, in fact i dont have any nest egg, but I am a hoem owner and have been working for almost 2 years straight, have som technical IT qialifications and a degree in business so education wise i should be OK. I can probably save up 2-3K between now and april and maybe get my mother to add another 2-3 K to the pot. would that be sufficient or should i consider looking at getting a job offer?

Faolchu wrote: »
    I applied for a DV back in November and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the financial requirements needed ie money in the bank? like most people i dont have a huge nest egg, in fact i dont have any nest egg, but I am a hoem owner and have been working for almost 2 years straight, have som technical IT qialifications and a degree in business so education wise i should be OK. I can probably save up 2-3K between now and april and maybe get my mother to add another 2-3 K to the pot. would that be sufficient or should i consider looking at getting a job offer?

You own a home, so if that is 3x the poverty line (approx. €14,000) you're fine.
    Combine this with your potential €6000 and you will be fine financially speaking.
    You have a college degree along with some other qualifications.This is great.
    You should of course look at getting a job offer,as it will only help you in your interview (see O.P. for details of interview).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

The home wont count.
    It is a massive debt you have so its hardly a positive.
    Your education seems fine.
    Just get as much money as you can in the bank (in stages). Should be ok. Get the medical done and police cert and everything else in order then should be ok.

If you applied in November why are you talking about april? Sound like you havent even been picked for an interview - and wouldnt be until the summer.

i mention april coz thats when they start calling people for interview, i just figured it might be best to have the cash in the bank prior to that to show it wasnt moved from one account to another to make it look like i had cash i didnt have.

Thats incorrect.
    The time to apply is Oct/Nov in, for example, 2011.
    Selections are notified in June/July 2012. A case number is assigned.
    Greencards are released monthly from Sept 2012 onwards and they are sequentially based on the case numbers in different world regions.
    When someones case number in a particular month becomes "current" i.e. numbers released reaches as high as the case number they are then informed about an interview to happen 4 to 6 to 8 weeks later.
    Therefore depending on peoples case numbers they could be called for interview anywhere between Sept 2012 and July 2013.
    People with interviews in Sept, Oct, Nov will obviously not have as much time to prepare and sort everything out as the people with higher case numbers.
    Also, if a person has a high enough case number they could never be called for an interview. Being selected is the first part, then its down to your case number being in a certain range of greencards being made available.
    For familys etc. there is one case number applied but they could take many greencards - eg. family of five could get five greencards on one case number and this could reduce the maximum number of greencards released before it gets to the higher case number people.

You need the money in the bank before the interview not the start of the interviewing process and you should show it gradually going into the bank. Not a suspicious lump sump dumped in a week before the interview.

thenobody wrote: »
    Not a suspicious lump sump dumped in a week before the interview.

yeah i was planning on lodging any larger sums in on a week by week basis into a credit union account or something as if it was savings and not money i had recieved from my mother in a lump.
    Selections are notified in June/July 2012. A case number is assigned.
    the DV website mentioned April or maybe May 1st I'd recieve a case number if i was sellected to proceed to the next stage back when i applied in November 2011. but i knew the actual interview process started much later in the year as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

When you applied you should have got this submission confirmation:

Thank you for your entry for the 2013 Diversity Visa Lottery.
    Please either print this page or make a record of the confirmation number before closing this window. You will not be able to retrieve this number after you close this window.
    You must retain your confirmation number in order to check your entry status via http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC/ between May 1, 2012 and April 30, 2013 to determine whether your entry was selected for further processing in the 2013 Diversity Visa Lottery. You will be REQUIRED to enter your confirmation number in combination with other personal information in order to check on your entry status.
    Selectees will not receive selectee notifications or letters by regular postal mail from the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC).
    Do not submit additional Entry Forms with this person as the Primary Entrant! Multiple entries will disqualify the Entrant from participation in the 2013 Diversity Visa Lottery.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    When you applied you should have got this submission confirmation:

yeah saved that and the number i was given onto my laptop, onto my USB key, printed it out and placed it with all my other documehnts etc just so i wouldnt misplace it

When's the best time to apply,when as soon as possible,or till I have a college degree and what not?

Well you apply in October when the application process opens.
    If you arent in it you cant be picked.
    If at the point you are picked and get called for an interview and you have degrees and job experience and a lot of money you have a better chance of being accepted. If you dont have these (especially the later) you probably dont have as good a chance of getting through or even doing great if you move over.

Some advice, do not come over without a college degree. Education here is very very high. Get all that done in Ireland. Getting anywhere and any decent job without a degree will be very hard.
    Make sure the courses you do can be accredited in the US.

Well you apply in October when the application process opens.
    If you arent in it you cant be picked.
    If at the point you are picked and get called for an interview and you have degrees and job experience and a lot of money you have a better chance of being accepted. If you dont have these (especially the later) you probably dont have as good a chance of getting through or even doing great if you move over.

Some advice, do not come over without a college degree. Education here is very very high. Get all that done in Ireland. Getting anywhere and any decent job without a degree will be very hard.
    Make sure the courses you do can be accredited in the US.

My main goal is to enlist in the U.S.A.F. as soon as possible.
    Realistically,I probably would have a 4 year degree by the time I got it,maybe not though.
    I'm guessing that enlisting wouldn't make a difference in the interview though.
    Would that make any

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that enlisting wouldn't make a difference in the interview though.
    Would that make any

It won't make a difference for the interview, but once you get to interview stage, as long as you have the educational qualifications (you do), the financial means and no major criminal record, you have the visa in the bag anyway.

Enlisting does mean you'll get citizenship sooner.

Advertisement