Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

@Mrs ET, read the previous posts. If in doubt it''ll be a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrs. ET

Joe Doe wrote: »
    @Mrs ET, read the previous posts. If in doubt it''ll be a scam.

I've read them all and when I received the email I had a feeling it was a scam but just wanted to share it with everyone and make people aware, especially that it managed to bypass my spam filter...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 slinkypink

Mrs. ET wrote: »
    "This e-mail is addressed to any Diversity Visa 2015 (DV-2015) entrant who attempted to log into the Entrant Status Check (ESC) website on May 1, 2014. For a brief period on May 1, the ESC website experienced a technical problem. As a result, some people who logged into the site to check the status of their applications were shown the wrong information. If you logged into the ESC website on May 1 and saw a notice of selection that did not include your name, or if you saw a notice that you were not selected, you must re-check your status to find out whether or not you were selected.

You must see a notice that is addressed to you by name as proof of selection to process further in the DV-2015 program. We regret any confusion this technical problem may have caused.

Please note that the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) will not send you unsolicited e-mail that includes your confirmation number or that asks you to provide any personal information. You must log into the ESC website to check your status. If you have further questions about the ESC website or the content of this e-mail, you may contact KCC by e-mail at KCCDV @ state.gov. The KCC telephone number is 606-526-7500 (7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. EST)."
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

That is the email that I received i just copied and pasted it over. It came from the address that is stated at the end and went into my inbox and not my spam... I had to space out the email address as it wouldnt allow me to post it as an email link

I'm not sure that email is a scam, my boyfriend received the same email this morning and I checked the email address and it is the same one that I have been using for all my correspondence with the Consular Centre in Kentucky regarding my parents application. Also, if you check the Dept. of State, the same message will come up...
    It won't allow me to post the link address here, but if you go to U.S Dept. of State website and further go in to Bureau of Consular Affairs and select the Diversity Visa Process option, a message will come up on the "What to do if you are selected" page.

But here it is for convenience purposes....
    "Important Notice
    On May 1, 2014, the Entrance Status Check (ESC) website experienced a brief technical problem. As a result, some people who logged into the site to check the status of their Diversity Visa 2015 (DV-2015) entries were shown the wrong information. Applicants who logged into the ESC website on May 1 and saw a notice of selection that did not include their name, or saw a notice that they were not selected, must re-check their status. Applicants must see a notice addressed to them by name as proof of selection to process further in the DV-2015 program. We regret any confusion this technical problem may have caused."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

Got that myself this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

It's easy enough to spoof an email address, just don't click any direct links in the email. If you go to the original website use the same link or bookmark you've been using all along, even if the email is a scam if you go to correct place there'll be no change and they'll get nothing from you, it'll be no different (and no more dangerous) than when you logged in last week.

All the scam can try to do is redirect you to someplace that you think is where you are trying to go but it is really just a clone. That or get you to install something malicious by clicking a link or opening images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Mrs. ET wrote: »
    I've read them all and when I received the email I had a feeling it was a scam but just wanted to share it with everyone and make people aware, especially that it managed to bypass my spam filter...

I got the same email- it is worrying that they were able to get all our email addresses like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

augusta24 wrote: »
    I got the same email- it is worrying that they were able to get all our email addresses like that.

I got the same email this morning. If this is a scam, how did they get our email addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

biddywiddy wrote: »
    I got the same email this morning. If this is a scam, how did they get our email addresses?

My point exactly!

Lornac22 wrote: »
    Hi

Just want to see if anyone has any info in regards to SSN

I received my immigrant status in May & have just received my actual Green Card , but still no sign of my SSN,

When originally applying I ticked the box to receive it but no sign yet,

Would I be better going down to the social office and apply for it there???

Thanks

Hey LornaC22, Can you give an update on exactly what was asked in your interview if you can remember??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

More information here:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/fraud.html
    Fraud Warning

Diversity Visa Program Scammers Sending Fraudulent Emails and Letters

The Department of State, Office of Visa Services, advises the public of a notable increase in fraudulent emails and letters sent to Diversity Visa (DV) program (Visa Lottery) applicants. The scammers behind these fraudulent emails and letters are posing as the U.S. government in an attempt to extract payment from DV applicants. All applicants should be familiar with information about DV scams provided by the Federal Trade Commission. Applicants are encouraged to review the rules and procedures for the DV program so that you know what to expect, when to expect it, and from whom.

While DV applicants may receive an email from the U.S. government reminding them to check their status online through DV Entrant Status Check, they will not receive a notification letter or email informing them that they are a successful DV entrant. Applicants can only find out if they were selected to continue with DV processing by checking their status online through the DV Entrant Status Check at http://www.dvlottery.state.gov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Anyone know if there will be subsequent draws of the "lotto" for the green card this year? -- i have heard of this in the past, but not sure if its true. As in, they will make another draw of applications if they need to fill more visa's etc?

It'd be nice to know we have another chance this year, even if a slim one...

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

As far as I know, that only happened one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

No luck either and just back from holiday in the states which makes me more depressed. Was my second year applying. Is their a second round laster in year?

No 2nd round, annual event only.

