Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Lanterrrn

Thanks, silja. Any idea how soon after H-1B approval the sponsorship process can begin, and would being sponsorship process affect the DV lottery application?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You should start your own topic about the H1B, as this thread is about the DV lottery.

I am not sure, but I think it's 3 years minimum? Others will be able to give their expert opinion once you start your own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

I haven't read the whole thread, but in the opening post the costs are mentioned - €350 Medical & €775 application fee.

Is this per person ?

Is it the same for kids ?

For a family of 5 for example is it going to be €1750 Medical & €3875 Application fee ?

If you're turned down at or following the interview stage, do you get your application fee back ?

Is Leaving Cert compulsory ? I didn't have the option of sitting the Leaving due to family illness that year & had to go to work to help out. I've never got around to redoing it.

Is there an upper age limit for applicants ?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

OU812 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread, but in the opening post the costs are mentioned - €350 Medical & €775 application fee.

Is this per person ?

Is it the same for kids ?

For a family of 5 for example is it going to be €1750 Medical & €3875 Application fee ?

If you're turned down at or following the interview stage, do you get your application fee back ?

Is Leaving Cert compulsory ? I didn't have the option of sitting the Leaving due to family illness that year & had to go to work to help out. I've never got around to redoing it.

Is there an upper age limit for applicants ?

Yes it is per person, I had my husband and two kids to pay for too!

Its non refundable - if you fail the medical you will know before the interview as you get a copy of the results for your own records

The leaving cert is a minimum requirement if you don't have that you have to show you have an education that meets the requirement. I brought every cert I ever got from courses etc but because I had the actually leaving cert they didn't take any other paper work.

Have you been selected from the Lottery??

Hi,

No haven't been selected, will be applying for it this year, just trying to figure stuff out.

So do you only have to pay for it once you know you've been selected ?

• Advertisement

Yes, you only pay if you get selected, no fee for applying. However, being selected does not guarantee a visa if you fail on educational, financial, criminal etc grounds.

You say you don't have the Leaving- do you have any professional qualifications or work experience in a skilled job?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Obviously if you fail the medical you would not proceed and pay the application fees. You pay the application fee the day of the interview at the Embassy

You can make application for your wife also. My husband entered the lottery and then I applied 3 days later. I was selected

No, I don't have the leaving, but I do have more than fifteen years in my current field which can be audited & verified. Although I'm self employed (contractor), so that may be an issue.

Unfortunately as I entered leaving cert year, one if my parents fell gravely ill & that combined with a lack of income meant as the eldest, I had to take up work to help support the family.

It may be better off my wife applying & me piggybacking if successful.

Thank you for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minaeire

OU812 wrote: »
    No, I don't have the leaving, but I do have more than fifteen years in my current field which can be audited & verified. Although I'm self employed (contractor), so that may be an issue.

Unfortunately as I entered leaving cert year, one if my parents fell gravely ill & that combined with a lack of income meant as the eldest, I had to take up work to help support the family.

It may be better off my wife applying & me piggybacking if successful.

Thank you for your advice.

Since you are married, both you and you wife can submit the application. It gives you a better chance of winning.
    You might meet the requirements on the number of years experience. The only thing is the officer could ask why are you looking to immigrate when you have your own business here.
    I submitted 2 application for 2012 and my wife won it. We completed the interview at the Dublin embassy in Feb and after giving them all of the required paper work, the office just asked where are we planning to move to. Just gave him an answer and he approved it. Visa on passport posted and delivered the following week. Flights books and going in 1st week of July

Submit both applications for you and your wife. It could be possible that your wife could win and give you better odds than a single application

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lornac22

I had my medical in the Blackrock clinic on Tuesday

Anyone worrying about the medical, there is no need to!!!

I wasn't even in there an hour!

The doctor & nurse were lovely

They went through my details and filled out a form

I gave them my picture, vaccination records

Had my weight, height & eyes checked
    Then had bloods taken which wasn't so easy, apparently I have very small veins so they eventually got one in my hand lol

Then I went in for my X-ray which was all of 5 mins if even!!!

Then at reception to pay the €350 Bill....to find its actually €395

So note the US embassy website doesn't include the VAT

My interview is in 3 weeks now...everything is ready to go :-) will check back in after and let you guys know how it goes

:-)

• Advertisement

Going for my visa medical was my first and only time at the Blackrock Clinic.... so swanky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Lornac22 wrote: »
    I had my medical in the Blackrock clinic on Tuesday

Anyone worrying about the medical, there is no need to!!!

I wasn't even in there an hour!

The doctor & nurse were lovely

They went through my details and filled out a form

I gave them my picture, vaccination records

Had my weight, height & eyes checked
    Then had bloods taken which wasn't so easy, apparently I have very small veins so they eventually got one in my hand lol

Then I went in for my X-ray which was all of 5 mins if even!!!

Then at reception to pay the €350 Bill....to find its actually €395

So note the US embassy website doesn't include the VAT

My interview is in 3 weeks now...everything is ready to go :-) will check back in after and let you guys know how it goes

:-)

Where did you get your vaccination records? It's a long long time since I got a vaccination and the doctor that would have administered it is most probably dead!

Where did you get your vaccination records? It's a long long time since I got a vaccination and the doctor that would have administered it is most probably dead!

You have to contact your local health board...it's can take about 14 days for them to pull out your history and post them out!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You have to contact your local health board...it's can take about 14 days for them to pull out your history and post them out!!!

