Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avensis Petrol vs Diesel

• 23-03-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a new Avensis. I see that there is very little difference between the price of the 1.6 Aura petrol and the 2.0 Aura diesel. Car Tax is lower on the diesel.

Have never had a diesel before so hope this is not a daft question. Any advice as to which is the better buy? Main use would be as a family car, do not do huge mileage, maybe 15k kilometers per annum.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Diesel. Cheaper to run, cheaper to tax, Not much more to buy & will be worth more when you are finished with it.

Only down side is that some people dont like diesel engines but I will make a wild quess & say that you arent into engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Has to be diesel. The only reason to buy a petrol avensis would be if it was way cheaper. Diesel will give you way more power, fuel economy, driving pleasure and resale value. I have driven the older version of the avensis in 1.8l petrol and its useless. Can only imagine a 1.6 would be even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Iv brought both Car's down from Dublin to a show room in Waterford and the diesel has it by a country mile cost less to run and is somehow more comfy :D get the one with the extra's pack it has a cool sat nav built in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

mickdw wrote: »
    Only down side is that some people dont like diesel engines but I will make a wild quess & say that you arent into engines.

As long as it has an engine in it!!! :)

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

LSLFAN wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a new Avensis

:eek::eek:

Anyway, Diesel FTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

OP do your friends and anyone that has to travel with you ever and most of all yourself a big favour and don't buy an Avensis.

When there is such talent like the Insignia, Mondeo and Superb plus so much more why choose something as middle of the road as the Avensis?

The only reason why you would choose an Avensis is because you're from the "I've always had a Toyota and it's never let me down" i.e. the delusional, lack of ability to think for yourself brigade(sorry if this comes across as demeaning but Toyota buyers never consider anything else in my experience) who is buying a Toyota on past reliability glories(no longer true as the recent scandals show), or you're being sponsored by Toyota Ireland to own one.

Why settle for a car that feels like it was designed by schoolchildren on a bus such is the lack of effort at making it anyway decent when there is so much better out there? There are cars the same price as the Toyota that are better than the likes of BMW's and Merc's, the Toyota is worse than many Korean cars it is that poor.

They are a really poor car, nasty plastics(you'd find better in sub 10k new cars these days), incredibly dull interior(and exterior), poor ride comfort, it looks American and no doubt being a Toyota it will be soul destroying to drive.

If you're like the typical Toyota buyer who views cars as moving devices and just want that 10 reg Avensis then make sure you buy the diesel, I can't think of any reason not to apart from the Dual Mass Flywheel that affects all diesels with a manual gearbox, and get the Strata spec, they have a lot of useful extras and will be more desirable secondhand.

Plus it will be a less miserable ownership experience:)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The materials in the new model cabin are really good, lots of soft touch plastics, and they're decent enough to drive too.

Only gripe I'd have is the electric handbrake which takes a little too long to engage for my liking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

OP do your friends and anyone that has to travel with you ever and most of all yourself a big favour and don't buy an Avensis.

When there is such talent like the Insignia, Mondeo and Superb plus so much more why choose something as middle of the road as the Avensis?

The only reason why you would choose an Avensis is because you're from the "I've always had a Toyota and it's never let me down" i.e. the delusional, lack of ability to think for yourself brigade(sorry if this comes across as demeaning but Toyota buyers never consider anything else in my experience) who is buying a Toyota on past reliability glories(no longer true as the recent scandals show), or you're being sponsored by Toyota Ireland to own one.

Why settle for a car that feels like it was designed by schoolchildren on a bus such is the lack of effort at making it anyway decent when there is so much better out there? There are cars the same price as the Toyota that are better than the likes of BMW's and Merc's, the Toyota is worse than many Korean cars it is that poor.

They are a really poor car, nasty plastics(you'd find better in sub 10k new cars these days), incredibly dull interior(and exterior), poor ride comfort, it looks American and no doubt being a Toyota it will be soul destroying to drive.

If you're like the typical Toyota buyer who views cars as moving devices and just want that 10 reg Avensis then make sure you buy the diesel, I can't think of any reason not to apart from the Dual Mass Flywheel that affects all diesels with a manual gearbox, and get the Strata spec, they have a lot of useful extras and will be more desirable secondhand.

Plus it will be a less miserable ownership experience!

Man, your heavy bias renders your points useless, if you can drop the anecdotal comments and construct a logical post maybe you're a chance, the OP's dictum was Avensis Petrol V's Diesel, not a rant.
    Someone who puts a negative Toyota comment in their signature like yours is blinded.

OP, I agree with all posts, even though I am happy with my petrol because it's just a short run to work for me mostly and a diesel did not make sense when I purchased.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

Guys, thanks to you all for the comments, all are welcome.

Captainspeed - I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned too, thank you. I currently have a 1.6 Petrol Avensis
    (2006), it was the first Toyota that I ever bought, rest of the time it was Opel and Renault. All of these were fairly ordinary family cars.

I have been happy enough with the Avensis - its suited the family, been pretty reliable, nice enough to drive and an excellent local dealer. Not very glamorous but suited my needs. I would have no problem trying them again but will look at your suggestions too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Of that choice - diesel. No contest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Plus it will be a less miserable ownership experience:)!

Did Toyota do something to you :O i bet you have not even drove either diesel or petrol version of the new avensis,especially if you think the interior is dull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

veetwin wrote: »
    I have driven the older version of the avensis in 1.8l petrol and its useless. Can only imagine a 1.6 would be even worse.

The 1.6 is indeed awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the new 1.6 Valvematic is decent. has 128hp and a six speed box. Diesel is still the one to get given that they're practically the same price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The materials in the new model cabin are really good, lots of soft touch plastics, and they're decent enough to drive too.

Only gripe I'd have is the electric handbrake which takes a little too long to engage for my liking.

I disagree, one of the first things that struck me when I sat in it and had a prod around was how cheap it felt. The interior light switches feel very brittle for example. The plastics in general feel similarly cheaply built. It's as if Toyota knew it couldn't build an interior as nice as the other makes and decided that they couldn't be arsed making an effort. I was actually quite surprised because the new model feels built to a lower standard than the old one inside. The seats are the type where you have to use your body weight to adjust them, the old model had a ratchet lever which meant it was very easy to set up the seats properly.
    slave1 wrote: »
    Man, your heavy bias renders your points useless, if you can drop the anecdotal comments and construct a logical post maybe you're a chance, the OP's dictum was Avensis Petrol V's Diesel, not a rant.

Says he who's got one and is trying to sell his one! You're hardly any more impartial than I am:);)!
    LSLFAN wrote: »
    Captainspeed - I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned too, thank you. I currently have a 1.6 Petrol Avensis
    (2006), it was the first Toyota that I ever bought, rest of the time it was Opel and Renault. All of these were fairly ordinary family cars.

That was then, this is now:)!

Opels have come on a huge way in recent years, if you haven't been in one in the past few years you'll be pleasently surprised.

The Vectra was always a below average car, the 2nd generation(late 90s-early noughties one) in particular was awful.

Trust me though the Insignia is as different to the Vectra as the name suggests. The only thing common with a Vectra is it's made by Opel;).
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    the new 1.6 Valvematic is decent. has 128hp and a six speed box. Diesel is still the one to get given that they're practically the same price

128 is very good for a 1.6, is it turbo'd, it seems quite high for a run of the mill NA engine?

Advertisement