Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not at all, you can apply every single year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Any idea of when its open this year?

I read last year that there maybe know this year

Usually it is early October and runs for a month.

• Advertisement

Dv lottery is on again this year. Confirmed this evening.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/instructions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I think you have to be married alright.

My OH was selected in 2011. Because we weren't married (though we were together several years), I couldn't be included on his application. When we moved to the US in 2013, I had to find my own sponsorship.

My OH was notified that he was selected in June/July, the application forms arrived and had to be mailed ASAP. So we would only have had a few weeks in which to get married so that I could be included on the application form. His interview date came up in September, so it was all very fast.

You wouldn't have to be married when you actually apply to the lottery, but, if selected, you would need to be married for you both to go on the official application. Winners of the lottery are given the chance to apply. Your status at the time of application is what matters.

• Advertisement

Well, not in Ireland as you are required to give 3 months notice. But elsewhere, yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

How do you go about the picture for the application? Can they be cropped passport pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Don't forget that in Ireland you need to give 3 months notice of intention to marry. So there probably wouldn't be enough time.

iDann wrote: »
    How do you go about the picture for the application? Can they be cropped passport pics?

Not European passport pics, wrong size. There are specific places in Dublin, such as the pharmacy across the bridge from the US embassy, that does US style passport pics. I believe there is also internet programs that can get you a correctly dimentioned pic you can print out. They are very picky on the passport pics (ever tried to get a 4 months old to not laugh, have eyes open and mouth closed?)

silja wrote: »
    Not European passport pics, wrong size. There are specific places in Dublin, such as the pharmacy across the bridge from the US embassy, that does US style passport pics. I believe there is also internet programs that can get you a correctly dimentioned pic you can print out. They are very picky on the passport pics (ever tried to get a 4 months old to not laugh, have eyes open and mouth closed?)
    I used an app to resize the photos I took last year of my self and my mother. Bit fiddley at first but got there.

The site even has a photo check too. Before you submit the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hiddenirish

If everybody could hold off until next year so I can win this year that'd be lovely. You're all great people <3

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

If everybody could hold off until next year so I can win this year that'd be lovely. You're all great people <3

and how long have you been applying for??

and how long have you been applying for??

All joking aside, this will be my second year. I was unfortunately not picked last year, but who knows, maybe this is my year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

All joking aside, this will be my second year. I was unfortunately not picked last year, but who knows, maybe this is my year.

You have a 1.31% of winning says Wiki :P

• Advertisement

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    You have a 1.31% of winning says Wiki :P

I like those odds

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Don't forget that in Ireland you need to give 3 months notice of intention to marry. So there probably wouldn't be enough time.

Although usually you do need to give 3 months notice, there are exemptions to this. You can get married in a short period of time if needed. Get a date and go to court to get an approval from a judge. Very easy to do and you won't be the first to do it.
    Just make sure you have it done in advance of the interview and you send of your marriage cert to the embassy as soon as you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sabkelly

I've just submitted my application for DV 2016, but now I'm thinking I may have been a little impulsive! I mean it's received and everything, but doesn't the DV 2016 entry open later on today?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

This website the one and only website you should use.

https://www.dvlottery.state.gov

For 2016 lotto it's open from today till Nov 3.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sabkelly

Yes. Thanks for that.
    That's the link I used. I'm probably okay then.

Best of luck to you also.

Guys for the education part of the DV forms, where does a HND fall? Some University?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

where does a HND fall? Some University?

HigherNationalDiploma's are indeed 'Uni' or third 'tertiary' level courses. Sometimes called 'Level 5' too. This will be my circa 15/20th lucky application so the application forms are even more of a breeze through now :).

Joe Doe wrote: »
    HigherNationalDiploma's are indeed 'Uni' or third 'tertiary' level courses. Sometimes called 'Level 5' too. This will be my circa 15/20th lucky application so the application forms are even more of a breeze through now :).

Thanks for the info! I've more than met the working requirements and my education requirements are fine too, I just didn't know where I fell on the forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Applying for the third year in a row. Got my passport photo taken in Dublin 2 years ago especially for the requirments set out on application. Should I update my photo this year? Is it important to do this or would that be a cause of failing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

yew_tree wrote: »
    Applying for the third year in a row. Got my passport photo taken in Dublin 2 years ago especially for the requirments set out on application. Should I update my photo this year? Is it important to do this or would that be a cause of failing?

same here - my third year applying, and got a photo taken over a year ago (used on last years application, and i have just submitted this years with the same photo. I now regret that! hopefully that's not grounds for disqualification..

crap....

Advertisement