Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

pow wow wrote: »
    Your passport can have first name + surname or first name + middle name(s) + surname (and variations of the orders of your christian names which can get complicated!). Generally it's advisable to have the same name on your passport as on your birth certificate, particularly when dealing with the US authorities.

Grand so for the application, where it asks name (as appears on passport) I'll put, first name, middle name, surname and then when I apply for my passport (which will be as soon as I find/replace my birth cert! :o) I'll make sure the passport reads the same way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

If you take photos yourself, use this to crop to the standard they want:

http://travel.state.gov/_res/flash/cropper/FIG_cropper.html#

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

So if I got the leaving cert and went straight into work should I put down high school degree or high school no degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

High school degree? Do you mean high school diploma? Leaving cert would be the equivalent of high school diploma.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Going by the options on the form there is no option for high school diploma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ronchi

Hi. Im confused with this photo part. I got a new passport photo taken for this but It says you need a 2 inch by 2inch but the standrard irish passport photo is not 2 inch by 2inch..one side is longer...and the head seems bigger and closer than these green card example photos..how do i get 2 inch by 2inch or can i just resize the standard irish passport photo they took =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Ronchi wrote: »
    Hi. Im confused with this photo part. I got a new passport photo taken for this but It says you need a 2 inch by 2inch but the standrard irish passport photo is not 2 inch by 2inch..one side is longer...and the head seems bigger and closer than these green card example photos..how do i get 2 inch by 2inch or can i just resize the standard irish passport photo they took =/

You need to meet the compositional and technical requirements which are detailed in the instructions here, and further more detailed instructions with examples here and a photo dimensions checker here and a cropper here.

In short - an Irish passport photograph will probably not meet the standards required.

Yea read that before wasnt sure about it though..thought could resize it or something =/ Ok so how/where do i get a photo taken that is 2x2 in ireland?..irelands standard isnt that requirement. i thought this irish passport photo would work its professsionally done..dam...appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JJLongford

Once you get Greencard, how do you become permanent resident? What's the process? Anybody know? Thanks.

JJLongford wrote: »
    Once you get Greencard, how do you become permanent resident? What's the process? Anybody know? Thanks.

To become a citizen you just have to live in america for like 5 years or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Photos: there is a couple of places in Dublin that do it; one on the top of Grafton Street, and also the chemoist just over the bridge from the US embassy.

Grencard: If your interview is successful, you get a visa, NOT the greencard. The greencard follows when you actually immigrate to the USA (you must do that within 6 months of getting the visa); being a legal permanent resident is the same as a greencard holder. As mentioned above, 5 years after that, if you choose, you can naturalise to become a US citizen. There is an interview again and some general history/ politics questions but it is quite easy.

Yea read that before wasnt sure about it though..thought could resize it or something =/ Ok so how/where do i get a photo taken that is 2x2 in ireland?..irelands standard isnt that requirement. i thought this irish passport photo would work its professsionally done..dam...appreciate any help.

Take the passport photo you got taken, scan it into the computer (as you would have if it was the right size). Save it. Go to Paint, open the pic in paint then you can re-size it to the required 600x600, save it (making sure to save as JPEG) and bobs your uncle you have a pic that meets the requirements

hdowney wrote: »
    Take the passport photo you got taken, scan it into the computer (as you would have if it was the right size). Save it. Go to Paint, open the pic in paint then you can re-size it to the required 600x600, save it (making sure to save as JPEG) and bobs your uncle you have a pic that meets the requirements

Thats just for the pixel size requirements i think. From what i can see the irish passport photo have a larger head and closer view to the body than the green card photo which is more distant and has more space on the sides of the head as it is wider than the irish passport photos. I wonder if could just go back to the place i got the irish passportphoto and ask them to just take a larger photo with more showing

Thats just for the pixel size requirements i think. From what i can see the irish passport photo have a larger head and closer view to the body than the green card photo which is more distant and has more space on the sides of the head as it is wider than the irish passport photos. I wonder if could just go back to the place i got the irish passportphoto and ask them to just take a larger photo with more showing

Well I used a passport photo and they told me the only thing that was wrong was pixel size, and once I re-sized they said twas perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tamoreit

For those of you still worried about your photograph for the lottery, try the following site: http://travel.state.gov/_res/flash/cropper/FIG_cropper.html#

It'll help crop your photo down to the right size. I used it for my photograph last night and it worked fine.

