Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

I want to emigrate to the US so bad, i would give my left arm to do it, and im sure many others on this forum would do the same.

I will just have to keep trying, again in October, but this year im not going to put all my eggs in one basket, there has to be another way around it?

Im heading on a J-1 Visa for 3 months starting this June, so at least i will be able to "dip my toe" in to the American way of life, even though i have been countless times on a tourist Visa, at least this time i will be able to work.

It's time like this that i envy people with Family in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

No joy for me either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭kilkenny_d

Nothing for me either.

Is anyone who applied who recently graduated thinking of going the graduate visa or internship route? Just wondering does anyone know if it is possible to get an internship and then come back to Ireland before 1 year after you officially graduate and then take up the graduate visa? Just trying to think of an alternative route to a decent length legal stay since the lottery was a bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No luck here for either me or ex OH

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

No luck here but I am not surprised.....what are the odds right?

Will keep applying anyway.....oh well its an excuse to book some holiday time stateside later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

No joy for me either.

I'm sure people are sick of reading that but perhaps someone reading this thread before next year will get a better picture of the odds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Dunphus wrote: »
    No joy for me either.

I'm sure people are sick of reading that but perhaps someone reading this thread before next year will get a better picture of the odds

Nothing here too. And I believe it's changing next year to focus on more skilled people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Unsuccessful ! oh darn, of course I wasn't expecting to win but it would be nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yesbuddie

Does anyone know if you can go on a graduation visa but just picking an cheap level 7 course?

E.g find A level 7 business course that's 6 months and then you will be qualified to take up the graduation visa once you finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

yesbuddie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can go on a graduation visa but just picking an cheap level 7 course?

E.g find A level 7 business course that's 6 months and then you will be qualified to take up the graduation visa once you finish?

If you could do that don't you think everyone would be doing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Djiddo

I have my interview at the US embassy for the lottery Visa program in a week time, could anyone please share his/her story about the visa interview process? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Djiddo wrote: »
    I have my interview at the US embassy for the lottery Visa program in a week time, could anyone please share his/her story about the visa interview process? Thanks

Congratulations!

There's a full breakdown on the first page of this topic.

kilkenny_d wrote: »
    Nothing for me either.

Is anyone who applied who recently graduated thinking of going the graduate visa or internship route? Just wondering does anyone know if it is possible to get an internship and then come back to Ireland before 1 year after you officially graduate and then take up the graduate visa? Just trying to think of an alternative route to a decent length legal stay since the lottery was a bust.

Graduate visa? Do you think nobody applying through this (US Diversity Greencard) scheme has a degree?
    Is there a graduate visa entry route? I have a degree.
    Forgive my ignorance. Is there some kind of graduate route I'm unaware of? I assumed everyone was in the same boat whether you have a degree or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yosser, I think the poster is talking about the J1 graduate visa, where for one year after you graduate, you are allowed to go over there and work in the field that you have recently qualified in. You have to leave when the year is up, unless you get a job with a company that is willing to sponsor you for a long term work permit,
    Djiddo wrote: »

It's not a real interview, in the way that a job interview is, where you are asked loads of potentially tricky questions that could trip you up. It's just the last person in the chain reviewing all your paperwork and forms to make sure that everything is in order. I was asked to confirm a few bits and pieces...date of birth, college qualifications, full name and address etc etc. I think I was done and dusted in just a couple of minutes. Best of luck to you, although if everything is ok with your application, you won't really need it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Calico101

15 years applying for this.

15 years unsuccessful.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Calico101 wrote: »
    15 years applying for this.

15 years unsuccessful.

:(

Oh god, hard luck! :( - i suppose it really is like a lottery, you could be applying for one year, or 15.. before you get it.. i suppose i'd better look in to another avenue..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Hard luck Calico.

Way back when, I was over there with five guys who all applied for it that year, every single one of them got the card, they all flew home for the interviews etc & all passed, only three took it & out of that only one stayed.

Often thought what a waste it was for them to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Calico101

I know. It's just the luck of the draw. I'm kind of getting too old now to take advantage of it, even if I did get it. Life could have been different...

Anyone know if there is there a 2nd draw this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Site says there *may* be more entries drawn in October.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Site says there *may* be more entries drawn in October.

So is it worth checking back again on the site occasionally do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Very first time I applied back in 2008 and I won. Luck of the draw I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 peble

Yes it is luck ,but maybe from next year will change

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

So is it worth checking back again on the site occasionally do you think?

Not until then, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this is already posted but how do I go about applying for the next lottery?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 peble

colman1212 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Sorry if this is already posted but how do I go about applying for the next lottery?

You can do this in October unless something changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lornac22

Hi

Just want to see if anyone has any info in regards to SSN

I received my immigrant status in May & have just received my actual Green Card , but still no sign of my SSN,

When originally applying I ticked the box to receive it but no sign yet,

Would I be better going down to the social office and apply for it there???

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Lornac22

You will have to go in and apply for your SSN.I also ticked the box for them to issue me with my SSN but never received one (talking with other people this is normal). Apply in the States or do what I did. Go into the Embassy in Dublin show security your Green Card and they will let you in to fill out the form (No Appointment required). They sent it to my Dublin address within 7 days.
    I just about got caught out as I had to file U.S taxes even before I moved there. Yes if you have a green card and working overseas you have to file U.S taxes every year. They wont make you pay much tax unless your making I think over €75k year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You have to make an application to the Dept of Social Security in order to be issued with your social security number and card. Just having green card status is not enough to get one, as immigrant stuff and social security number stuff are administered by two separate arms of the US govt. Even though you indicated during the green card process that you want a SSN, you still have to actually apply for it before it will be issued to you.

You can do it here at the Embassy, or wait until you get over there and do it there. There won't be a problem with you getting one. Once you have green card status, it's just a formality, but a formality you have to complete none the less. If possible, do it before you go. That means that you can do things such as rent an apartment, open a bank account, sign up for accounts with utility companies etc etc as soon as you get off the plane. If you wait until you get over there, there may be a delay in you doing those things as you won't have your SSN yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I checked the box to have my social security processed with my visa application but that never happened. Once I had my greencard I went to our local SSA office, showed them the green card and proof of address and they issued me my SSN, and the card came in the mail like 3 days later.

You will be able to find the office for the area you live in at the link here

Advertisement