Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

You can go into the U.S Embassy in Dublin and apply for your Social
    Security number( they have the forms). Then they will send it to your Irish address. This is what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Palmy wrote: »
    You can go into the U.S Embassy in Dublin and apply for your Social
    Security number( they have the forms). Then they will send it to your Irish address. This is what I did.

Really?
    Thats great news. Is there any particular day/time I need to go in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Nope, just take your Visa, Green Card etc. tell the security guards that you need to apply for your Social security card and they will let you in. Fill the form out and you will have it in about 2 weeks. A lot less hassle than waiting to get State side and then applying for one. You will be ready to hit the ground running once you get there.

Palmy wrote: »
    Nope, just take your Visa, Green Card etc. tell the security guards that you need to apply for your Social security card and they will let you in. Fill the form out and you will have it in about 2 weeks. A lot less hassle than waiting to get State side and then applying for one. You will be ready to hit the ground running once you get there.

Yeah, so much less hassle. Thanks for letting m know about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Wexford96 wrote: »
    Yeah, so much less hassle. Thanks for letting m know about this.

you may want to call them before heading down

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/ssa_question_3.html

Indicates that you need to the enter the US to get a SS for the first time. As with everything with US immigration, it doesn't expressly say that it is the same for GC holders but it could be so would be worth calling them.

For us, entering on a Visa - we had to wait around 10 days for our details to get across the system - we then had our cards in 2 weeks of so. I was working on day 4 in the country - my company just "zero'd" my SS number until I passed it along to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Im planning on applying for the green card lotto this year, just wondering is it just a matter of filling in some forms or is there stuff I can have ready for it like police certs, birth cert etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

m.j.w wrote: »
    Im planning on applying for the green card lotto this year, just wondering is it just a matter of filling in some forms or is there stuff I can have ready for it like police certs, birth cert etc

Not really. The initial stage is just an online form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Besides personal details all you will need to enter is a digital photograph that meets the requirements.

You only need to start collecting documents if you are successful in the lottery (< 1% chance). Even then there can be a wait of from 4 to 16 months before you need to submit everything to the embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Did you read any part of this thread? You will find your answer within. Lots of people with informative and helpful contributions based on personal experiences have gone to the trouble of posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Did you read any part of this thread? You will find your answer within. Lots of people with informative and helpful contributions based on personal experiences have gone to the trouble of posting here.

Clearly not.

Thanks for the replys lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I'm hoping to apply this year, I'm a permanent resident in Australia at the moment but I assume I still apply as an Irish citizen? How do you find out when it actually opens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

https://www.dvlottery.state.gov

Keep checking that. Seems to be around the same dates yearly - but obviously that's no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 olena777

1 oct - 2 nd nov this year ( for 2017)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

olena777 wrote: »
    1 oct - 2 nd nov this year ( for 2017)

Is that official ? Don't see it on dvlottery.state.gov ? :)

its published yesterday on a usa embassy in Russia website.

Of course , need to win first, but
    Vaccinations You Must Have ( no idea where to get info as I don't have 1 records...) and my kids NOT VACCINATED AT ALL!!!
    Maybe wont waste a time... or they will give some time to make vaccinations after?

The required vaccinations presently include the ones listed below. Some of these are required only in certain age groups. If other diseases later become preventable by vaccines, they may be added to this list.

• mumps

• rubella

• measles

• polio

• tetanus and diphtheria toxoids

• pertussis

• influenza (including type B)

• hepatitis A and B

• varicella

• meningococcal bacteria

• pneumococcal bacteria

• rotavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

olena777 wrote: »
    its published yesterday on a usa embassy in Russia website.

Of course , need to win first, but
    Vaccinations You Must Have ( no idea where to get info as I don't have 1 records...) and my kids NOT VACCINATED AT ALL!!!
    Maybe wont waste a time... or they will give some time to make vaccinations after?

The required vaccinations presently include the ones listed below. Some of these are required only in certain age groups. If other diseases later become preventable by vaccines, they may be added to this list.

• mumps

• rubella

• measles

• polio

• tetanus and diphtheria toxoids

• pertussis

• influenza (including type B)

• hepatitis A and B

• varicella

• meningococcal bacteria

• pneumococcal bacteria

• rotavirus.

IS that site legit??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

The ONLY official site is:

https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/

cena wrote: »
    IS that site legit??

It an EMBASSY of USA in Moscow ( same as in Dublin) . They just published info, they not except application for lottery.

October 1st today and still no official postings about DV2017 :( -- the last two years have been held from October 1st. Hopefully something soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's open now.

Quick question - say I applied this year and got accepted. What's the timeline like then? When would I have to enter the states properly, and how long do you need to spend there? If I didn't want to move for a few years, is there a point in applying this year?

Faith wrote: »
    It's open now.

Quick question - say I applied this year and got accepted. What's the timeline like then? When would I have to enter the states properly, and how long do you need to spend there? If I didn't want to move for a few years, is there a point in applying this year?

I believe, from reading the initial few pages of posts, that the timeline is roughly a year. The results will be out May 2016, if selected, you will be called for Embassy Interview based upon your Case Number (the lower the better)

Within that time frame you would be getting all your records in check, getting the medical, Garda Clearance, and save save save.

4th year applying, here's hoping!!

good luck to you and all

Rob

Results of lottery - May 2016 , interview for winners autumn/winter 2016/17. You have to enter USA in 6 month after approval, you can leave it back next flight, BUT you have to live in states 6 month/year AT LEAST or you will loose Green card.

You cant be permanent resident in Ireland (183 days/year min) and green-card holder USA the same time, as its required from you more then half-year on both countries. I cant imagine how its possible for few years...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks folks, I was googling but didn't think to just read the early thread :o. Seems about 24 months from date of application is roughly the average maximum. Apply in October, get selected in May, interview 6-12 months later, then have 6 months to activate the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Going to do this at the weekend, would be amazing to live in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

toadfly wrote: »
    Going to do this at the weekend, would be amazing to live in NY.

YEsssssss it would

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I cant seem to get the link now, can anyone provide it as the usual site isnt showing it. Just links to results of previous year.

EDIT: When I apply, do I add my spouse to my application or does he apply himself? If I add him, can he also apply and add me or will that disqualify us?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

I cant seem to get the link now, can anyone provide it as the usual site isnt showing it. Just links to results of previous year.

https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/
    EDIT: When I apply, do I add my spouse to my application or does he apply himself? If I add him, can he also apply and add me or will that disqualify us?

You can both apply individually and it will increase your chances of getting selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hello777

Hi

Myself and my girlfriend are planning on applying this year. We are common law status at the minute and are planning on getting married in December. Just wondering should we put each other as spouses on the application. If not and we put down single what would happen if one of us where to be accepted as we would be married at that stage

Cheers

• Advertisement

hello777 wrote: »
    Hi

Myself and my girlfriend are planning on applying this year. We are common law status at the minute and are planning on getting married in December. Just wondering should we put each other as spouses on the application. If not and we put down single what would happen if one of us where to be accepted as we would be married at that stage

Cheers

http://britsimonsays.com/marital-status-getting-married-dv-lottery-process/

Advertisement