Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

an awful lot worse than what you'll have......freezing cold and snowy

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

June and July here in SD were like winter.
    But also, I much prefer it than the heat. Seeing a few clouds during the day aint bad. Just wish it was a little warmer when the sun goes down.
    And since when did 67F / 18C feel cold? Get used to this place very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

i wish it was in the 60s here.....even overnight it stays in the mid 70s.....driving home from a ball game the other night.....the one that was hot for other reasons....it was 91F at 11:30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

i wish it was in the 60s here.....even overnight it stays in the mid 70s.....driving home from a ball game the other night.....the one that was hot for other reasons....it was 91F at 11:30pm

You should try Phoenix, Arizona at Night :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Hey guys, Im just reading the DV-2012 requirements and it says:
    You must have either a high school education or its equivalent, defined as successful completion of a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education; OR two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience to perform.

So a Leaving Cert is satisfactory? Im sure it is but just some confirmation would be nice! Thanks:)

EDIT: Post #1:o:o

• Advertisement

Yeah. But it's just one part of all the requirements. You'll need the rest too.

Bear in mind though that in this day and age degrees aren't worth much and having a masters is more important. Even more so especially in the states.
    Make sure you complete college in a "careerable" course before thinking of these sort of things. You don't want to have to pay what they pay for education over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

Conor108 wrote: »
    Hey guys, Im just reading the DV-2012 requirements and it says:

So a Leaving Cert is satisfactory? Im sure it is but just some confirmation would be nice! Thanks:)

EDIT: Post #1:o:o
    Yes it is-I brought my other qualifications with me but once I had a copy of my leaving certificate on the day of the interview thats all they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

I am just getting my application together now and this will be my first year to apply (thanks lil lisa for the extremely helpful pm a while back). One question I have is when the results come out next June, do you just hear back if you have been successful, and can you check it yourself to see? God, winning a green card would be as good as winning the real lotto for me :rolleyes:

What do you mean getting an application together? It's nothing more than getting a photo and filling out a form online - 3 mins total.
    Then just forget about it and put it out of your mind. If you are extremely lucky you could have a letter arrive home in may or june from sweden from the Kentucky consular (btw this means you were selected not that you will end up getting it, it's the first stage). Otherwise you'll get nothing.
    No need to overthink this thing until you are picked and have to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

This is where you'll go to check it for next year on or after May 1st 2011.

• Advertisement

I actually never checked on line ( had forgotten tbh)- I just got the letter telling me I was selected and the forms to complete for the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Great thread. Is there any link suggesting a successful applicant needs a certain amount of money to enter the U.S.?

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Great thread. Is there any link suggesting a successful applicant needs a certain amount of money to enter the U.S.?
    We brought bank statements, Pension statements, Credit card statements to show we had savings and no credit card debt, we also brought our mortgage statement (our mortgage is small and we have still alot of equity in our home even in todays market) They kept all of these statements and they were not returned to us. We brought all of these as we were a family of four and we wanted to make sure we were not denied on financial grounds. I would say if your single you have plenty of time now to get your finances in order if your applying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Yes, http://travel.state.gov/pdf/1318-DV2012Instructions-ENGL.pdf, point 34. Basically, you must be able to support yourself by having qualifying income/ job offer, assets or a US based sponsor (friend or family). You must make 125% of the current year poverty level (about $18'200 for two people this year) in income, or 3/ 5 times as much in assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Can you get passport pics taken in photo shops for upload on a disc? Webcam is bust and have none on my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Can you get passport pics taken in photo shops for upload on a disc? Webcam is bust and have none on my computer.

Went here last year: http://www.cameracentre.ie/stores/grafton-street

They take your photo upstairs and when you tell them you are applying for the Green Card they will size it for you onto a disc. €20 if memory serves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ak27

DeadMoney wrote: »

If you have a digital camera you could use that as well, that's what I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Can we get this stickied again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Conor108 wrote: »
    Can we get this stickied again?

