Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Quick question regarding the photo upload.

Is a phone pic acceptable once it meets the criteria and passes phototool upload?

I don't want to be rejected because of a poor photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Neilw wrote: »

Is a phone pic acceptable once it meets the criteria and passes phototool upload?

I was thinking the same thing - would be great if someone knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Missorange

Hey everyone!
    I entered the DV last night but slightly (major!) concerned about my leaving cert! Basically I might as well not have sat the thing it is that bad!! will that make a difference if I happened to get anywhere with the DV lotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 olena777

Neilw wrote: »

The image must be in the Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) format.
    The maximum image file size is 240 kilobytes (240 KB).
    Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 pixels (width) x 600 pixels (height) up to 1200 pixels x 1200 pixels. Image pixel dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (meaning the height must be equal to the width).
    Image must be in color (24 bits per pixel). 24-bit black and white or 8-bit images will not be accepted.
    It is acceptable to use the red-eye reduction option on your digital camera when you are taking the photo. However, you cannot use any photo editing tool to digitally remove the red-eye from your photo. In general, you are not allowed to digitally enhance or alter the photo to change your appearance in any way.

Check properties of phone pics ( 24 bit?) and not use photoshop/editors!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Ok. This is the 13th time I've applied. It's unlucky for some but hey you never know. :pac:

I'm a strong believer in controlling a country's borders - especially as an economy can only handle so many people and requires particular skills and needs. I honestly think a random lottery is a terrible approach. I'm surprised they haven't changed it to a requirement based on skill/merit like Canada or Australia. That said, I'd find it just as tough that way too as I'm not the only one with a degree.

Oh; I also used that photo tool on the official website and submitted the photo that popped out of it. Hopefully it's ok.

• Advertisement

Missorange wrote: »
    Hey everyone!
    I entered the DV last night but slightly (major!) concerned about my leaving cert! Basically I might as well not have sat the thing it is that bad!! will that make a difference if I happened to get anywhere with the DV lotto?

Anyone? I have E-mailed the embassy already but they could not help me with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

From the DV-2016 Instructions:

"U.S. immigration law and regulations require that every DV entrant must have at least a high school education or its equivalent or have two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience. A “high school education or equivalent” is defined as successful completion of a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education in the United States OR the successful completion in another country of a formal course of elementary and secondary education comparable to a high school education in the United States. Only formal courses of study meet this requirement; correspondence programs or equivalency certificates (such as the General Equivalency Diploma G.E.D.) are not acceptable.

Documentary proof of education or work experience must be presented to the consular officer at the time of the visa interview. If you do not meet the requirements for education or work experience, your entry will be disqualified at the time of your visa interview, and no visas will be issued to you or any of your family members. "

The instructions also contain info on the types of jobs that will be accepted as work experience. LINK.

Hi thank you biddywiddy.
    I have already found all that info before entering . I am trying to find out if my grades in the leaving cert are taken into account or is the fact I sat the thing enough as tbh mine is terrible! Didn't study etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Hi thank you biddywiddy.
    I have already found all that info before entering . I am trying to find out if my grades in the leaving cert are taken into account or is the fact I sat the thing enough as tbh mine is terrible! Didn't study etc etc

If you passed the Leaving you are good. Just have a leaving Cert....then you pass the educational requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Hi thank you biddywiddy.

As stated above, as long as you finished school and did the leaving cert, you're all set. In the US, a lot of people drop out of high school and don't get a high school diploma (meaning you finished HS without flunking out).

If they want to get a diploma later on, they can take this test - http://www2.ed.gov/programs/hep/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Can anyone tell me what the prices for the medical, processing the visa etc are if successful? I know my chances are slim, but I don't want to apply if I'm not 100% sure what my financial status should be and how much it'll cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Can anyone tell me what the prices for the medical, processing the visa etc are if successful? I know my chances are slim, but I don't want to apply if I'm not 100% sure what my financial status should be and how much it'll cost.
    Medical fee = 400
    Interview fee = 300
    UCIS Immigrant fee = 150

So that's €850, not including fees for any documentation you have to pay for.

More importantly you have prove at the Visa interview that you will be able to support yourself once you enter the USA. You need a figure of about €12,000 in your bank account and pretty much proof that this was saved incrementally over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Full

As stated above, as long as you finished school and did the leaving cert, you're all set. In the US, a lot of people drop out of high school and don't get a high school diploma (meaning you finished HS without flunking out).

If they want to get a diploma later on, they can take this test

What if I did my Leaving Cert in a vocational school? 5 years all together without transition year. Does this also count?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Medical fee = 400
    Interview fee = 300
    UCIS Immigrant fee = 150

Yes and that's only if you're single. If you're applying with your family then you'll have to multiply these amounts. Not sure about "interview fee" but the other two are definitely per family member. Medical fee is a bit lower for kids as far as I remember.

Also note that if you've been living outside of Ireland for more than a half year you'll also need background checks from that country. You may require translations. That cost me another couple of hundred euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Full wrote: »
    What if I did my Leaving Cert in a vocational school? 5 years all together without transition year. Does this also count?

Sure, that's called a Vo-Tech high school here. Same diploma. Different focus, but that's not important as far as your application goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

zielarz wrote: »
    Yes and that's only if you're single. If you're applying with your family then you'll have to multiply these amounts. Not sure about "interview fee" but the other two are definitely per family member. Medical fee is a bit lower for kids as far as I remember.

It'll just be me, but that's still good to know. Thanks for your help, and thanks Duckworth_LUAS. What does the medical usually include? I'm aware blood testing and stuff will probably play a part, but I've looked it up and I'm kind of curious about the "examination of external genitalia" (http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/what-expect-green-card-medical-exam.html), it's a bit surprising to see to say the least. But maybe it's a common part of a medical examination for permanent residency visas in most countries? Just caught me off guard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I'm kind of curious about the "examination of external genitalia"!

