Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No National Primary route in Waterford city?

• 23-03-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Is Waterford the only local authority that does not have a single national primary route within it or running through it?

Wasn't the ORR supposed to be upgraded? Wasn't the bypass supposed to be motorway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 deisebob1

What do you call the new road from Kilmeaden to the Toll? That is the new national road to take over from the old National route through the City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh noes! Petition the government!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

the N25 is a primary route!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

merlante wrote: »
    Is Waterford the only local authority that does not have a single national primary route within it or running through it?
    You mean long distance traffic no longer needs to go through the city, leaving the streets for the residents and visitors? \o/

Is there anywhere else that has dual carriageway all but encircling the city (except for two sections of peninsula either side of an estuary)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Victor wrote: »
    You mean long distance traffic no longer needs to go through the city, leaving the streets for the residents and visitors? \o/

Is there anywhere else that has dual carriageway all but encircling the city (except for two sections of peninsula either side of an estuary)?

galway?

its not viewed as a dual carriageway more like a bohreen with a 60km limit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think a problem for the city is we HAVE a national primary route.

I read back a while in a local paper (I can't find the link) that we can't put a tonnage restriction on the quay as its part of the N25.

The reason this is an issue is because of the new bridge. It would be better for the city if all through traffic went over the new bridge. Juggernauts don't really add anything to the city centre, and if they are on the way to the industrial estate, they can use the new bridge, and go in the back way.

Unfortunately, by law we have to keep an untolled route through the city. This means we can't force the juggernauts to use the new bridge.

Hopefully sometime they will remove the toll, and the road from the Quay to Cork Rd will be just used for city business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

N25 is outside the city as far as I can see.

No need to lose ye're heads, just asking as a point of trivia more than anything else. Although, it would presumably be nice if the R710 (ORR) were taken over by the NRA and redesignated an N route, since it is well up to standard, and crucial for the city.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dayshah wrote: »
    Unfortunately, by law we have to keep an untolled route through the city. This means we can't force the juggernauts to use the new bridge.

They may have to yet force them though, the amount of trucks that are going through the city still is a joke....purely doing it to avoid the toll.

I'd imagine they could force them, sure didn't they force them to to it in Dublin

Hopefully sometime they will remove the toll, and the road from the Quay to Cork Rd will be just used for city business.

Yep when the contract is up ion about 30-35 years :)

merlante wrote: »
    N25 is outside the city as far as I can see.

No need to lose ye're heads, just asking as a point of trivia more than anything else. Although, it would presumably be nice if the R710 (ORR) were taken over by the NRA and redesignated an N route, since it is well up to standard, and crucial for the city.

My mistake, the N25 is now the new road, and the R680 seems to be the Cork Road (and maybe the Quay).

However my point about the tonnage restriction is true. We have to keep an toll free route through the city for big trucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,461 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think a problem for the city is we HAVE a national primary route.

I read back a while in a local paper (I can't find the link) that we can't put a tonnage restriction on the quay as its part of the N25.

The reason this is an issue is because of the new bridge. It would be better for the city if all through traffic went over the new bridge. Juggernauts don't really add anything to the city centre, and if they are on the way to the industrial estate, they can use the new bridge, and go in the back way.

I'm not so certain of this. Certainly Dublin city centre has tonnage limits in some areas and axel limits in a huge area from 7am-7pm.

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not so certain of this. Certainly Dublin city centre has tonnage limits in some areas and axel limits in a huge area from 7am-7pm.

Wasn't there an issue over the new speed limits in Dublin? Because O'Connell St is a national route that the 30 kmph didn't apply.

Wasn't there an issue over the new speed limits in Dublin? Because O'Connell St is a national route that the 30 kmph didn't apply.

err where did Victor mention anything about about speed limitis?
    He mentioned weight and axel restrictions which have existed for about a year (I think) before any of the recent speed restrictions which is a very seperate matter to trucks being allowed within Dublin city

Waterford could easily implement restrictions in relation to trucks entering the city that are not deliverying to the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Cabaal wrote: »
    err where did Victor mention anything about about speed limitis?
    He mentioned weight and axel restrictions which have existed for about a year (I think) before any of the recent speed restrictions which is a very seperate matter to trucks being allowed within Dublin city

Waterford could easily implement restrictions in relation to trucks entering the city that are not deliverying to the city

There are already tonnage restrictions in a number of places in Waterford, for example, no trucks over 3T may pass through Slievekeale, instead using Keane's Rd.

Or are we specifically discussing national routes?

gscully wrote: »
    There are already tonnage restrictions in a number of places in Waterford, for example, no trucks over 3T may pass through Slievekeale, instead using Keane's Rd.

Problem is many trucks that are not doing anything in Waterford (pick ups, deliverys etc) continue to use the quays as the main road to Cork when it no longer is,

The route they should take is the N25 and the N25 isn't via the quays anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Cabaal wrote: »
    Problem is many trucks that are not doing anything in Waterford (pick ups, deliverys etc) continue to use the quays as the main road to Cork when it no longer is,

The route they should take is the N25 and the N25 isn't via the quays anymore

I agree. We discussed this on the bypass thread a while back. I would like to see a height-restriction at the start of Rice Bridge to stop the large trucks coming in.

gscully wrote: »

You can pass through the city avoiding Slievekeale, so its not an issue there.

Some links:

This is the original article I was referring to:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2010/02/23/story32291.asp

This mentions the necessity of a toll-free route:
    http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,3601,en.PDF

We should be getting a weight restriction. yippee
    http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9348&Itemid=1&ed=893

None on the quay though :(

We should be getting a weight restriction. yippee
    http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9348&Itemid=1&ed=893

None on the quay though :(

In reality its not going to change anything though, trucks will continue to use the city :(

Advertisement