Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

silja wrote: »
    It won't make a difference for the interview, but once you get to interview stage, as long as you have the educational qualifications (you do), the financial means and no major criminal record, you have the visa in the bag anyway.

Enlisting does mean you'll get citizenship sooner.

wouldn't they have to go anywhere there is a war going on. My cousin has just retired from the air force. She was one of there lawyers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

cena wrote: »
    wouldn't they have to go anywhere there is a war going on. My cousin has just retired from the air force. She was one of there lawyers

Well yes, that's what the military does.

Well yes, that's what the military does.

I know that. Just making sure that they above person is ok with this.

Would the national guard not be safer. I've always wanted to join

They get deployed overseas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

It won't make a difference for the interview, but once you get to interview stage, as long as you have the educational qualifications (you do), the financial means and no major criminal record, you have the visa in the bag anyway.

Enlisting does mean you'll get citizenship sooner.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/immigrationnaturalizatio/a/milcitizens.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

You still need a green card to join the air force.Sure you are going to need to do min 4 years when you sign on.So one year less than if your on a regular green card and don't join.

Palmy wrote: »
    You still need a green card to join the air force.Sure you are going to need to do min 4 years when you sign on.So one year less than if your on a regular green card and don't join.

The whole reason I'm trying to get a green card is for joining the U.S. Air Force.
    (taken from link)

All immigrants who have served honorably on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces or as a member of the Selected Ready Reserve on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible to file for immediate citizenship under the special wartime provisions in Section 329 of the INA. This section also covers veterans of designated past wars and conflicts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

The whole reason I'm trying to get a green card is for joining the U.S. Air Force.
    (taken from link)

fair play, but San Antonio sucks big time, have a buddy that was a TI out at Lakeland AFB. your willingness to enlist is irrelevant to you getting a visa, but as was said you will be eligible for citizenship sooner, but be prepared to be deployed anywhere.

base housing for enlisted AF is allegedly better than ARMY, there's a story that an army captain was told he was being placed in AF enlisted housing and started bitching. he changed his tone when he saw what he was receiving. he is noted to have said that the enlisted housing was on par with officers housing in the army. to which an AF officer replied, "well these enlisted men maintain the aircraft we fly, the last thing i want is the guy fixing my plane being tired or off his game coz his bunk is hard"

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

anyone do an interview lately. We have ours in June and I hope it comes through. We cant even sleep worrying about it. I dont have the education but my husband does but I do have a "qualifying occupation" so hopefully the evidence I will show will be enough.

Anyone with any tips, advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Don't sweat about it,If you have the interveiw you pretty much have it already.Unless you have said something to them that you can't prove you will be ok.Trust me its not really an interview at all.You go in pay the visa fee,sit down and wait to be called again and hand over all your papers and documents,sit down again and wait to be called.Go up and do your finger print scan etc and thats it.I was there for about 2hrs with my family,I even had to ask them at the end if i had got it,The guy was like ,ohh yeah no problem you will receive your passports back in Two weeks.Its more like going into a bank as you get called up to windows etc.Get the Visa and you have 6mths to activate it...:D

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill.. I hope we get it as easy as you did!! Fingers crossed. We want to move asap!!

Its still aprehensive until you get it. Anyone ever hear of someone being declined this one here??

I've heard of people declined, but only in cases where they should have known before- didn't have Leaving Cert, drug convictions in background, and no financial means.

Im not sure we have the means but have savings and assets. Some which are liquid I suppose so will see what they say. Hubby has a written job offer though so that should cover us. Well paid and in his sector.

Fingers crossed!

when are the results out

AFAIK May 1st @ 12.01 am NY time

• Registered Users Posts: 9 oldbeard

DV 2013 Entrants: Please keep your confirmation number until at least September 2013, even if you are not selected on May 1, 2012. The Department of State may select more DV 2013 entries on October 1, 2012.
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

oldbeard wrote: »
    DV 2013 Entrants: Please keep your confirmation number until at least September 2013, even if you are not selected on May 1, 2012. The Department of State may select more DV 2013 entries on October 1, 2012.
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html
    Interesting, ta.

Just out of curiousity, what is the length of time between applying in Oct./Nov. to being approved for the green card?
    Thanks.

if you've been successful its released today via the website.

the website is getting hammered, i've spent an hour trying to get in and it keeps hanging LOL

Just out of curiousity, what is the length of time between applying in Oct./Nov. to being approved for the green card?
    Thanks.

Results will be out today, Then you need to send in forms and wait for medical/ an interview, which can be a few months or almost a year away (hence the results for today are the "2013 DV Lottery" because that is the year you will likely move); once you have the visa, you have 6 months to use it and immigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I have no degree no savings and have been unemployed over a year so even if I have been selected do I stand a chance of even getting the green card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Based on the information provided, the Entry HAS NOT BEEN SELECTED for further processing for the Electronic Diversity Visa program at this time. More entries will be selected in early October 2012, so please keep your confirmation information until at least that time.
    Please verify that you have entered all information correctly. You may re-check the Entry status by clicking on the ESC Home Page link below

• Registered Users Posts: 29 thelookout

sorry to hear man. still waiting to check mine but the site is acting up.
    Hope this is my year. 4th time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Must be my 20th time. Ah well just wait for October now!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

I still can't get the site to work! Anyone else the same?

ye its down for me too. Ive been trying all day

Not selected. Hopefully October

How many were allocated for Ireland this year?

on the no list myself too

• Advertisement

How many were allocated for Ireland this year?

no idea but there;s about 50000 allocated world wide and i read some place that Ireland only got 216 last year so thats something like 0.4% of those given

Advertisement