If you use the last link I gave in post #551 above you can crop the picture to the required standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Is there any way for a couple with a child to apply together, we have been together over 10 years, just never got married

jim_bob wrote: »
    Is there any way for a couple with a child to apply together, we have been together over 10 years, just never got married

No. As far as I can tell unless you are married you cannot apply together.

No. As far as I can tell unless you are married you cannot apply together.

That is correct. However, you could apply separately and then if one of you wins, get legally married before the interview and the newly wed spouse will then also be elligible.

silja wrote: »
    That is correct. However, you could apply separately and then if one of you wins, get legally married before the interview and the newly wed spouse will then also be elligible.

How long do people get between notification of winning and interview? The HSE requires a minimum of 3 months notification of intention to marry - and even getting the appointment to give that date can mean a wait of up to 3 months - so it could take up to 6 months to get married in Ireland.

Although it would be possible to get married abroad somewhere with less stringent rules.

Would the US not view it in a dim light if people were marrying to gain eligibility like that? Whats to stop people from marrying anyone after they win just to give them a legal status in the US? (just thinking aloud)

• Advertisement

You get notified of your win in May 2013. Interview's don't start till the end of the year, most will be in 2014 (hence this is the 2014 DV Lottery).

Yes, there are sometimes people who try to comitt fraud like this. Because of such people, they do look into marriages for bonafides- joint financials, especially deeds to home or bank accounts, photos of the wedding etc. And of course you have a child together born way before you entered the lottery.

Ive tried cropping resizing the passport photo but like ive said the head is to large on the irish passport photo standard and it is coming out to big for the oval or pixelated=/

Ive tried cropping resizing the passport photo but like ive said the head is to large on the irish passport photo standard and it is coming out to big for the oval or pixelated=/

Best bet is to get a new photo taken, bring the technical and compositional specifications with you so that the photographer knows what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭superfrank

Anyone know if there is a good pharmacy in Dublin that can do a good job with these photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

superfrank wrote: »
    Anyone know if there is a good pharmacy in Dublin that can do a good job with these photos?

Posted this here almost 2 years ago:

Went here last year: http://www.cameracentre.ie/stores/grafton-street

They take your photo upstairs and when you tell them you are applying for the Green Card they will size it for you onto a disc. €20 if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

Hey,
    really looking for some help here, i have sent TWO APPLICATIONS for the the diversity lottery this year. This occurred because i signed up with an organisation (usagc) but bad information led me to think i had been scammed! Therefore i went to the government website and sent my own application. as it turns out USAGC have put in an application for me so now i have two applications, and two applications = disqualification which = disaster!!
    Does anyone know is it possible to withdraw one of these applications, and how i would go about it?

I would greatly appreciate some help guys,
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

You will be immediatly disqualified i think. i don't see any contact details online for the US DoS

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

http://travel.state.gov/_res/flash/c..._cropper.html#

That link is broken as there is no "Choose Photo" button - anybody else have the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Tamoreit

yew_tree wrote: »
    http://travel.state.gov/_res/flash/c..._cropper.html#

That link is broken as there is no "Choose Photo" button - anybody else have the same problem?

I get a "Page Not Found" error when I click on the link you supplied. This one works for me:

http://travel.state.gov/_res/flash/cropper/FIG_cropper.html#

• Advertisement

Ok this is bs. I got a professional done photo 2 inch by 2 inch taken and sent it off to get checked and they tell me i have tore take the photo because theres some shadows behind my ears!! how the hell do u stop shadows from behind behind the ears

Advertisement