Thanks Lornac,that's useful to know;cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

silja wrote: »
    Going for my visa medical was my first and only time at the Blackrock Clinic.... so swanky!

Me too !

I remember the doctor checking under my hair line at the back of my neck, behind my knees and under my arm pits. When I asked him what he was doing, he told me that he was looking for the tell tale needle marks of a heroin addict. WTF ! :eek:

Apparently, if you are/were a junkie, they are the go to spots when the veins in your arms collapse from over use. Your skin is so sensitive in those spots, it bears the mark of the needles forever. I know that he was just following a standard procedure that he does for everyone, but my mother (who was your typical Irish Mammy) was highly outraged at the slur on her babies good name. I wonder if they still do that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Would a hand injury affect the medical test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

when does the next lottery open and how much does it cost?

cena wrote: »
    Would a hand injury affect the medical test?

It depends. What kind of hand injury? How serious is it? You have not given enough info really to get any kind of a definitive answer. If your hand injury is relatively minor, or is expected to heal in time, there shouldn't be any problem with the medical. But if it is a long term impairment that could impact your ability to get and/or keep work in the US, or could lead to your becoming a burden on the US social welfare or medical systems, then yes, it may have an impact on your passing the medical exam.

Then again, my medical didn't involve any physical tests that involved the functionality of my limbs, other than my ability to hop up onto the exam table & raise my arms above my head so the doc could check for needle marks. So unless I walked in with a completely paralyzed hand/arm, I think I would have been fine.

zweton wrote: »
    when does the next lottery open and how much does it cost?

If this years diversity lottery follows the pattern of previous years, the next one will open up for application in early November 2013. The initial application doesn't cost anything. It's all done electronically.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It depends. What kind of hand injury? How serious is it? You have not given enough info really to get any kind of a definitive answer. If your hand injury is relatively minor, or is expected to heal in time, there shouldn't be any problem with the medical. But if it is a long term impairment that could impact your ability to get and/or keep work in the US, or could lead to your becoming a burden on the US social welfare or medical systems, then yes, it may have an impact on your passing the medical exam.

I did nerve and muscle damage and left with me little finger and ring figure curled into the palm of my hand

I did nerve and muscle damage and left with me little finger and ring figure curled into the palm of my hand

I doubt that will be a an issue- while it is a long term injury, it's not something that will cause major medical bills in the future, unless you try for elective corrective surgery, which would not be paid by the government.

It will probably effect your ability to get into a police force though, if that is still your hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 socialnidge

Anyone know when the results of the 2012 lottery? I applied for the lottery back in October and as far as I know, the results come out May 1st?

Can anyone confirm this? Will we know if we were successful on May 1st or are the results announced over a certain period of time.

I presume the successful entrants are emailed?

Thanks in advance :)

silja wrote: »
    I doubt that will be a an issue- while it is a long term injury, it's not something that will cause major medical bills in the future, unless you try for elective corrective surgery, which would not be paid by the government.

It will probably effect your ability to get into a police force though, if that is still your hope.

Ya I still would like to join the nypd or even fdny. I'm a year waiting to a different doctor to see if the hand can be fixed up. Doctor that did the surgery says I am stuck with it for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Anyone know when the results of the 2012 lottery? I applied for the lottery back in October and as far as I know, the results come out May 1st?

Can anyone confirm this? Will we know if we were successful on May 1st or are the results announced over a certain period of time.

You mean the 2014 lottery? Noon (EDT) on May 1st. Says it on the site: https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

I presume the successful entrants are emailed?
    Nope. Only way to find out is to check back with your application number.

Ya I still would like to join the nypd or even fdny. I'm a year waiting to a different doctor to see if the hand can be fixed up. Doctor that did the surgery says I am stuck with it for the rest of my life.

Best of luck with that. Don't think that your hand injury will result in your failing the medical, but it could lead to a problem joining US police forces. Unless your hand is fixed, it would probably impact your ability to handle a fire arm.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Best of luck with that. Don't think that your hand injury will result in your failing the medical, but it could lead to a problem joining US police forces. Unless your hand is fixed, it would probably impact your ability to handle a fire arm.

I was thinking that. I just want it fixed

I've my interview in 3 weeks and had some Qs on the payment etc.

Can payment be made by postal order or bank draft?
    Does it have to be in Dollars or Euros?

I heard I've to bring along a pre stamped envelope, Can anyone confirm that?
    If so what size envelope is needed?
    How much postage??

Thanks, I'm trying to get myself organised ha

I've my interview in 3 weeks and had some Qs on the payment etc.

Can payment be made by postal order or bank draft?

Yes, you can use either, or a credit card. The only thing that you can't use is a personal check.

Does it have to be in Dollars or Euros?

It can be in either. I'd suggest getting an international bank draft in dollars to avoid having to mess around with exchange rates that can fluctuate. You can get them at your local bank.

I heard I've to bring along a pre stamped envelope, Can anyone confirm that?

Yes you do. This is because your visa and supporting documents will be posted out to you once your the processing of your visa has been completed. You do not receive them on the day of the interview.

If so what size envelope is needed?
    How much postage??

The envelope should measure approx 34cms x 56cms (14” x 18”) with postage stamps to the value of €8.00 affixed to each applications envelope.

More info here:

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/faqs_immigration.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I would recommend getting a pre-paid registered envelope since it will be carrying your passport and visa. The people at the post office usually know exactly what to give you when you mention passport and the dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

When do the applications for the DV-2015 begin??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It hasn't been announced yet. If they continue like previous years, it should be early October 2013.

Advertisement