Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free kick taking keepers

• 23-03-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Are there any of these at any European clubs? You always see them in highlights of south american club football.

I'd love to see some premiership team delegate free kicks to a keeper, it could add a bit of excitement to otherwise dull matches like stoke vs blackburn etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No not at European clubs really. Hans Jorg Butt takes some of Bayern's penalties though.

Rogerio Ceni at Sao Paulo is still playing i think, not sure if he is still curling the frees in. The other one i remember is Jose Luis Chilavert, that absolutely mental keeper with the bulldog on his jersey, he scored on in a World Cup didnt he? France 98?
    Ceni:

Chilavert:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Chilavert of Paraguay was one of the very best at taking free kicks. Had a fairly good record too

*Bah beaten too it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

José Luis Chilavert played in Europe, for Strasbourg I think.

Claudio Bravo is currently at Real Sociedad and scored this a few weeks ago.

Both those are South American, of course.

I recall Dan Connor scoring a penalty for Waterford United in a cup semi (during the game) a few year's back. That's the closest I can think of.

Didn't Paul Robinson score from a free against Watford a while ago? I know it was a VERY long distance one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

José Luis Chilavert played in Europe, for Strasbourg I think.

Played his best football in South America though (had to look it up, Velez Sarsfield apparently). During the 90s he was probably the worlds best shot stopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Didn't Paul Robinson score from a free against Watford a while ago? I know it was a VERY long distance one.

:pac:

Don't think frees inside his own box count.

• Advertisement
Advertisement