Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

It is! - Goodluck!! - 12PM EDT (5pm irish time) http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC/ -- my third time applying.. oooooooh please god!!

same here

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I have not been selected...grr. Good luck everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

scdublin wrote: »
    I have not been selected...grr. Good luck everyone else!

results are not out until 12PM EDT (5pm Irish Time)........

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hiddenirish

Good luck Ladies and Gents. Hope your dreams come true.

• Advertisement

Another no here :( - third year in a row.. well, there's always next year i guess.. good luck everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Unsuccessful

A no for me too. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

No joy for me either. Third year in a row. Gah!

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, what would you have done if one of you got the visa and not the other?

There isn't much of a way around it, you'd probably have to surrender the visa process. In Ireland you need to give a three month notice before you get married, this would stop you from changing your circumstances with the visa before the interview came through.

Just stuff to consider if you intend to apply again, because even if you had gotten it heartbreak was probably going to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Ah, weird it didn't give me a "please come back" message or something. The site has crashed now...I won't hold my breath though :p

I presume that once it says "Not been selected" that that's it for this year? as in, there is no possibility of them re-drawing ?

The US is cracking down on marriages for the sake of a visa. They can reject any claim they get and considering the winner would not be a citizen, well they are within their rights to send you both packing.

Friends of mine who got married by choice, rather than circumstance, to partners in the US had an extremely difficult time getting their papers approved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Just on this. If one of you were selected, then you would have to be married by the time the application forms are submitted for the Green Card in order for you both to get a card. If you marry afterwards, you are subject to a long wait for a Green Card as a spouse of a GC holder. Currently the wait is about 2 years.

My husband won the diversity lottery in 2011, but we weren't married then, so I had to find my own way to the US.

• Advertisement

biddywiddy wrote: »

My husband won the diversity lottery in 2011, but we weren't married then, so I had to find my own way to the US.

It's a bummer, but thats how it is.

Every year i keep saying the same thing to myself " don't set all your hopes on this " but every year i always do! - haven't been able to think about anything else all day.. it's devastating when you see that " Has not been selected " :(

Roll on October so i can apply again!.. or if there is a second round (which im not sure there is?) - here's hoping!

Every year i keep saying the same thing to myself " don't set all your hopes on this " but every year i always do! - haven't been able to think about anything else all day.. it's devastating when you see that " Has not been selected " :(

Roll on October so i can apply again!.. or if there is a second round (which im not sure there is?) - here's hoping!

If you got a no, then it's a no I'm afraid. Hopefully the lottery does get renewed in October, it is not guaranteed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I chanced an application this year too. I'm living in Canada and I'm pretty happy here, but I'd like to have the option of going to the States. Both my fiance and I got the "HAVE NOT BEEN SELECTED" result too :(

Faith wrote: »
    I chanced an application this year too. I'm living in Canada and I'm pretty happy here, but I'd like to have the option of going to the States. Both my fiance and I got the "HAVE NOT BEEN SELECTED" result too :(

Well at least you're happy where you are my friend. Kudos to the eventual nuptials.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

No luck here either at the third time of applying. To be honest I did not hold out much hope but will keep trying anyway. It is like checking the lotto numbers once a year.
    Looking at the data one wonders why this country and indeed many western European countries get so few visas opposed to very poor countries....does it go by population?

yew_tree wrote: »
    No luck here either at the third time of applying. To be honest I did not hold out much hope but will keep trying anyway. It is like checking the lotto numbers once a year.
    Looking at the data one wonders why this country and indeed many western European countries get so few visas opposed to very poor countries....does it go by population?

It appears to be population based. I mean if the cut-off is 50K immigrants in 5 years, how does Ireland ever hit that number at 150 people a year? It would take over 300 years for us to hit the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

You would think it would be easier to win, with the relationship the Irish have with America.

I haven't checked yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

It's a negative for me also on the result checker < https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ESC/ >

The process recommends keeping your confirmation number until at least June 30, 2015 even if you were not selected on May 5 2015.

For the previous DV-2015 lottery there were only 157 winners from the Republic of Ireland, while 41 came from Northern Ireland. Surely they could throw a few more this direction to save us from the rain combined with the water charges.

There were more than 9.3 million qualified entries. The countries with the most awarded are listed here < http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/dv-2015-selected-entrants.html >

i.e.
    LIBERIA 5,000
    CAMEROON 5,000
    ETHIOPIA 4,988
    IRAN 4,992
    NEPAL 4,991
    ETHIOPIA 4,988
    EGYPT 4,988
    UKRAINE 4,679
    UZBEKISTAN 4,368
    CONGO 4,943
    RUSSIA 4,103

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    You would think it would be easier to win, with the relationship the Irish have with America.

I haven't checked yet

Been saying that for over a decade. I mean realistically why does Ireland get less than 1000 per year?

Advertisement