Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

you'll have to wait. It usually opens in November and is announced the following April or May

But they can change what countries are eligible to apply depending on what ethnic mixes they want to immigrate to the US. It isn't a solid bet every year.

Ah right, I'll just have to keep and eye open so and put one in every year and hopefully get lucky, Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I've lost track of how many times I've applied - at least ten, possibly twelve?

It doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Possibly the old age allowing me to accept it! :pac:

FGR wrote: »
    I've lost track of how many times I've applied - at least ten, possibly twelve?

It doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Possibly the old age allowing me to accept it! :pac:

Sorry to hear about that mate, all in all I find borders etc ridiculous and think people should be allowed travel and live where they please, I wish everyone else thought like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Juan8 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that mate, all in all I find borders etc ridiculous and think people should be allowed travel and live where they please, I wish everyone else thought like that

Absolutely not, could you imagine. The West would be besieged by poor Asian and African migrants.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Absolutely not, could you imagine. The West would be besieged by poor Asian and African migrants.

Me and you just see the world in different ways then mate, :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I am a DV-94 winner. In 94, Ireland and the US indeed had a cozy relationship with the US. There was an abundance of visas (basically we were unfairly favored over other countries). Politicians by the name of Donnelly, Morrison and Kennedy made sure of this. Those families no longer have power. Ireland no longer has a 'special relationship'.

From the Wikipedia artice on Bruce Morrison, a US Congressman from Connecticut
    He was the House author of the Immigration Act of 1990, one of only two major immigration bills in the country’s history to increase legal immigration. The legislation increased the focus of immigrant admission toward high skilled workers. The bill also included a provision that became known as the Morrison visa program. It allotted 40,000 visas each year for three years to countries that had been disadvantaged by the 1965 immigration legislation. Immigrants from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland were allotted with 40% (16,000) of the visas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Morrison#Morrison_visa

The Morrison visas replaced the Donnelly visas that had been in place 3 or 4 years before that. Legend has it that An Post and Aer Lingus cooperated to gather up all mail sent to the application address, and delivered it to the US Postal Service the day before the actual application window opened, so that they would be right there at the top of the pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadMoonRising

Is the diversity lotto open now?I saw a previous poster saying it opens in november but I saw an ad for it on facebook. Do you have to pay much to enter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I don't believe the government pays for any advertisement of the diversity lottery. Any ads like that are more than likely some sort of scam or money making third party. The official website https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ will announce the open date. And no, you should never pay for it. It's a free lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Is the diversity lotto open now?I saw a previous poster saying it opens in november but I saw an ad for it on facebook. Do you have to pay much to enter?

why not read the thread?
    It is free to enter

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭BadMoonRising

Apologies, had seen that it was free to enter on this thread, then saw what must have been a scam ad on facebook which mentioned discounted entries for more than one applicant, hence my confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Has anyone here ever been interviewed for a DV Visa in Dublin USA Embassy?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

I was in August last year.

zielarz wrote: »
    I was in August last year.

Oh really? Mine is next month. Did yours go okay for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

MossNyc wrote: »
    The girl at the embassy told me that once the temporary greencard is stamped in your passport you have 6 months from that date to travel to the US to activate it. The greencard itself is for 10 years and is sent to the address you specify in the greencard application

Its for permanent residency so id be a little apprehensive going for 2 months then coming home again and going back a few months later . I would check with us immigration or an attorney to be sure
    WIth a greencard you MUST spend at least 6 months in the US. This can be broken up, but effectively the US is now your primary place of residence. Pay your taxes on time each year, keep the returns, behave and after 5 years you can apply for citizenship, and get your US passport.
    I was lucky enough to win a Morrison visa in the 90s and I'd recommend whoever goes there to throw youself into the whole experience and don't look back.
    Great country, good people.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever been interviewed for a DV Visa in Dublin USA Embassy?

Did you win this year

Oh really? Mine is next month. Did yours go okay for you?

Yes, i am currently in USA. Make sure you follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

It's not true that you must spend first 6 months in US. It's true however that you've got 6 months to active your green card. You may come back to Ireland after that but you must make sure you don't spend more than a year outside of US. Once you get a green card US becomes your home, you need to maintain your residence there.

Yes, i am currently in USA. Make sure you follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

It's not true that you must spend first 6 months in US. It's true however that you've got 6 months to active your green card. You may come back to Ireland after that but you must make sure you don't spend more than a year outside of US. Once you get a green card US becomes your home, you need to maintain your residence there.

Thanks,
    I've got the med end of June plus all the docs ready. So hopefully it will go well. How long did the actual interview take? Did you bring photocopies of docs?

cena wrote: »
    Did you win this year

Yeah

Yeah

congrats. First time to enter??

congrats. First time to enter??

No, second time. Dont have it yet though. But hoping interview is fine and Ill get it

• Advertisement

No, second time. Dont have it yet though. But hoping interview is fine and Ill get it
    Lucky you. I have entered 3 times.

HOW DOES YOUR parents and friends feel about you moving ?

what is involved in the medical exam? I have a hand injury.would that affect my if I ever go for a medical exam?

Lucky you. I have entered 3 times.

HOW DOES YOUR parents and friends feel about you moving ?
    I live overseas already so its not a problem. Not sure about the hand injury-maybe someone else might be able to help you with that question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

what is involved in the medical exam? I have a hand injury.would that affect my if I ever go for a medical exam?

they're not interested in that. It is checking that you don't have diseases that would endanger people. They also need you to have your vaccinations up to date

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter2-3.html is a good overview.

I had mine for my GC and it was really straight forward.

Thanks,
    I've got the med end of June plus all the docs ready. So hopefully it will go well. How long did the actual interview take? Did you bring photocopies of docs?

I think it took about 30 minutes but you're waiting most of the time. Yes, bring the photocopies. As far as I remember they will keep the photocopies and give you back the originals.. that's why they're asking for them.

Good luck!!!

I think it took about 30 minutes but you're waiting most of the time. Yes, bring the photocopies. As far as I remember they will keep the photocopies and give you back the originals.. that's why they're asking for them.

Good luck!!!

Thanks!

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me how long I will be waiting for my Social Security number to be ready, after arriving in USA, so I can start working legally once I arrive in USA?
    Thnks

When does this open again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me how long I will be waiting for my Social Security number to be ready, after arriving in USA, so I can start working legally once I arrive in USA?
    Thnks

From other people who have applied that I know - they've said you have to wait around 10 days once you enter the USA to give their system a chance to update your status (saying you're legal). It can take a week or two for the SSN to be mailed out to you - however my friend went after 3 days and they were able to give her the number.

However I believe you can get a letter off them when you apply stating that you've applied and that employers are allowed to take that as proof that you can work - as long as you update them with the SSN when you receive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

When does this open again?

Mid October usually

Advertisement