Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I would say it is down to tomorrow being the deadline. Like when it opened there was a high volume of traffic and the site crashed, now all the latecomers have copped that they need to do it now or miss out so they are flooding the site. (my tuppence!)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Your're probably right! Trying for the last few days thou, its frustrating. I applied last year and for some reason thought it was december that the process was opened. Probably gonna be too late for this year im afraid! Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

anyone know a site to resize the photos

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

Anyone successfully get their application in today?
    The site keeps freezing on me
    Edit: application went through there!lastminute.com:)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

cena wrote: »
    You can do it in windows art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ronchi

cena wrote: »

Someone posted a site that auto cropped the photo to 600x600 back in page 38-39 i think. Best to get a pro to resize it to a memory stick for you though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

No, it's November 3rd. Deadline is 12pm EDT, so 4pm here.

**** only getting around to it now and its too late!

Still trying to see if there were any drawn for last month............

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ronchi

I was wondering if you get picked in may but ur currently on holiday in america. Are u able to get your medical, garda vetting checks done there thru embassy or will you have to return to ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last few days reading through all the pages about this topic. I wanted to enter this lottery this year but was too busy at work to get the photo done on time. I have a question regarding the photo- Is there an authentic website to check all conditions the photo must meet? so you don't have to worry about shadows etc . Some people have said that the government site only checks dimensions of the photo. I would like to enter it next year but have the correct photo done for it. Thanks for any answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

They're available here on page 3 from the official DV Lottery section for US Embassy in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Nonagesimal

Thanks lil lisa. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minaeire

Hi folks
    I have a interview in Feb 2013.

I am currently in long term permanent employment, but don’t have the savings required.
    I can show that I have had an income for a long period of time and have been paying a mortgage for the last 9 years.
    Will there be an issue with this

If successful, I don’t plan on using the green card straight away, but do plan on travelling to the US to activate it if successful after the interview. I will need to come back to Ireland and sort out personal requirements
    Will it be a problem for when I return to Ireland and go back again when required within the 12 month window?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Not sure about the financial requirements, but my understanding of actually being present in the US.....you'll need to enter the US with the visa within 6 months of receiving it, but if you leave again, you can't be out of the US for more than 6 months.

I am open to correction.

I thought a green card was valid for 12 months if you left the US. I you plan on leaving for > 12 months you have to fill out some form.
    I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

minaeire wrote: »
    I thought a green card was valid for 12 months if you left the US. I you plan on leaving for > 12 months you have to fill out some form.
    I could be wrong

After further research....you're correct.

Here's a helpfull page on an immigration attorney's page with info on maintaining your Green Card Residency when leaving the US

http://www.antaoandchuang.com/i-keeping.html

THanks a lot..this great

• Registered Users Posts: 17 colycivic

Hi folks,
    Some great information in this thread i must say.

I was lucky to have got picked in the lottery and my interview is next week in the Embassy, i have a quick question.

Would anyone have any idea on what methods the interview fee can be paid and also how much it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

colycivic wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I was lucky to have got picked in the lottery and my interview is next week in the Embassy, i have a quick question.

Would anyone have any idea on what methods the interview fee can be paid and also how much it is?

Lucky you. Was it your first time to enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Hi folks,

When did you find out you got picked, congratulations!!!

Yes it was my first time applying so feel lucky to have got picked... I found out in May i got it and then after sending off the forms to Kentucky, then i got notification of the interview date in early November...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Quick question..

If you applied for this lottery and not married but in a relationship does that mean only you qualify for the greencard? By spouse is that tied to only husband / wife? Basically do you have to be married for your partner to travel with you? If so for how long etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

MarkJD wrote: »
    Quick question..

If you applied for this lottery and not married but in a relationship does that mean only you qualify for the greencard? By spouse is that tied to only husband / wife? Basically do you have to be married for your partner to travel with you? If so for how long etc?

You have to be legally married. You can get married after winning and before attending interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

silja wrote: »
    You have to be legally married. You can get married after winning and before attending interview.

Thanks for the reply. So i can apply without any Spouse information (due to not being married) and then between being accepted and the interview get married and that is considered ok? They dont refuse straight away?

If so does that entitle your spouse to work as well within the US? or just live there under yours?

Yes it was my first time applying so feel lucky to have got picked... I found out in May i got it and then after sending off the forms to Kentucky, then i got notification of the interview date in early November...

Thats great!!

I found this post on boards that hopefully answers your questions regarding interview fee etc...

Best of luck with it!

thanks username 123, although i heard the fees changed, it is saying on the state website it is now 330 usd but i have also heard its 375 usd so im still unsure of the exact amount...

thanks username 123, although i heard the fees changed, it is saying on the state website it is now 330 usd but i have also heard its 375 usd so im still unsure of the exact amount...

Maybe give the embassy a ring and ask them?

Maybe give the embassy a ring and ask them?

i gave that a shot and couldnt get through it was just an automated service. i guess i'll just go and get dollars and hope i have enough on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

MarkJD wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. So i can apply without any Spouse information (due to not being married) and then between being accepted and the interview get married and that is considered ok? They dont refuse straight away?

If so does that entitle your spouse to work as well within the US? or just live there under yours?

It will look a little odd, but as long as you have proof of a bonafide relationship (ie that you didn't get together just because of the lottery win), such as living together, photos of the two of you together over several years etc, you will be fine.

Green card lottery visa gives a greencard upon immigration to the winner, spouse and any minor children.

On the link below it confirms the fees are $330.
    There are also USCIS for visas received after Feb 1, 2013. They have to be paid on line in order for you to receive your green card

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm

If you receive your immigrant visa on or after February 1, 2013, you must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you receive your immigrant visa and before you travel to the United States. Select USCIS Immigrant Fee on the USCIS website for more information.

• Advertisement

minaeire wrote: »
    On the link below it confirms the fees are $330.
    There are also USCIS for visas received after Feb 1, 2013. They have to be paid on line in order for you to receive your green card

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1263.html#perm

If you receive your immigrant visa on or after February 1, 2013, you must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you receive your immigrant visa and before you travel to the United States. Select USCIS Immigrant Fee on the USCIS website for more information.

Perfect, thanks for your reply.

Advertisement