Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choice Dilemna

Options
  • 23-03-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello there,

This is my first post here, so please be gentle : )

I am doing Transition Year at present, and am interested in doing a course somewhat involving Science in college, and I have picked Chemistry, French, Biology and History. Recently, I am re-considering doing History, and instead doing geography or agricultural science or accounting, which I might do outside of school anyway.

So, if you could please help me with 2 questions, I would be much obliged:

1) What do you think about History, Geography or Agricultural Science
    2) Is doing accounting with a teacher outside school on top of 7 other subjects (prob. all honours) and LCVP advisable?

Thanks a lot,

flee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hello there,

This is my first post here, so please be gentle : )

I am doing Transition Year at present, and am interested in doing a course somewhat involving Science in college, and I have picked Chemistry, French, Biology and History. Recently, I am re-considering doing History, and instead doing geography or agricultural science or accounting, which I might do outside of school anyway.

So, if you could please help me with 2 questions, I would be much obliged:

2) Is doing accounting with a teacher outside school on top of 7 other subjects (prob. all honours) and LCVP advisable?

Thanks a lot,

flee
    Hey flee, and welcome to the forum! :)

Bless you for launching in without the dreaded txtspk! Seriously! :D

re: Q 1., I would have a serious bias towards history, so I'm going to let others respond ... I would accept though that there is no scientific element to history, while both Geography and AgSci do have such elements.

re: Q 2., personally I would say "no", unless you have some definite reason for picking that subject ... e.g. keeping your options open, etc. In general, 7 Hons subjects at LC as well as LCVP is a heavy load in itself, and I would generally suggest maximising the time you spend on those subjects rather than taking on extra subjects and diluting your focus. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

The only warning I would give is that for some courses in certain colleges (eg. Medicine, which I know you didn't say you wanted, but it's science-y nonetheless) you cannot combine biology and agricultural science. They'll only accept the points of one of them.
    It's a bit like not being able to do either physics or chemistry with physics and chemistry.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's relevant to you, but I just thought I'd tell you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

Hey.
    I'm currently studying 8 subjects (all honours) for my leaving cert and I have to admit it's pretty tough. but then again, it really depends on the person. If you think you can handle spending hours of homework and studying everyday and also if you're good with balancing time, then go for it..
    If not, then I suggest you not to keep on a subject outside of school.
    7 is more than enough to be honest!

Regarding with History, Geog, and Ag. Science, I can't really say which is better since I don't study any of these. Again, it's really up to you.
    However, if I had to choose one, I think I'd choose Geography since I personally find it more interesting and also I've heard that it is a good subject for points..not too sure whether that's true though so don't count on it... :/

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck with choosing the subjects! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

My friend is doing nine honours, and one common (LCVP), and tbh, he said he isnt finding it that stressful, however, my friend has a photographic memory or something? basically hes like a sponge, tell him something once and he'll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

My friend is doing nine honours, and one common (LCVP), and tbh, he said he isnt finding it that stressful, however, my friend has a photographic memory or something? basically hes like a sponge, tell him something once and he'll never forget.
    Handy for LC, not so handy the day after the night before ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 elarkla

I do History, Geography and Accounting, hope this helps:
    History: v. time consuming as you have to submit a well-researched project. It is interesting but most of the course is essay-based (which I find a pain...)
    Geography: easy enough to understand and not as time consuming. Interesting enough too!
    Accounting: love it! Hardly any learning, you just need a bit of an aptitude for it. You can get by without much study.

Hope this was helpful! ;)

I do History, and while it is a very interesting course it's also very long, so that may make studying it as well as an extra subject quite time consuming. I do 2 sciences, so it's nice to have it as a break from my sciencey subjects. If you have a good teacher and don't mind writing lots and lots of essays History is a great choice. I don't do the other subjects you mentioned but there's my 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I have heard off people that do history and who got high marks in the JC that it is hard but very long. I do Geography and there is a slight bit of science in it but it is not a particularly long course, it is also one of the easier exams to pick aswell but answers like every subject have to be in great detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

Wow...Thank you all for your helpful replies!

I think I'll stick with History, and perhaps do pass Irish if I take up accounting.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Wouldnt advise doing accounting outside school.

HAvent read all the posts but surely someone has told you off for wanting to do 8 subjects.. if your smart enough fair enough but if you are then LCVP is a waste of time! only do that if you cant get a B in a subject!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickortreat

history is a very long course, it is a great subject, but there is alot to it.
    im doing my lc this year and i chose to do history, chemistry, biology,and art but because each course is significantly long plus there is a project for it, i decided to drop history, even though it was my favourite subject for junior cert, i dont regret it, but it really does depend on the person and what your heading for, and since you want to go into the science field id defintly do biology and chemistry, ( im not sure about physics).

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Geography hands down
    I did some subject sampling in TY and geography was easiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 trickortreat

some people have all the luck.... :D

Advertisement