Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram ram ram?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

My first question in this fourm so thought I ask the experts here. I want to upgrade my ram from 2 gig to 4gig and is it possible due to the spec of my computer.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 531
    Chip: AMD Athlon (tn) 64x Dual core processor 5800+
    Ram: 2x 1Gig(DDR2)
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro

Using CPUID I got the following information

Max Bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333Mhz)

So was wandering would these do the job? http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_DDR2_PC2_5300_Team_Elite-5_5_5_15-Dual_Channel_kit/index.html

Im using my pc for mostly photoshop/music/movies

Thanks in advance
    Jon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Howdy. The Crucial memory tool reckons you can install up to 4GB in that pc. And it says it can take either PC2-5300 or PC2-6400. What operating system are you using?

EDIT: The Crucial memory tool, and memory scanner, can be found here btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Im running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

Would moving from PC2-5300 to PC2-6400 make a difference?

Also should my pc be able to run 64bit windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

jonon9 wrote: »
    Im running Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

Would moving from PC2-5300 to PC2-6400 make a difference?

Also should my pc be able to run 64bit windows 7

Even with the 2GB it will run fine :)

Moving up in speeds wont really make a difference in the real world,only in benchmarks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Thanks for the info people, was just looking at ram cards to buy and a few question came to mind it says in crucial memory that i should only put 1gig of ram per slot which means I have to buy 2 x 1gig ram cards and also can you mix match pc2 5300 and 6400 ram cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i think you can but it will underclock so the 6400 will only run at the 333 mhz also try upgrade to win 7 64 bit so you get to use all 4gigs of ram

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

jonon9 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info people, was just looking at ram cards to buy and a few question came to mind it says in crucial memory that i should only put 1gig of ram per slot which means I have to buy 2 x 1gig ram cards and also can you mix match pc2 5300 and 6400 ram cards?

Just to confirm, you can mix and match speeds, but the sticks will run at the slowest sticks speed

Also,dont mean to nit pick, but the correct term for them is ''stick'' of ram,not ''cards''....just in case you go to a brick and mortar store to get new ram :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mungrus

I have a hp compaq d330 dt

Windows xp

2.2ghz and only 512mb ram

what ram do i need to upgrade someone in the shop said i need pc 133 ram but i dont understand the difference between pc 133 and ddr

can anyone help please!!!

Advertisement