Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I'd say it's probably decreased as a result of renewed interest in the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Didn't get selected either :( - wait for october but wouldn't be holding my hopes up - hence its a "lottery"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I agree. I figured there wasnt much chance anyway, my application was more of a "sure why not" than an "i really need it" still there's always Oz or Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Seems like by reading posts on http://forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?38-Lottery-Visas-DV that almost noone was selected. Very little reports of winners.

In previous years, there was many members reporting selections, and also linking to the forums reporting elections. They are all speculating on the additional selection in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

DIDN'T get picked either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 TrudeauCuomo

Hi guys!

This may have been covered already, but was looking for clarification;
    1 - How much money does one need before immigrating to the U.S?
    2 - Can an affidavit of support from a U.S citizen get one through, despite ridiculous lack of personal resources?
    3 - Can the job offer be in any field ie can an English/Music/Science etc graduate immigrate with an offer of work in a deli/supermarket etc?

I am still completing my degree atm, but am thinking of applying for the 2014 visa. Any help whatsoever will be gratefully appreciated!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

It has been covered.
    1. depends on circumstances. But for a single person you need the 125% figure which is $13,692
    2. It can help but they will have to show they have enough financial resources to support you and fill out very envasive detailed forms. eg. if they have four people in their household and adding you means 5 do they will need $33,762
    3. Job offer can be in any field but they will weigh it up against you education and think properly about it. They wont just accept you because you have a dodgy job offer. If you have an engineering degree and the offer is for McDonalds its not likely that will get you through alone. I would expect a significant amount of money and other things need to be shown.

Just apply for it, forget about it, and if ever (and it is a very long shot) you get picked deal with it then.

thenobody wrote: »
    It has been covered.
    1. depends on circumstances. But for a single person you need the 125% figure which is $13,692
    2. It can help but they will have to show they have enough financial resources to support you and fill out very envasive detailed forms. eg. if they have four people in their household and adding you means 5 do they will need $33,762
    3. Job offer can be in any field but they will weigh it up against you education and think properly about it. They wont just accept you because you have a dodgy job offer. If you have an engineering degree and the offer is for McDonalds its not likely that will get you through alone. I would expect a significant amount of money and other things need to be shown.

Just apply for it, forget about it, and if ever (and it is a very long shot) you get picked deal with it then.

If its an English degree (possibly with a Masters), will that make a McDonalds job offer more viable? I'm only half joking.

Ah, so, if it is a single person offering financial support, I'm guessing the figure is significantly less than 33+k, right?

Is there a site with this information available? :confused:

If its an English degree (possibly with a Masters), will that make a McDonalds job offer more viable? I'm only half joking.

Ah, so, if it is a single person offering financial support, I'm guessing the figure is significantly less than 33+k, right?

Is there a site with this information available? :confused:

You exceed the education requirements with a degree, maybe even a masters.
    For a single person it is €10875.20.

You exceed the education requirements with a degree, maybe even a masters.
    For a single person it is €10875.20.

Wow. Thank you, l had been looking for a concrete figure for a while now!
    But if I had a guaranteed job offer (not necessarily degree related ie working in a store/deli, whatever) rather than that figure in my account, would they look favourably on that? As the visa isn't employment based, and the employer would not be paying to employ me so the job wouldn't matter, per se?

• Advertisement

The job offer wouldn't hurt,but I would strongly recommend having at the very least €5000+ in savings.Try to get as much as possible.Don't be afraid to ask siblings and parents if you have to.You might not get the chance again.
    One last thing,please do what MossNYC did (see first post).It would be immensely beneficial for others.

Good luck with your interview.

The job offer wouldn't hurt,but I would strongly recommend having at the very least €5000+ in savings.Try to get as much as possible.Don't be afraid to ask siblings and parents if you have to.You might not get the chance again.
    One last thing,please do what MossNYC did (see first post).It would be immensely beneficial for others.

Good luck with your interview.

