Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hi Everyone,

How does a person go about applying? What website do you enter the lottery on? Cheers.

Here, I have the link saved! Its not open for application yet - as you will see when you go to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Thanks very much username123.

Thanks very much username123.

Youre welcome, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

how does the DV work for long term partner/fiance?

or if we're intending on being married do we need to be married prior to application?

how does the DV work for long term partner/fiance?

Long term partner = boyfriend or girlfriend - means nothing as far as the application is concerned, youd need to be married before applying for you both to qualify off one application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Dead Man Walking

I know it was posted somewhere before in this thread, but does anybody know which shop on grafton street does the photos for the visa application where they give it to you on a cd? also is it any cheaper if you bring in your own usb key?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

well how are you after your green card story any news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Sally26 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they are still planning on selecting more winners on October 1st 2012?
    Site now says:
    DV-2013 entrants should keep their confirmation number as it is possible that more entries may be selected on October 22, 2012 at noon (EDT).

So it looks like the date has been pushed back, if they are going to draw more.

I know it was posted somewhere before in this thread, but does anybody know which shop on grafton street does the photos for the visa application where they give it to you on a cd? also is it any cheaper if you bring in your own usb key?

Just in town today getting this done. They do it in the camera shop near the top of grafton st (stephens green end) It costs 20 euro and you get it on a cd.

Just in town today getting this done. They do it in the camera shop near the top of grafton st (stephens green end) It costs 20 euro and you get it on a cd.

DMW - is there something special they do? Myself and hubby were going to use our own digital camera and follow instructions to take the pics - cant see any particular reason why we couldnt do it ourselves so long as we follow resolution/positioning/background etc instructions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

DMW - is there something special they do? Myself and hubby were going to use our own digital camera and follow instructions to take the pics - cant see any particular reason why we couldnt do it ourselves so long as we follow resolution/positioning/background etc instructions?

You can try, but they tend to be very picky, especially at interview stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

When is the closing date for this and how do I get the pictures to fit,last year I missed it because of the picture size I couldn't download anything to help it along.

silja wrote: »
    You can try, but they tend to be very picky, especially at interview stage.

Can you expand on that a bit? Picky as regards what aspect of it? (im just talking about the picture here).

Is there something specific they do in this shop in Grafton Street that I should know about?

Can you expand on that a bit? Picky as regards what aspect of it? (im just talking about the picture here).

Is there something specific they do in this shop in Grafton Street that I should know about?

When I was in the shop today I told them it was for a visa application and the guy asked me which country it was for, so I reckon it has to be a specific size/proportion for the U.S.

When I was in the shop today I told them it was for a visa application and the guy asked me which country it was for, so I reckon it has to be a specific size/proportion for the U.S.

Yeah I have the pdf with the compositional and technical requirements. I also have a digital camera, and software that will allow me to meet the correct technical specs (size/proportion).

Im just trying to ascertain if anything special is going on, because from what I can see on the compositional and technical specifications, there is nothing that I cannot do myself.

Yeah I have the pdf with the compositional and technical requirements. I also have a digital camera, and software that will allow me to meet the correct technical specs (size/proportion).

Im just trying to ascertain if anything special is going on, because from what I can see on the compositional and technical specifications, there is nothing that I cannot do myself.

Well looking at the photo now I got done there doesn't seem to be much difference from any passport ones I got in the past. My eye line is a little over the middle of the picture. I'd say I could have done it myself if I had the means. White background, Jpeg, dimensions are 600x600, file size is 205 kb

Well looking at the photo now I got done there doesn't seem to be much difference from any passport ones I got in the past. My eye line is a little over the middle of the picture. I'd say I could have done it myself if I had the means. White background, Jpeg, dimensions are 600x600, file size is 205 kb

Ok great, thanks for the info. I can do all that and more lol!

In terms of colour of background, looking exactly forward, ears visible, no smiling, eyes open but not staring.
    A friend of mine's photos got rejected because she tends to open her eyes extra wide for photos. Another friend had her hair over her ears. Our photos were ok (done in Grafton Street), but they made us re-do our kids ones (8 months old twins), because one's eyes were open but only a little bit, and the other had his mouth open a bit. There is a pharmacy just across the bridge from the embassy that does them too, they are great with kids.

Sappa wrote: »
    When is the closing date for this .

Online registration for the DV-2014 Program will begin on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), and conclude on Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 12:00 noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4).

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html

For education, I passed my leaving cert, I also did a one year cert course for sound engineering. do I pick high school degree or vocational school as the option?

it says below it that vocational school does not qualify, so high school degree to be safe??

• Advertisement

Done and dusted. Left it at high school degree to be safe.

Best of luck to all who enter this.

EDIT: To those not sure if their photo is eligible or not, there is a part before you begin the application where you can upload your photo to see if is to the right specs first.

Done and dusted. Left it at high school degree to be safe.

Best of luck to all who enter this.

Well done DMW - best of luck to you, am going to sort out my pics this evening and will take it from there.

Just out of interest - how long to complete the application?

Well done DMW - best of luck to you, am going to sort out my pics this evening and will take it from there.

Just out of interest - how long to complete the application?

Besides the fretting over the educational options I could have done it in 10 minutes. Very little info is needed. Name, date of birth, address, email, marital status, photo browse upload, education. That's about it. I both saved to note pad and print screened the last page where they give you your confirmation number for checking next may.

Best of luck username123

Edit: just in case you didn't see my edit above username123 there is a part where you can check if your photo is ok before you begin the process

Edit: just in case you didn't see my edit above username123 there is a part where you can check if your photo is ok before you begin the process

Thanks a mill for the tip! Ill let you know how I get on - wont be this evening, life has interrupted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Not sure i want to do it this year. My mother may well want to do it. She really wants to move over to aunties and the rest of the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Goose81

Best of luck username123

All that will check is the dimensions.

There is iphone apps you can get for passport photos that are US spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Hi All,

I just filled in the application form for the DV Lottery, but when I got to the end it and submitted it gave an error "Unable to Display Page, Applicant Entry System is currently experiencing technical difficulties. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back later."

No I don't know if the application was sucessful or not and if it was and I re-enter then my application will be invalid :-(

Does anyone know if there is anyone I can contact in relation to this?

Thanks
    LL

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tamoreit

@Little Lady, Did you get a confirmation number at the end? If you get a confirmation number at the end if your application was accepted, if not you can start the the application again without worrying about being disqualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'll be filling mine in in a couple hours :) Squee. Now name as it appears on passport? I don't have a passport at the moment, so any suggestions what I should do? My full name including middle name is on my birth cert, but I hate that people read it and then call out like 'Jane-Doe' as if it is double-barrelled, it isn't my name is just 'Jane' But I am presuming my passport will have the full three names on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Your passport can have first name + surname or first name + middle name(s) + surname (and variations of the orders of your christian names which can get complicated!). Generally it's advisable to have the same name on your passport as on your birth certificate, particularly when dealing with the US authorities.

Advertisement