Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

silja wrote: »
    It will look a little odd, but as long as you have proof of a bonafide relationship (ie that you didn't get together just because of the lottery win), such as living together, photos of the two of you together over several years etc, you will be fine.

Green card lottery visa gives a greencard upon immigration to the winner, spouse and any minor children.

Thanks for the info. Will definitely be applying this year. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minaeire

I have the medical done and interview in Feb
    I am looking to travel into the US in July and given the interview is all good, does anyone know can I buy a return ticket to travel?
    I need to come back and sort some finances before I permanently reside in the US

colycivic wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Some great information in this thread i must say.

I was lucky to have got picked in the lottery and my interview is next week in the Embassy, i have a quick question.

Would anyone have any idea on what methods the interview fee can be paid and also how much it is?

Colycivic
    How did the interview go. Can you share your experiences here?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

minaeire wrote: »
    I have the medical done and interview in Feb
    I am looking to travel into the US in July and given the interview is all good, does anyone know can I buy a return ticket to travel?
    I need to come back and sort some finances before I permanently reside in the US

Yes absolutely, buy a return ticket. Even if you didn't plan to come back to settle your affairs, return tickets are often cheaper than one ways!

silja wrote: »
    Yes absolutely, buy a return ticket. Even if you didn't plan to come back to settle your affairs, return tickets are often cheaper than one ways!

Thanks Silja
    So there wont be a issue with this in emigration

• Advertisement

Thanks Silja
    So there wont be a issue with this in emigration

None at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Applied November gone. Don't expect to win but it would be nice. Fingers crossed & good luck to everybody. Also not sure I used the right type of photograph required, I used the one that I used for my J1 visa so I'd say they're the same, hopefully anyway.

Applied November gone. Don't expect to win but it would be nice. Fingers crossed & good luck to everybody. Also not sure I used the right type of photograph required, I used the one that I used for my J1 visa so I'd say they're the same, hopefully anyway.

when are the results out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

1st of May this year. They're for 2014. Applied myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Does anyone know, on average, how many people you are up against in this? Considering how few people I have heard about winning it, I'd imagine it is quite a lot.

I'm considering it, but I wouldnt win a raffle so am thinking I might be best going for a visa.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know, on average, how many people you are up against in this? Considering how few people I have heard about winning it, I'd imagine it is quite a lot.

I'm considering it, but I wouldnt win a raffle so am thinking I might be best going for a visa.

you can only apply for the diveresty visa in oct\Nov. You should apply for it as its free. Only cost you if you win

I think 80\90 people in Ireland won it for 2012

you can only apply for the diveresty visa in oct\Nov. You should apply for it as its free. Only cost you if you win

I think 80\90 people in Ireland won it for 2012

7733 applications for DV-2012 (11,666 people total with spouse and children).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Sobanek wrote: »
    7733 applications for DV-2012 (11,666 people total with spouse and children).
    Interesting!
    Where did you get that figure from? Do you have a link?
    Interesting though, I thought there would be more, but then again there isn't as much publicity around applications for green cards as there used to be. Or am I wrong

Interesting fact, there were 8.5 million applications from Bangladesh in 2010 for the 2012 lottery.

2 million applications from Nigeria.
    1.1 million applications from Ukraine - 1/45th of their population!!
    51 from Vatican City - 6.2% of their population :D
    13 from Christmas Island - I didn't even know it existed!!!

Interesting fact, there were 8.5 million applications from Bangladesh in 2010 for the 2012 lottery.

2 million applications from Nigeria.
    1.1 million applications from Ukraine - 1/45th of their population!!
    51 from Vatican City - 6.2% of their population :D
    13 from Christmas Island - I didn't even know it existed!!!

I thought there would be more applications from Ireland
    How many from Europe in total for 2012???

11,470 from Ireland for DV-2013.

DV-2014 still unknown.

It hovers at around 11 thousand per year anyway.

No idea how many from Europe. Would have to count them all up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Less than 100 from over 11,000 aren't good odds but are actually better than I expected. Thought it would be way more than that applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lornac22

I've just got my interview date for my GC., Its for the end of April.. so I have arranged for my medical appointment & my Police Certificate to be done,

Can anyone give some advice for the actual interview

Should I bring bank statements?

Also I read that somewhere if you don't have a job offer going you should get Form I-134 to show sponsorship? Is this necessary or just better to have..

Thanks
    ������

Lornac22 wrote: »
    I've just got my interview date for my GC., Its for the end of April.. so I have arranged for my medical appointment & my Police Certificate to be done,

Can anyone give some advice for the actual interview

Should I bring bank statements?

Also I read that somewhere if you don't have a job offer going you should get Form I-134 to show sponsorship? Is this necessary or just better to have..

Thanks
    ������

When did you apply? i thought the results were only out in May?

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Less than 100 from over 11,000 aren't good odds but are actually better than I expected. Thought it would be way more than that applying.

You got a bigger chance of winning the green card than getting 4+1 worth 80 quid in the EuroMillions.

When did you apply? i thought the results were only out in May?

I applied Nov 2011 got accepted May 2012 and now interview April 2013

I applied Nov 2011 got accepted May 2012 and now interview April 2013

Ah I see. Congrats anyway. I can't help with your query though. God, it's a long process!:eek:

Wow, won't you have to be in the States by June? I thought it was the first 6 months of 2013 (as in the deadline to get over to America)

Wow, won't you have to be in the States by June? I thought it was the first 6 months of 2013 (as in the deadline to get over to America)

No, the deadline is 6 months after you get the visa.

Quick Qs if anyone can help...if I have a job offer before my visa interview, I will need to show embassy this, Does the offer just need to be in letter form or is there a particular form they have to file??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Quick Qs if anyone can help...if I have a job offer before my visa interview, I will need to show embassy this, Does the offer just need to be in letter form or is there a particular form they have to file??

Thanks
    If its a DV lottery green card, they won't ask if you have a job its not a requirement. I had all my documents for college education etc and my husbands with me and all they took was my leaving cert as it was the minimum required.

My husband has continued working for his Irish employer we knew this when were we interviewing they didn't ask about work.
    So you don't need to bring anything like that but if you had it on hand bring it if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If you have already been offered a job, that's great. But in general, they don't expect applicants to already have jobs, as until you actually have your green card, you can not live or work legally in the US. They don't expect people to go out and get companies to offer them employment on the off chance that one day they may be able to work in the US legally. That would be a very unfair and unrealistic condition for them to set.

Bring your offer of a job with you. It certainly can't hurt to have it with you, especially if there is any iffiness in any other areas of your application, such as (for example) your level of education, or your professional qualifications. But regarding the job offer itself, there is nothing more that you need to do or bring or fill out. I'd probably include a contact name and phone number and/or email address of the company, just in case the Embassy want to verify the job offer in person (which they probably won't) but that's about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

Had a quick search through the thread and didn't find anything recent, so here goes:

Currently applying for the H-1B, paperwork should be sent in tomorrow by the lawyers. Assuming all goes well and I get approved, when would I be able to begin applying for the green card at the earliest, and would applying simultaneously through the DV lottery be alright?

• Advertisement

With the H1b, you don't apply for a greencard, your company sponsors you.
    Yes, you can apply for the DV lottery at the same time as having a H1B in the works/ being on a H1B.

Advertisement