Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

yew_tree wrote: »
    Applying for the third year in a row. Got my passport photo taken in Dublin 2 years ago especially for the requirments set out on application. Should I update my photo this year? Is it important to do this or would that be a cause of failing?

I think the photo has to be less than 6 months old. It's fairly easy to take your own photo and use a website like pixlr.com to get the photo to meet the requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

Just curious, what is vocational school? deferring 3rd year IT so don't really see it as uni?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

If you were successful, is there requirements on how much money you need to have before you go over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Don't think so, but you have to go over to the states within something like 6 months I believe, so you need enough for a plane ticket/accommodation while it gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hiddenirish

iDann wrote: »
    If you were successful, is there requirements on how much money you need to have before you go over?

You absolutely need to have some money behind you before going over, how much you need varies depending on who you ask and the year they got accepted. Generally you should have enough cash saved that you're above the poverty line, you should have between €8-10K in your bank before even attempting an international move in general however.

Early expenses may be a once off, but they mount up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Under that question on the form, its not that clear. What if,
    like me you have your leaving cert and a higher cert from an IT here in Ireland. What option would you select?

I should mention i am not currently in a college course but working full time in the IT industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Anyone no?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Intending to apply for this, but fwiw in the unlikely event of my application being successful are there opportunities to pull out of the programme and let someone else get the visa? Or if you're successful do you basically have to be 100% in it? Only asking because some personal issues have arisen recently that may or may not improve, but I still want to apply because even if I am successful it's still a good while before I could actually use the visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Is the site down for anyone that tried today?
    Does this happen often? Never noticed it down before myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

yew_tree wrote: »
    Under that question on the form, its not that clear. What if,
    like me you have your leaving cert and a higher cert from an IT here in Ireland. What option would you select?

I should mention i am not currently in a college course but working full time in the IT industry.
    Some University Courses

Your Leaving Cert fulfills all education requirements anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Intending to apply for this, but fwiw in the unlikely event of my application being successful are there opportunities to pull out of the programme and let someone else get the visa? Or if you're successful do you basically have to be 100% in it? Only asking because some personal issues have arisen recently that may or may not improve, but I still want to apply because even if I am successful it's still a good while before I could actually use the visa.
    No, and you'd be very stupid to do that, chances of winning are 1.31%.

Getting selected does not mean you get a visa, it just means you've passed the first stage. Then you've to actually go through everything to get the visa, and then you MUST go to the states before your visa expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Holsten wrote: »
    and then you MUST go to the states before your visa expires.

I meant "a while" in the sense that, if I'm not mistaken, the visa is for 2016 entry to the States for permanent residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I meant "a while" in the sense that, if I'm not mistaken, the visa is for 2016 entry to the States for permanent residency.

Yes. If selected, you win the chance to apply. Once you send in your application, you wait for interview. Interviews take place from late 2015 through early to mid 2016, until the green cards are all allocated.

Attending for interview is the point where you essentially decide to commit, as you would need to take an expensive medical and pay the application processing fees.

Once the green card is issued (which can happen within a week of your interview, if everything is in order and the GC is granted), you have 6 months to enter the US and activate the Green Card. For the current program, DV-2016, this activation will take place in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

If you go back and read the first page or so, it lists, in detail, everything that has to happen, and happens to you within the first few months after getting selected.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Best of luck to everyone who applied for DV 2016.

Here's to hoping I'll be second time lucky! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Here's hoping to 11th time lucky here..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Here's 15-20th time lucky (lost count lol...)

Although this link isn't from the official 'state.gov' site (there are many cloned sites out there) it shows the stats of the winners from 2014
    < http://www.dvlottery.com/winners.shtmlDistribution > as you can see Ireland 138(s)+45(n).
    UKR faired the best in Eurozone with 6,424 visas/cards made available.
    Another top country was in Asia, with IRN which had 6,029 available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭98-00

Does completing the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, which is valid for two years have any effect on applying for a green card?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hypochondriac

Having my DV visa interview in Dublin soon after about 13-14 years of trying... A couple of questions:

1) Does the embassy accept payments by money order that one can get in your local bank ?
    2) I read through this forum and it says that applicants should attend their visa interview with a pre stamped envelope but the embassy website mentions that applicants have to be registered with DPD courier for the return of their docs. Has it process been changed recently ?
    3) still waiting on some docs to arrive and it's a bit of stressful gamble with post-Xmas An Post. If I do not get the docs in time for the interview, should I still attend the interview and request for a possibility to be put on administrative processing ?

Thanks for help and happy 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

My Mom just had her visa renewed and she had to go to the DPD depot to collect hers.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    My Mom just had her visa renewed and she had to go to the DPD depot to collect hers.

Thanks. It's good to know that the process has changed very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

1) Does the embassy accept payments by money order that one can get in your local bank ?

I paid by bank draft for "US Embassy". According to FAQ you can also pay by credit card.
    2) I read through this forum and it says that applicants should attend their visa interview with a pre stamped envelope but the embassy website mentions that applicants have to be registered with DPD courier for the return of their docs. Has it process been changed recently ?
    I had to register with DPD in August. Make sure you register separately for each visa applicant!
    3) still waiting on some docs to arrive and it's a bit of stressful gamble with post-Xmas An Post. If I do not get the docs in time for the interview, should I still attend the interview and request for a possibility to be put on administrative processing ?

Thanks for help and happy 2015.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I didn't provide them with all the info. I did it after the interview. They sent passports back (with the GC) shortly after receiving everything.

Thanks for your reply Zielarz. I suppose by availing of a bank draft or getting US dollars in advance, you win in terms of the exchange rate at the Embassy, which is not great at all according to other useful posts on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Hi there.
    Just wondering if anyone has been interviewed for DV2015 at USA Embassy Dublin?
    Thnks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement