Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Apparently Lithuania got 2,059 visas last year while we got around the 174 mark. Lithuania has a population of 2.9 million or thereabouts. I guess that debunks the population theory. A real shame there is not a closer migration deal between Ireland and the US....should be made easier for US citizens to move here too which I believe is very hard for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 hiddenirish

yew_tree wrote: »
    Apparently Lithuania got 2,059 visas last year while we got around the 174 mark. Lithuania has a population of 2.9 million or thereabouts. I guess that debunks the population theory. A real shame there is not a closer migration deal between Ireland and the US....should be made easier for US citizens to move here too which I believe is very hard for them.

It can be very hard, although they have more options to come here than we do there. With the relationship our two countries share, emigration should be handled far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Could it be strategic rather than population based perhaps?
    I.e. anywhere that is due some extra democracy/revolution or extra McD's drivetroughs??

LIBERIA 5,000
    CAMEROON 5,000
    ETHIOPIA 4,988
    IRAN 4,992
    NEPAL 4,991
    ETHIOPIA 4,988
    EGYPT 4,988
    UKRAINE 4,679
    UZBEKISTAN 4,368
    CONGO 4,943
    RUSSIA 4,103

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Could it be strategic rather than population based perhaps?
    I.e. anywhere that is due some extra democracy/revolution or extra McD's drivetroughs??

LIBERIA 5,000
    CAMEROON 5,000
    ETHIOPIA 4,988
    IRAN 4,992
    NEPAL 4,991
    ETHIOPIA 4,988
    EGYPT 4,988
    UKRAINE 4,679
    UZBEKISTAN 4,368
    CONGO 4,943
    RUSSIA 4,103

And we got a paltry 157... not good odds...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

cena wrote: »
    You would think it would be easier to win, with the relationship the Irish have with America.

I haven't checked yet

Why exactly?

The name of the visa is "diversity" visa - it is to balance out the population into a sustainable growth.

There are currently 39 million Americans that claim Irish Heritage - I'd say the Irish have contributed more than enough to the diversity of the nation.
    It can be very hard, although they have more options to come here than we do there. With the relationship our two countries share, emigration should be handled far better.

Americans have the same hurdles that we do going the other way. They need to have a job that no Irish person can do. If they do it through grandparents, then they have more advantages due to citizenship laws in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Well considering 1 in 7 now live below the poverty line in the US one wonders why they continue to take low skilled migrants in huge numbers while skilled ones are left out in the cold. That debate won't be solved by us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

Ha - oh I know - I loath Patricks Day at the best of times, but all the plastic paddies and people claiming 1/8th Irish irks me no end :D

Americans have the same hurdles that we do going the other way. They need to have a job that no Irish person can do. If they do it through grandparents, then they have more advantages due to citizenship laws in Ireland.

I never said they have it easy, just that they have more options. I even said it can be very hard for them to come over here.

• Advertisement

I never said they have it easy, just that they have more options. I even said it can be very hard for them to come over here.

you said that have more options. One more option - that is it. But withdrawn :)

you said that have more options. One more option - that is it. But withdrawn :)

Well ok fair enough, if you want to get pedantic I was exaggerating by saying options, rather than option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Mine keeps saying Session timed out.

Don't hold out hope tbh but I'll try again later

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

They cap countries at about 7%. Meaning that out of 100,000 winners one country can not have more than 7000 winners. The reason a country like Lithuania has more winners than Ireland is because a lot more Lithuanians apply per/capita than Irish. Plus a little luck I guess.

Palmy wrote: »
    They cap countries at about 7%. Meaning that out of 100,000 winners one country can not have more than 7000 winners. The reason a country like Lithuania has more winners than Ireland is because a lot more Lithuanians apply per/capita than Irish. Plus a little luck I guess.

Wait, do you mean only around 7% of entries can win a visa?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wow, I had no idea less than 200 visas were issued to Irish people every year. I had it in my head that it was around 5000!

Faith wrote: »
    Wow, I had no idea less than 200 visas were issued to Irish people every year. I had it in my head that it was around 5000!

No not at all my friend. I believe the highest output we've had in years was around 210 a few years back.

Lets say 9.5 million people apply in a given year. They randomly select 100,000.Out of those initial 100,000, 55,000 will get green cards .If out of those 9.5 million when they are selecting,they keep pulling a country like China out,they will not select any more Chinese names out once they hit 7% (7000).

Lets say 9.5 million people apply in a given year. They randomly select 100,000.Out of those initial 100,000, 55,000 will get green cards .If out of those 9.5 million when they are selecting,they keep pulling a country like China out,they will not select any more Chinese names out once they hit 7% (7000).

I see. That's interesting. I wonder why Ireland is usually sub-200 though? I mean surely at least one year we'd have to see a few hundred more than normal come out, right?

I think a few years back about 10,000 Irish applied. It really just goes by luck and the amount of people applying for the numbers per country. So basically out of all the Irish applicants you have about a 2% chance of being one of those. I won back in 2009 and it was my first time applying.

• Advertisement

I think a few years back about 10,000 Irish applied. It really just goes by luck and the amount of people applying for the numbers per country. So basically out of all the Irish applicants you have about a 2% chance of being one of those. I won back in 2009 and it was my first time applying.

Congratulations. This was my second attempt, although truthfully I was kind of glad this wasn't my year. I recently got promoted and was kind of hoping I could accumulate a solid year under my new position for making the move.

Hopefully next year.

You definitely need to know if you want to go or not. Your pretty much expected to go within six months once you have gone through the process and have been processed for your visa. If you have a career It would be pretty hard to just pack up and leave unless you are lucky enough to be working for a multi national company. Lucky enough I was self employed and I could just pack up and go with my family.

You definitely need to know if you want to go or not. Your pretty much expected to go within six months once you have gone through the process and have been processed for your visa. If you have a career It would be pretty hard to just pack up and leave unless you are lucky enough to be working for a multi national company. Lucky enough I was self employed and I could just pack up and go with my family.

Oh I'm aware, I could have easily picked up had I gotten it, although I am relieved in another manner for not getting it. I don't disclose what I do for a living, but I wouldn't have trouble finding work. Never have. Got a job in London after only two weeks there.

Hope you're enjoying your stay. Heres to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

cena wrote: »
    You would think it would be easier to win, with the relationship the Irish have with America.

I am a DV-94 winner. In 94, Ireland and the US indeed had a cozy relationship with the US. There was an abundance of visas (basically we were unfairly favored over other countries). Politicians by the name of Donnelly, Morrison and Kennedy made sure of this. Those families no longer have power. Ireland no longer has a 'special relationship'.

Remember, the DV is about diversification of the US. Ireland would be top 3 of 'least diverse' people compared to the US.

If I was trying now, I'd keep applying for the DV, but also the H1-B, if eligible. I think its likely that H1-B will eventually be allowed to convert to a form of long term residency. It really hurts the US to lose some of the long term Hi-B'ers.

Sorry to hear you didn't get it this time.

The thing that really gets me is most Americans think it's easy for people to move here. I tell them the process I went through to get here (DV 2009 ) and they were really surprised.
    They also seem to think they can move to most Western Counties very easily.A lady in her 60's at work was telling me how Herself and her Husband are going to move too Canada.She has had a lot of medical problems and she seems to think she can just move there to get free health care treatment after living her whole life here!...Ah yeah right.

The thing that really gets me is most Americans think it's easy for people to move here. I tell them the process I went through to get here (DV 2009 ) and they were really surprised.
    They also seem to think they can move to most Western Counties very easily.A lady in her 60's at work was telling me how Herself and her Husband are going to move too Canada.She has had a lot of medical problems and she seems to think she can just move there to get free health care treatment after living her whole life here!...Ah yeah right.

I remember living in Barcelona, I was on an interview panel for a job we were trying to fill. An American applied and somehow got to our stage without being asked the specific question about his visa.

So I raised it with him in the interview, he said that he didn't think he needed one . I informed him about it, and we ended the interview pretty much there and then. Two days later we got a letter threatening legal action for discrimination based on nationality - didn't hear much else after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I remember living in Barcelona, I was on an interview panel for a job we were trying to fill. An American applied and somehow got to our stage without being asked the specific question about his visa.

So the guy flew from the US to Spain for a job interview he had no way of getting? Wow.

silja wrote: »
    So the guy flew from the US to Spain for a job interview he had no way of getting? Wow.

Not quite, every year, around June or July, you'd get Americans moving to Europe with no clue of borders or visas, not many but some. They would just assume that it was ok based on their passport. They had romantic notions of living by the Med etc. it wasn't just 20 something's either.

They sincerely couldn't believe that it simply wasn't possible without sponsorship or family links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Can anyone tell me or send me a link for how to apply for this all the ones I keep finding say the application time has closed and has no date on when the next opening to apply will be, Went to New York 6 months ago for my first time in America and I'd do anything to live there :D

• Advertisement

Juan8 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me or send me a link for how to apply for this all the ones I keep finding say the application time has closed and has no date on when the next opening to apply will be, Went to New York 6 months ago for my first time in America and I'd do anything to live there :D

you'll have to wait. It usually opens in November and is announced the following April or May

But they can change what countries are eligible to apply depending on what ethnic mixes they want to immigrate to the US. It isn't a solid bet every year.

Advertisement