Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I was going to apply, but then I had a look at Monster.com and it would be impossible for me to find a job...

Working for $8 ain't too good either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

DaisyD2 wrote: »
    Missed this, thanks for reply. I called to camera shop with specs & walked out with a disk for €8 that worked first time - it was my software caused me problems..... Ok maybe Me just a little too ;)

I just submitted my application there. Next year, if you don't get it this time around, you can just use pixlr.com to edit your photo. On pixlr just hit the image tab at the top, then image size. A box with image proportions will be brought up. Untick the constrain proportions box and the set width and height to 600. Save the photo. The file size will now be well below the 240 kb file size limit. The best part is it's all free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Sobanek wrote: »
    Working for $8 ain't too good either.

You have to remember that everything is a lot cheaper, too (well, depending on where you live).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I just submitted my application there. Next year, if you don't get it this time around, you can just use pixlr.com to edit your photo. On pixlr just hit the image tab at the top, then image size. A box with image proportions will be brought up. Untick the constrain proportions box and the set width and height to 600. Save the photo. The file size will now be well below the 240 kb file size limit. The best part is it's all free :)

Thank you I just did that there the photo validator thing said its fine now :) I will apply over the weekend my first time hopefully I will get it.

silja wrote: »
    You have to remember that everything is a lot cheaper, too (well, depending on where you live).

I'd have to earn at least $13/h to have my standard of life improve and at least $10/h to be in the same position.

(that's if I went to Texas)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was nervous about taking my own photo, so got it done in the Camera Centre on Grafton St- had to change the pixels in it to make it acceptable to the site though (600X600).

Apart from that the whole process was very straightforward though...fingers crossed everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Got my photo taken at the Camera Centre on Grafton Street today, very expensive at €20.

Applied then this afternoon, took me less than 5 minutes, very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

When does this close

cena wrote: »
    When does this close

Look back 10 of 11 posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

OK, so that's two entries in. Both me & the wife. Everything crossed until May 2014 !!

Can't enter in the kids names can I ??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭The Uninvited Guest

Lads, silly question. What is the Leaving Cert equivalent in the US? High School degree?

It's actually on a bit higher level than HSD afaik.

Cheers

So what would the recommendation be when entering highest level of education achieved on the DV Application form?

I achieved LC, that's it, no 3rd level education.

HSD will be fine.

Sobanek wrote: »
    HSD will be fine.

Cheers dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Lads, silly question. What is the Leaving Cert equivalent in the US? High School degree?

Yes.

I don't think I well make this by the deadline,

I took photos but the brother says they are to big. He resized them last year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

High School Diploma. The word degree is normally reserved for what you get when you graduate from a third level college/university. People over there do refer to themselves having as "graduated" from high school though.

Trying to fill out this. I can't find england on the list as country born in.

its for my mother but she is applying as been irish as her father is irish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Is it under United Kingdom or Great Britain?

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Is it under United Kingdom or Great Britain?

think it was great Britain.

anyone know how I can save the page

The UK is not a qualifying country for the DV lottery.

Question 2 in the below link might answer your question.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/DV_2015_Instructions.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Dcuguy89

Quick question guys!

I paid €20 to have my photo taken for last year’s US Greencard lottery and I don’t fancy splashing another 20 quid this year!

Even though the website says the photo must be no more than ix months old, I presume I should be safe enough using the same photo as 12 months ago?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Calico101

DCUguy I am in the same boat as yourself. Don't want to get another mugshot done, but I wonder do they employ face recognition technology or some file checker to screen out duplicates from previous years?

If you have access to a digital camera you can just take your own photo. Use a photo editor like pixlr.com to edit the photo so it meets the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Deadline: 12:00PM EDT (GMT -4) on November 2, 2013

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Closing today: anyone entering has just over two hours to get their application in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. ET

Got my application in today. Best of luck to anyone else that has applied. And thanks to whoever posted the pixlr.com link as it really helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

omg I missed it by a few hours :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 FlyingLawMan

Best of luck to everyone that has entered the lottery.
    I was selected in last years lottery and completed my interview with the Embassy in Dublin 2 weeks ago and received my 6 month 'green card' last week.

Advertisement