Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uk delivery!!?

• 23-03-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭

Just bought a part from a uk 4x4 parts provider. Its a replacement mirror for a wing mirror. As in; a replacement for a smashed mirror.
    £21, which isn't bad. By the time i'd finished the transaction the bill was £37?:rolleyes:

Things they don't mention in the part description; VAT (£5, thats a sneaky one) & the ridiculous delivery fee. Obviously i knew there would be some sort of postage fee but £10.99 (12.25euro) to send a tiny sheet of mirror in a padded envelope across the irish sea???:eek: Is it being flown over in a private jet or something!

I know nobody was forcing me to buy from them but i couldn't find this item anywhere else so it was kinda, buy from us or do without.

MODS; i thought i was in the motors section, sorry please feel free to move this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You sound like my granny giving out about price of steradent in the local shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

What a great one liner! You look like her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to Motors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You look like her.

That's because I'm your ould lad.......... Luke.

mikom wrote: »
    That's because I'm your ould lad.......... Luke.

You wish sweetheart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What's the car?

What's the car?

Toyota hilux surf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

It's probably a minimum shipping charge. We ship to the UK every day - standard charge, regardless of size, is £9.95 + VAT. Sure, for small orders some might think it a little expensive, but we don't treat small orders any different to large when it comes to shipping - there's just no profit in doing so.

It sounds like you're dealing with a company that normally sells business to business, in which case your small order is almost inconsequential. For them to pack your item differently would probably require more work than the sale warrants.

What you should really be upset about is that you can't buy this item online in Ireland for a decent price. I bought a new camera from Amazon this week because it was €20 cheaper than the same camera (incl. shipping) from Elara.ie. I want to buy Irish, but for what was a €70 (instead of €90) camera, these guys don't make it easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I just bought a wiper motor & linkage off a UK parts dealer for €40 + €20 P&P.

I would have cost €200 new or €100 from a scrap yard so even after postage I'm saving €40.

Depending on the parts size and weight I'm not surprised too much by these charges.

It's probably a minimum shipping charge. We ship to the UK every day - standard charge, regardless of size, is £9.95 + VAT. Sure, for small orders some might think it a little expensive, but we don't treat small orders any different to large when it comes to shipping - there's just no profit in doing so.

It sounds like you're dealing with a company that normally sells business to business, in which case your small order is almost inconsequential. For them to pack your item differently would probably require more work than the sale warrants.

What you should really be upset about is that you can't buy this item online in Ireland for a decent price. I bought a new camera from Amazon this week because it was €20 cheaper than the same camera (incl. shipping) from Elara.ie. I want to buy Irish, but for what was a €70 (instead of €90) camera, these guys don't make it easy.

Yeah i know what your saying but honestly its an item that would easily fit into an regular padded A4 envelope worth a euro.
    They're a decent company but they know how to charge thats for sure.

I agree with you on the last point. Apart from replacement air/oil filters anything i have ever needed for the last few cars ive owned has had to be delivered from the uk.
    I want to support our indigenous companies but they either don't stock what i'm looking for or they're looking for silly money for the item.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Did you not ask how much p&p was going to be before ordering?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did you not ask how much p&p was going to be before ordering?

I didn't, it was all done online. Its fair enough there wasn't a gone to my head to complete the transaction. I just think its a little sneaky that when i found the part i was looking for the price that was to the left of the description wasn't really the price at all.
    They leave out the VAT knowing fine well that by the time you see the correct price most people just think feck it i'l get it anyway. And then P&P price pops up!
    I'l get over it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Not to worry, it's a lesson learned. P&P is something to always check before ordering anything online, as there's rarely any rhyme or reason to how it's calculated. But sure you know that now.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I didn't, it was all done online. Its fair enough there wasn't a gone to my head to complete the transaction. I just think its a little sneaky that when i found the part i was looking for the price that was to the left of the description wasn't really the price at all.
    They leave out the VAT knowing fine well that by the time you see the correct price most people just think feck it i'l get it anyway. And then P&P price pops up!
    I'l get over it.:)

No - they leave the VAT off as trade buyers need to know the net price. Also some parts don't have VAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Also, if your primary market / customer base is trade you don't have to include VAT in the quoted item price. It's only necessary to include VAT if your main market is the general public.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Also, if your primary market / customer base is trade you don't have to include VAT in the quoted item price. It's only necessary to include VAT if your main market is the general public.

The company i dealt with probably gets 80% of their business from non-trade sales so i don't think concealing the VAT charge is justified.
    Thats a guess but judging by their prices i doubt its popular with trades people.
    Even pre-VAT they're not exactly cheap.

Advertisement