In fact they slightly usually over issue guessing by about 5-10%, as not everyone offered one initially will qualify so there is a slight surplus to pick from. So if offered one, still have to qualify as suitable candidate.

E.g. Any criminal history, slightly inaccurate application details, or even if they think you may harbour any views that may be unconstitutional or beneficial to the land of opportunity, you may be rejected and another selected from the surplus group.

If you have any existing medical condition, smoke a lot or prone to injury's, guessing it wouldn't even be worth your while applying due to high healthcare costs there, a simple broken arm could you back 10 large.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hiddenirish

If you have any existing medical condition, smoke a lot or prone to injury's, guessing it wouldn't even be worth your while applying due to high healthcare costs there, a simple broken arm could you back 10 large.

I know friends who are heavy smokers, easily a pack a day and they didn't have any issues going over. Is that a common deal? Or just a "what if you get sick" kind of scenario?

No issue going over, more of a significant cultural thing to be aware of, if you are planning on relocating to a country that currently has no provision for general state funded public health care services.

Pre-exisitng medical conditions, being overweight, over 50, unfit or smoking 20 a day will likely mean 'rather high' health insurance fees or exemption clauses or even denial of care. Dental care is usually classed separately and would need another insurance policy to cover that.

UK, Aus & Can are polar opposites, knew a fella that got a knock on the head in sydney and got a free $1,000 aud ct scan the next morn, after waving a uk passport, also was claiming a the LAFH allowance..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No 2nd round, annual event only.

In fact they slightly usually over issue guessing by about 5-10%, as not everyone offered one initially will qualify so there is a slight surplus to pick from. So if offered one, still have to qualify as suitable candidate.

E.g. Any criminal history, slightly inaccurate application details, or even if they think you may harbour any views that may be unconstitutional or beneficial to the land of opportunity, you may be rejected and another selected from the surplus group.

I think it is a gross exaggeration to say it is not worth your while to even apply in these cases. Health care costs are very, very high, but most people get their health insurance through their jobs.

Maybe so, though bear in mind insurance policies for most things won't cover any 'pre-existing conditions', unless maybe an 'enhanced premium' is paid on top. Lifestyle factors combinations (e.g. smoking/weight/age...) may also see additional 'voluntary' premium. A house insured on a flood plain would be almost impossible to insure against flooding.

Maybe so, though bear in mind insurance policies for most things won't cover any 'pre-existing conditions', unless maybe an 'enhanced premium' is paid on top. Lifestyle factors combinations (e.g. smoking/weight/age...) may also see additional 'voluntary' premium. A house insured on a flood plain would be almost impossible to insure against flooding.

Not true. I lived there for nearly 20 years. I knew plenty of people who had various medical issues of varying degrees of seriousness. Plenty of them had no problem finding work, and/or getting insurance through their jobs. The US economy would shut down over night, if every single employee was expected to have a clean bill of health in all areas.

Granted, if you applied for a job and you were in the advanced stages of a serious disease, you would probably be out of luck getting the job. It is also becoming more common for companies to screen applicants for any health red flags (such as smoking) before they hire them. It is common, but is very far from being 100% nationwide. So to say that no one should even apply for a green card, if they have any sort of pre existing medical condition, or they smoke, is a bit much imo.

I lived in a hurricane prone region for a while. I had to pay a lot for house insurance, but no one ever refused me coverage.

Now I never said don't apply. Just said it's an very important factor to bear in mind if it applies to you. e.g. If you're:
    i) Over 50, a smoker, overweight, perhaps with diabetes type2 or currently receiving medications (a lot of folks fall within this basic combination threshold already). Then maybe have a look at the Canadian options too (points based entry, and different healthcare system). Sure maybe Barry will fix it all before end of his term? Future advances could even see dna profiling for predictive event pattern insurance.

• Advertisement

You said its not worth your while to even apply if you are are a injury prone, a smoker, or have an illness. I do agree that a person with a serious medical condition, would need to think very carefully about their medical care, if they are planning a move to the US. But to to say that all those people needn't bother applying at all, is a bit of an over reaction imo.The last company I worked for based your health insurance premiums on your age and your sex. Whether or not I was a smoker or injury prone, didn't have anything to do with it.

So anyway, just a quick question, got the interview date at the embassy today, and also a notification to pay an additional $330 to the USCIS regardless of passing the interview or not... Thought it was just €350 for medical and $775 at Embassy??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

slinkypink wrote: »
    So anyway, just a quick question, got the interview date at the embassy today, and also a notification to pay an additional $330 to the USCIS regardless of passing the interview or not... Thought it was just €350 for medical and $775 at Embassy??

Did you get picked this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 minaeire

slinkypink wrote: »

The USCIS charge only came in last year.
    It will take a few months to receive your GC when you submit this

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Guess I/We should focus on the future.. When does it open again? October?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Dunno how it is now, it was OCT the few times I've done it.

You'd have to wait for the 2016 one which should be this year starting Oct 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Read the previous comments for data on number of Irish (N/S) winners, how to apply and link to the official website which has the entry criteria/dates etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Have many Irish been successful with this? I don't mind re applying every year just curious

Not many, I think about 100 odd a year.

Advertisement