A lot depends on the country you are going through. In some countries, a male may pretend to be female because there is a myth about that they get visas easier, so they check.... in Ireland they don't usually. In some countries, like Jamaica, they routinely drug test, in Ireland they do not unless they suspect something.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

I'm aware blood testing and stuff will probably play a part, but I've looked it up and I'm kind of curious about the "examination of external genitalia" (http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/what-expect-green-card-medical-exam.html), it's a bit surprising to see to say the least. But maybe it's a common part of a medical examination for permanent residency visas in most countries? Just caught me off guard!

They had to do couple of shots for me, even though I've taken them as a child. They also do a chest x-ray, some basic vision test, this sort of things.

Yeah, they checked if I am a man, here in Dublin. I don't think there was any doubts about my gender so I believe that's a norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

So, did everyone interested manage to apply this year https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/
    i.e for 'DV 2017'?

Can check your success-status from 3 May 2016,
    the odds are high but there's no harm in having a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Myself and the girlfriend entered for the first time this year. Out of curiosity is there any website that tells you how many people apply from each country and not just how many are accepted from each country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

m.j.w wrote: »
    is there any website that tells you how many people apply from each country and not just how many are accepted from each country.

Yes, links and data (public domain) are available on previous posts.

On average over the last few years the winners have been circa ROI:141 N'IRE:44. Realistically assuming about 10-20,000 would apply (from this part of the world) yearly there is a small but viable chance of success. Around 50m people apply globally.

Most (thousands) go to 'random but strategic' places such as Ukraine, Iraq, Afgan etc presumably (I'm guessing) for persons whom 'assist with overseas interests'. Although it's classed as a lottery with random selection.

Many countries can't apply such as the uk, with the North being an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

signed up for 2017 lottery, here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Yes, links and data (public domain) are available on previous posts.

On average over the last few years the winners have been circa ROI:141 N'IRE:44. Realistically assuming about 10-20,000 would apply (from this part of the world) yearly there is a small but viable chance of success. Around 50m people apply globally.

Most (thousands) go to 'random but strategic' places such as Ukraine, Iraq, Afgan etc presumably (I'm guessing) for persons whom 'assist with overseas interests'. Although it's classed as a lottery with random selection.

Many countries can't apply such as the uk, with the North being an exception.

Cheers, yea I applied though the north and girlfriend was through the south. Here's hoping alrite. Currently in Canada and wouldnt mind a change in weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Fourth year to enter. I really really hope its my time this around.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kn0ckers

Medical fee = 400
    Interview fee = 300
    UCIS Immigrant fee = 150

More importantly you have prove at the Visa interview that you will be able to support yourself once you enter the USA. You need a figure of about €12,000 in your bank account and pretty much proof that this was saved incrementally over time.

Hi Duckworth ,

Can i ask where you got the 12k from>? I am at the interview stage with the DV at the minute and all i gotta do i provide proof of funds .. I have around 6.5k and still employed making near 3k monthly .I will be in the job for another few months anyways..

Question : do you think they will deny ask funds are too low or what will they say? Also why would you need to show a trail//? 5k of mine is inheritance my parents have kept for me so i wouldnt spend it .. Will this be a problem do you think?

Cheers in advance and any help appreeciated.

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

kn0ckers wrote: »
    Hi Duckworth ,

Can i ask where you got the 12k from>? I am at the interview stage with the DV at the minute and all i gotta do i provide proof of funds .. I have around 6.5k and still employed making near 3k monthly .I will be in the job for another few months anyways..

Question : do you think they will deny ask funds are too low or what will they say? Also why would you need to show a trail//? 5k of mine is inheritance my parents have kept for me so i wouldnt spend it .. Will this be a problem do you think?

Cheers in advance and any help appreeciated.

Alan
    You have to be able to prove that you will be able to support yourself immediately on entering the USA.

As a result you have to be able to show you have access to funds that put you above the US poverty line. For 2015 this was $11,770, which is approximately €12,00.

You need to show a trail so that you don't just borrow the money the day before the interview and then pay it back the day after.

The inheritance would not a problem BTW.

Check out this DV Lottery forum, the mods there are really knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Make a note of anything you have as value or Asset that you would be selling if you were to leave(Car etc ) and value it separately. You may not be cash rich but Asset rich.
    It still wouldn't help if say your parents gave you money to also put in your account to show more money. I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your family but mine gave me money as a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Do you have any immediate family members in the US? When I was notified that my green card application was successful, I was only a couple of years out of college. I had an ok job, but there was no way I could have saved up the kind of money that met the criteria, in the time frame that I had. So my sister helped me out. She was a US resident at the time.

She sent me affidavit stating that she was good for the money, a copy of her bank statement & a letter stating that she was willing to support me financially should the need arise. I submitted all that with my green card paperwork. That was over 20 years ago, dunno if it's still the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kn0ckers

You have to be able to prove that you will be able to support yourself immediately on entering the USA.

As a result you have to be able to show you have access to funds that put you above the US poverty line. For 2015 this was $11,770, which is approximately €12,00.

You need to show a trail so that you don't just borrow the money the day before the interview and then pay it back the day after.

The inheritance would not a problem BTW.

Check out this DV Lottery forum, the mods there are really knowledgeable.

Cheers for the reply duckworth.... I sent in the bank statement with roughly 6.5k and got accepted immediately.. Happy frickin days.. [ i do work for a big american company and my skill's are sought over there [IT] so im guessing that helped me in my merry way too..

Anyways best of luck to all.. tis a great but of luck if you get it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

:(

Advertisement