Done. Happy holidays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gavwdr

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking into moving to the US for, say 4+years, as i'm sure most of you are aware that there is a lot of paper work and processing time involved. I am looking for a visa (if such visa exist that is) that will allow me to travel to the US and find a job over there. Now I know that visas do run out and I was wondering what visa should I apply for and what happens if my visa runs out?? Can I renew through the irish embassy or do I have to return home?

All advice is welcomed.

Gavwdr

• Advertisement

Gavwdr wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking into moving to the US for, say 4+years, as i'm sure most of you are aware that there is a lot of paper work and processing time involved. I am looking for a visa (if such visa exist that is) that will allow me to travel to the US and find a job over there. Now I know that visas do run out and I was wondering what visa should I apply for and what happens if my visa runs out?? Can I renew through the irish embassy or do I have to return home?

All advice is welcomed.

Gavwdr
    I'm not sure if such a visa exists although others will advise -J1 is for one year only
    I know there is one (visa) if you have a Job you can apply for but I can remember the name although you don't have a job offer so unless you have an offer thats no good.
    This thread is for the diversity lottery which would take two years to get provided you get picked out of the draw.
    I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Gavwdr wrote: »
    I'm currently looking into moving to the US for, say 4+years, as i'm sure most of you are aware that there is a lot of paper work and processing time involved. I am looking for a visa (if such visa exist that is) that will allow me to travel to the US and find a job over there.
    Gavwdr

There isn't a "looking for a job" visa. Your best option is to go over on the visa waiver program for a maximum of 90 days at a time to look for a job- you can interview on this visa, but not actually work. Once you have a job, your employer can then petition for a work visa. Alternatively, find a job in Ireland with a multi-national such as Google or HP and after a couple of years, ask them to transfer you to the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

didnt see this thread before im in the lotto for this year fingers crossed, i still can avail of one j1 and one h1 though so i have basically two years of being able to work over there if i dont get it but it would be pretty convenient to get it first time around

remember that you need to get jobs in your field of study with those year visas. Cant just be any job. It will be tricky then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

thenobody wrote: »
    remember that you need to get jobs in your field of study with those year visas. Cant just be any job. It will be tricky then.

im lucky in that thats not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm sure this is asked quite frequently but -

I've been entering the Lottery since 2004 and have yet to win. Is this common? It's just that so many people seem to win each year I'm beginning to wonder why on Earth I'm not even succeeding in getting past step one.

That said..I'm in it again this year.

Thanks for reading. :)

I've been entering the Lottery since 2004 and have yet to win. Is this common? It's just that so many people seem to win each year I'm beginning to wonder why on Earth I'm not even succeeding in getting past step one.

Huh?
    It is extremely uncommon to win it - or should say randomly picked.
    Only a hundred or slightly more go to Ireland each year and there are hundreds of thousands that apply for it. Everyone I know has been entering for years and I am the only one of them lucky enough to be picked.
    It's all a game of luck and chance. Nothing more. It's just a lottery. (I'd rather have won millions than this but it'll do!)

Never think you are going to win or have a chance at it. Just each year apply online between October and December and then forget about it and get on with life.

We applied 2009 for the first time and got it -we didn't even check the results on-line,we forgot about it and the envelope just arrived in the post, I think 16 million applied that year and only 147 or thereabouts were given to Ireland. We consider ourselves very lucky I know of someone who's applied every year since it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

We were picked in the last one.
    A mate of mine applied and was picked too.
    None of us have actually used it though.
    A few years ago it was different. We all thought we'd need to leave the country because there would be no jobs here. That didnt turn out to be the case though.

I heard its not really random either. The more you make the better the chance. If you are a couple and you have a very high combined income you have more chance.
    If you are currently working in a high paid job you have more chance than if you are not working.
    If a couple both have degrees they more chance.
    If you worked there before, such as a J1 etc you have a better chance.
    If you have relatives who are legal already there.

• Advertisement

That all has nothing to do with being picked.
    It does with getting selected to be given the greencard.
    But that's after you are selected which is completely random.

If you are selected doesn't necessarily mean you will get a greencard

Advertisement