Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

haunted hotel?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I just heard from someone I know well, who stayed in Sligo town recently, and who had a strange feeling in the room of the hotel whos name I wont mention. Is there any history of there being sightings or strange experiences in any hotels in Sligo? Or is there one in particular that there has been reports of supernatural activity. I googled the hotel and the word haunted after it, and there was two different people who had posted their experiences of the same hotel being haunted...
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Not difficult to guess which one you're referring to OP, given its history.

Personally I think it's rubbish, but I don't believe in ghosts so I would :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

could said hotel be built on site of and/or refubished psychratric hospital, if so have heard such rumour as well

mods delete if inappropiate

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Fortunately the dead can't harm us, it's the hoors that are alive we all need to watch. I stayed in this well known location once myself, lovely big room, very clean and slept like a log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

yep, thats the hotel alright... I stayed in twice also, and slept like a log... I had a bit of help from the bar though. The room in question is on the 2nd floor... although Id say there'd be a few specters in that place, gives a whole new meaning to the term 'zombie hotels'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Have you considered that any unease your friend felt may have been caused by internal, rather than external factors?

For a hotel of its size, only two online reports is insignificant. The ghosts must be quite introverted.

• Advertisement

there are 4 online reports, I know this is still not concrete evidence of anything
    here are the link (although these could have been manufactured by anyone, I know)

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186635-d553661-r6013570-Clarion_Hotel_Sligo-Sligo_County_Sligo.html#UR6013570

"Spooky nights
    I stayed in room 3145 with my husband from the 7th to the 9th of february and had very spooky experience on two of the nights we stayed. We both went to bed around 11:30 and i was awoken at 3:30 with a terrbile feeling something bad had happened in the room in the past, it was so unnerving i had to get up and turn the light on to try and get back to sleep and then had to have it on for the next two nights to get to sleep. On the second night we see we were both awoken at 3:30 again with the sound of music , which sounded like slient night being played on a tin whistle bit we could not hear no voices. Other than this we had a great time and the hotel was very clean and the staff were very pleasent and helpful. I would return to stay here again."

I cant find the other 2, but I will tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

What information are you trying to gather from the thread. I see no purpose of it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think it's an interesting thread, would like to know if anyone here has any spooky experiences.

Maybe the thread title should be changed to Spooky Sligo. There is meant to be a haunted house in Strandhill, I've read about it online. I don't know where exactly it is though.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    What information are you trying to gather from the thread. I see no purpose of it at the moment.

I don't understand your question... I am not trying to gather information 'from the thread' as you say.... its a s simple as this, someone close to me had a strange experience in that hotel. This person is a supernatural skeptic. I have never known her to show the remotest interest in ghost stories etc. I myself have an open mind, I just find it interesting that there have been other people who have decided to share their experiences online regarding the same thing.... now, care to explain what your question means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

My sister and the Bro in Laww stayed in this establishment a few years ago.

He had the cheese plate just before bed and had some strange dreams including one where he thought there were epople passing through the room while he slept.
    Sister thought it was grand, though when I told her about it's history, she told me to shut up as she had to stay another night in it!

Had a cousin work there as a QS when it was being done up and it gave him the heebeegeebees and he's a tough enough nut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

magnumlady wrote: »
    Maybe the thread title should be changed to Spooky Sligo. There is meant to be a haunted house in Strandhill, I've read about it online. I don't know where exactly it is though.
    http://www.abandonedireland.com/Seafield_1.html

Best story I heard about the hotel from a guy who was having a lunch meeting with a client there. As they walked in the guys says I" always get a shiver walking in as I used to be a porter here when I was a young lad, saw some strange things".
    His client's response "I know what you mean I always get a shiver too. I used to be a patient here".

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gkelly88

Friends of the family stayed there recently when they came up for a party and their children were seriously disturbed by what went on during the night. A friend of mine works there and awhole section of rooms have had to be closed because of reports from guests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

its usually the last desperate attempt to revive a dying hotel - claim its haunted. Boring, cliched and pretty sad actually.

http://www.hauntedhotelguide.com/

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

its usually the last desperate attempt to revive a dying hotel - claim its haunted. Boring, cliched and pretty sad actually.

http://www.hauntedhotelguide.com/

:rolleyes:

There probably is a niche market there alright but I'm not aware of any hotels in Sligo actually claiming to be haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Is there an extra charge for the ghost?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

replace "alien" with "ghost"

the_flake_equation.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

my grandmother used to be a nurse there. she used to tell some horror stories about the place i can tell ya so it's no wonder people get an eerie feeling from the place.

must point out though that while i don't believe in ghosts per se - i do believe in ''latent energy'' or whatever ya'd call it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My boyfriend and I went for a spin up there one night when it was being renovated ... there was a weird thing, where we saw these bizzare lights appearing in a pattern, in just two rooms, one in the hotel and the other in the little chapel beside it. Hard to describe really, we were both a bit freaked out though.

I'm not really into ghosts and hauntings and all that jazz, but if there were ever a place in Sligo that might be haunted, that would have to be it, given the history etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

This thread is interesting I recall my boyfriend once telling me about a time himself and a gang youngfellas going in there to explore either before or during its renovation. For no particular reason some of them got very 'freaked out' and wanted to leave staight away. And this would have been very uncharacteristic for this group of teenagers. I don't know about haunted but I suppose given its history, the architecture, I don't know, it just gives off a bad vibe. Some places are just like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is interesting. A good friend of mine stayed in this hotel(if it's the one I think it is) last year and he said his room was freezing cold, even though it wasn't a cold night outside. He had a night of poor sleep.

I'm sure the hotel in question wouldn't want the publicity - or meybe they would?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

90% of the stories posted so far have just been "bad feelings" and "eerie vibes" -- why do people think these are paranormal? :confused:

Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Dave! wrote: »
    90% of the stories posted so far have just been "bad feelings" and "eerie vibes" -- why do people think these are paranormal? :confused:

Bizarre
    totally agree most of these bad feelings is the fear that there might be something there can hurt you but in fairness very very rare cases of anything actually confirmed as paranormal beings of a higher dimension wouldnt want to be stuck round us i wouldnt tink lol ..when i was younger i used to think there was a ghost in my house but i later learned it was me being paranoid sorry if i offended people but i dont believe ghosts/spirits interact with us 3D beings !!!:P:P:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

rh5555 wrote: »
    Is there an extra charge for the ghost?:)

haha good one i think he payed already and is in the room spying on some peoople !!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Dave! wrote: »

Bizarre

I wasn't trying to explain it as 'paranormal' I just thought it was interesting that the one place could evoke such similar feelings/vibes in so many different, unrelated people. I don't think anyone here is taking it too seriously it's just a bit of fun :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Seafield_1.html

Best story I heard about the hotel from a guy who was having a lunch meeting with a client there. As they walked in the guys says I" always get a shiver walking in as I used to be a porter here when I was a young lad, saw some strange things".
    His client's response "I know what you mean I always get a shiver too. I used to be a patient here".
    Where is that house?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

no suchy thing as ghosts

greetings I'm not 100% but think its on the road from strandhill to ransboro but not sure where. I had easky in my head but was told the above. It must not be visible from the main road or I would have seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

greetings wrote: »
    Where is that house?

That's what I wondered, I know it's in Strandhill somewhere but that's all I know.

could be a ghost house that only appears sometime !!! Be afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

greetings I'm not 100% but think its on the road from strandhill to ransboro but not sure where. I had easky in my head but was told the above. It must not be visible from the main road or I would have seen it.
    Hmm I live in ransboro and can't seem to recognise it at all.

Advertisement