Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money spent teaching Irish at Second level

Options
  • 23-03-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place but does anybody have any idea how much money is spent on the teaching of Irish at second level, specifically in 5th and 6th year?
    Or where I could possibly find any information?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

That'd be a hard figure to find, and you probably won't get an answer for it anywhere. Not here anyway.

(I hope you're not looking to do some Gaeilge bashing btw:pac:, the poor language gets enough abuse!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Why? It wouldn't be any more than for Maths or English.

You'd have to add the amount of tuition hours required by the Dept. and multiply by an average hourly teaching rate. Then there are textbooks, tapes, exam papers, mock papers, corrections, state exam papers, state examiner's fee per script, state examiner's fee per oral student.... And that's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

E mail the dept!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

E mail the dept!
    I doubt that even they would have that information at the tips of their fingertips, and they have more useful things to be doing than trying to calculate it tbh ...

I doubt that even they would have that information at the tips of their fingertips, and they have more useful things to be doing than trying to calculate it tbh ...

They have a press department! contact them! thats their jobs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

They have a press department! contact them! thats their jobs!

No, that's not their job! The OP didn't mention s/he was a member of the press. Why would their job involve someone spending time calculating something that someone wants to know on a whim, that isn't important public information?

Anyway, I'd imagine they're on a work-to-rule and at the best of times, it can be difficult enough to get someone on the phone in the DES.

People spend a hell of a lot of time giving out about the public service - overpaid, overstaffed etc and you want to give them a little time-wasting project to do?!:rolleyes:

deemark wrote: »
    No, that's not their job! The OP didn't mention s/he was a member of the press. Why would their job involve someone spending time calculating something that someone wants to know on a whim, that isn't important public information?

Anyway, I'd imagine they're on a work-to-rule and at the best of times, it can be difficult enough to get someone on the phone in the DES.

People spend a hell of a lot of time giving out about the public service - overpaid, overstaffed etc and you want to give them a little time-wasting project to do?!:rolleyes:

Fair enough but they'd have some idea! im sure people have asked them that before!! they could tell you without much research!

Advertisement