Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to pay Credit Union Loan

Options
  • 23-03-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

On the question of Credit Unions, can anyone tell me what you can/should do when you just cannot meet your CU weekly payments. I am a retired pensioner and I am struggling to make €170 weekly payments to my Credit Union.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Post moved to it's own thread.

OP, the first thing you need to do is call into your CU and advise them that you are struggling. They may be able to reduce the payments for a while until you get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Got into difficulty with my Credit Union regarding arrears about 10 years ago.
    Obviously I approached the manager and explained my circumstances. I was very fortunate to meet a decent human being who had a conscience,he deferred my payments (not interest) until I got myself sorted out.
    OP approach them, get to them first and you'll give yourself way more "leverage".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

170 p.w :eek:

Is the old age pension the only income you've got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

Yes. Having had to retire from my job, through ill health my only income is my pension. I am considdering equity release on my home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 DLohan

Yes. Having had to retire from my job, through ill health my only income is my pension. I am considdering equity release on my home

Be very careful about how you do that. If you sell your house now you will get (if you sell) less than it was worth some time ago.

There are other schemes that pay you now and you leave your house to them. I would be extremely careful about entertaining any such notions. Your best bet is to go back to the Credit Union and advise them of your position. Be business like - remember it is not a huge amount of money and you intend to pay it back. All you want is more time and their assistance. Given the present environment it is very understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

That will very expensive for you with property prices as they are. Could you sell up and move to a smaller place and use the extra to pay off the loan? Might leave you with some cash as well. You can get a decent 2 bed apt for quite a small amount of money these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Sidetracker

DLohan wrote: »
    Be very careful about how you do that. If you sell your house now you will get (if you sell) less than it was worth some time ago.

There are other schemes that pay you now and you leave your house to them. I would be extremely careful about entertaining any such notions. Your best bet is to go back to the Credit Union and advise them of your position. Be business like - remember it is not a huge amount of money and you intend to pay it back. All you want is more time and their assistance. Given the present environment it is very understandable.

I have been successful in reaching moratoiium agreements with my other creditors, who have frozen all payments inc. intrest, but CU is a different kettle of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Have you approached them yet? I found my credit union to be quite helpful when I was in difficulties, they switched me to interest only for a good few months, it really helped me to get out of a hole.

It's always better to approach them first. Hope you get on well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

DLohan wrote: »

The chap has SFA all options with a loan @ 170 p.w bar remortgage / sell the house. And even at that no bank would touch a remortgage with all the debt he has out there. A loan of 170 p.w is huge money....

Advertisement