Thanks so much for the information. l haven't applied yet ( it would be for 2014) and am slightly worried about finances etc. So l was wondering about how much l'd need ( l know l'd have a job, it just wouldn't be one that l am trained for)

Thanks so much for the information. l haven't applied yet ( it would be for 2014) and am slightly worried about finances etc. So l was wondering about how much l'd need ( l know l'd have a job, it just wouldn't be one that l am trained for)
    Also you have six months to activate if you are successful.Which means you can earn considerably more before leaving.
    Also if you don't use it enough they will take it away.

Also you have six months to activate if you are successful.Which means you can earn considerably more before leaving.
    Also if you don't use it enough they will take it away.
    If I don't use what exactly?

If I don't use what exactly?

The Green Card.Sorry for being unclear.

The Green Card.Sorry for being unclear.
    Oh, no need to apologise, l would be leaving as soon as I could meet financial criteria! I'm seriously considering an application this year, as it is free ( save the visa photo application fee)

Oh, no need to apologise, l would be leaving as soon as I could meet financial criteria! I'm seriously considering an application this year, as it is free ( save the visa photo application fee)

Entry is closed until October/November next year I think.

Entry is closed until October/November next year I think.
    It was my understanding that it opens this October/November for 2014.

It was my understanding that it opens this October/November for 2014.

Sounds right.

If you get to the interview stage,do they make the decision to approve you before or after the interview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

They usually have an idea on whether to approve you before, based on your documents, but the interviewer will make the final decision at/ after the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Apologies if this has already been asked, but how does the lottery work regarding a married couple? Does just one person apply or do both apply and if one of us did get a green card is the other one also able to work? (I realise the chances are very very slim etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sally26

Does anyone know if they are still planning on selecting more winners on October 1st 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Apologies if this has already been asked, but how does the lottery work regarding a married couple? Does just one person apply or do both apply and if one of us did get a green card is the other one also able to work? (I realise the chances are very very slim etc...)
    Yep, your spouse is automatically eligible should you win it. So if you both apply to the lottery you're effectively doubling your chances :)

Yep, your spouse is automatically eligible should you win it. So if you both apply to the lottery you're effectively doubling your chances :)

Thanks a million for that. Are you allowed to both apply in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 targus88

Hi, I have a few questions in regard the diversity lottery. I apologise in advance if any of my questions have already been asked.

First of all I know I will have to apply in October 2012 was just wondering what the situation is with non married couples applying. My girlfriend and myself are going to apply so is it just tough luck if one of us is successful and the other is not?

My other question is in regard to work. I am a qualified secondary school teacher and would love to teach in the states but I have been able to find anything in regards to whether my qualification will be recognisied or indeed whats it like trying to get teaching work in America. At the moment I would love to go to New York buyt that could change between now and 2014 if I was indeed successful.

Thanks in advance for any responses

Yes, you can both apply- like was mentioned, doubling your chances.

It is unclear whether they will draw more names in October, or whether that will just happen if the uptake was bad. Still, hold on to your number just in case!

If an unmarried couple applies and one of you wins, the only way you can both go over is if you get legally married before the winning person's interview.

Not sure on teacher's qualifications. I would think you'd need at least some sort of conversion course, as the curriculum and rules are so different over here. Maybe start a separate topic on the question to get it more exposure.

A question about married couples applying. Im not married very long and havent 'officially' changed my name anywhere. I do intend to take my husbands name, but just havent yet had to renew my passport.

Would people advise I make the official change before applying or at least get the wheels in motion? Or apply in my single name?

Would people advise I make the official change before applying or at least get the wheels in motion? Or apply in my single name?

It doesn't matter really. It is generally not recommended to make a name change during the process, just because it can cause confusion, so if you are absolutely sure you want to change your name, I'd do it now, or wait till you (hopefully) win and have your interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hi Everyone,

How does a person go about applying? What website do you enter the lottery on? Cheers.

Advertisement