Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Driving through the UK

• 23-03-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

Just looking for Advice.
    In April I intend to Travel on a Friday after work from Work In South Dublin by Boat to London ( SW3 2SE ).
    And then Back the Following Tuesday to Athy.
    On my Deauville.
    Now I have a few options.
    Boat from Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead or Boat from Rosslare to Pembrook/Fishguard.

Not sure if I should go from Holyhead seen as it is down the road, or go from Rosslare as its close to London.
    Dont mind spending the extra 10 euro each way on the fast Ferry.
    But Ive never been out of the country on the Bike.
    Has anybody ever done the trip before.
    and has anybody any tips, routes to take, boats ( companies ) to stay away from, places to stop for a coffee and a biscuit.

Work finishes at 5 on the friday and will most likely want to get home in the evening on the tuesday so an afternoon sail would be better, as ill be back in work the next day.

cheers for your help.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

You might get more responses in the motorbikes section.

My 2c.

I picked up a bike in the UK (in southhampton) two years back, I went home via holyhead, the primary reason was times of sailings, there were fewer sailings from pembroke than from holyhead which gave me flexibility should I need it.

With the great roads in the UK, you'll do London fairly quickly on the motorway from either place, but since you're on the bike you'll probably want to take the back roads, so go for holyhead and take the backroads through the mountains in wales -- an awesome (if cold ride).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'd either go Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead return or Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead out and Pembroke/Fishguard to Rosslare back.

Pembroke/Fishguard might be closer to London, but the difference isn't anywhere as near as much as the journey Dublin down to Rosslare.

Just take the quickest route unless you've got bags of time on your hands. I wouldn't go round the M25 from the M1, straight down to the North Circular Road (A406) and round that way. Reason being, I I've just looked it up and it they don't charge for the Dartford crossings - when did that happen?:eek: B*****ds used to charge for motorcycles.

Aye, go either M25 or North Circ to Blackheath. Might be easier going round the Circular, there's a few cameras but I wouldn't worry about popping flashbulbs on non-UK plates yet. But don't take the pee as a traffic car might give you a tug and then it's "a deposit".

In terms of MSAs (motorway service areas) I personal go for Welcome Breaks or Motos as I've no time for RoadChefthief.

Anyway, might I ask why this ended up in Motors rather than Motorbikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I presume you want this to be in the motorbikes forum? If not i can move it back, but it's more suited here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭rameire

I placed it in the Motors forum, as I suspect there would be more people who would have done the journey by car.
    Thus they would be able to advise on the route and stop off points.
    Thanks for your replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

macplaxton wrote: »
    Anyway, might I ask why this ended up in Motors rather than Motorbikes?

- it will get more route repies in Motor
    - more people will have driven the route and will be able to give advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭rameire

Ok to make it more universal Ive changed the title.
    Maybe it could be placed back in the motors, if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rameire wrote: »
    Ok to make it more universal Ive changed the title.
    Maybe it could be placed back in the motors, if possible.

Back to where we started:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Holyhead would be the shorter route for you and then head towards London on the M40 from the birmingham area. then M25 around to SW3 which should be either the M3 or A3 turnings I should think. M25 is the busiest Mway in the galaxy not that it should bother a biker too much.

Alternative if you go via Rosslare would be to come off the m4 at junction 10 (Reading east)and take the A329(M) via Bracknell and which crosses both the M3 and A3 and misses the busy heathrow bit of the M25

Advertisement