Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New - Dublin 10km. 25th July

• 23-03-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

A new 10km in Dublin starting and finishing in Parkwest Business Park. Taking in the newly paved Grand Canal en route.

Very flat and fast. Entries limited to 1,000

www.dublin10km.com

In association with Dublin Frontrunners AC

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 16 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    18%
    xebecmenoscemoDonny5 3 votes
    3 stars (average)
    68%
    Eire Go BrachStupid_Privatesarsfieldsrocktunguskaoptimistic_monkeypantsLotsafishOIdoor handlesEdMosesAquals 11 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    12%
    W123-80'sBigAl81 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

25yoyo's???:mad::mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Starts literally around the corner from me. Didn't see the entry price though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    25yoyo's???:mad::mad:

+1 especially for the rubbish prizepools €120 top prize and only one group over 35 with a €50 first prize :rolleyes: (not that I would be wining anything but still...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can you get cheaper entry without the technical T-shirt? I could be interested then.

Off-topic: I work in the area now. What's it like to run along that section of the Grand Canal? It seems to be closed/sectioned off most days for works. Can you run it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Can you get cheaper entry without the technical T-shirt? I could be interested then.

Off-topic: I work in the area now. What's it like to run along that section of the Grand Canal? It seems to be closed/sectioned off most days for works. Can you run it?

Yeah the blessington 10k did a seperate price without the tech t-shirt. Went down well.

• Advertisement

I don't think the work is finished yet further down the line which is why it's still all closed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Quote from their website is that the race "takes you along the newly paved Grand Canal" Generally running on paving is not ideal. Anyone who is familiar with the route have any thoughts on this?

Have to add my displeasure to the €25 entry fee - too much IMHO. Also no mention of this price until you go into Activeeurope.com.:(

To be fair, it does specify the entry cost on the [Entry] page:
    Entry fee is €25 – Closing date for online entry is 23rd July. €30 on the day.

It doesn't look like paving. It looks more like a bike track type surface. It's only around 3 kms of the course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

It doesn't look like paving. It looks more like a bike track type surface. It's only around 3 kms of the course though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry my definition is wrong - it is a cycling/ running track type surface. It will be closed for sometime yet too. There is a big renovation job happening

I will look into the Technical T-shirts but can't make any promises - I think the order has already been processed. Can't get through to the agent :(

Thanks for feedback.

geld wrote: »
    Quote from their website is that the race "takes you along the newly paved Grand Canal" Generally running on paving is not ideal. Anyone who is familiar with the route have any thoughts on this?

Have to add my displeasure to the €25 entry fee - too much IMHO. Also no mention of this price until you go into Activeeurope.com.:(

Active europe fees also bring the price up to nearly €27 aswell. It's not going to be the most scenic route but it'll be fairly flat, looks a good route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

I ran along the water bank on monday very nice. Its a hard fast run. The loop has a good hill in it. But i wont pay 25 euro for it. 10K for €25 come on now lads. This is outside my house so make it a wee bit cheeper!

Ta

interesting. Where is the hill??

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/baile%20%c1tha%20cliath/644126608842715723

Map my run says she's pretty flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Now, what we need here is a definition of a hill! :D

There is a 50m climb from the start to the 1.5 mile marker alright! However it is relatively all downhill untill approx the 5 mile mark where it rises a bit to the finish.

At 3 minute kilometres every incline is like everest. :pac:

To mark the debut of the Waterways Ireland Park West Dublin 10km

From the 16th of April to the 30th of April the Entry fee will be €20

Pass it on (if you will) to anyone who might be interested.....

www.dublin10km.com

Then it returns to €25
    Entry on the day is €30

I was going to apply today. I think I'll wait so. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Nice one Eoin and I see you're looking after those who already entered. Thanks;)

4 stars (good)
    eoin ryan wrote: »
    To mark the debut of the Waterways Ireland Park West Dublin 10km

From the 16th of April to the 30th of April the Entry fee will be €20

Pass it on (if you will) to anyone who might be interested.....

www.dublin10km.com

Then it returns to €25
    Entry on the day is €30

Fook! another bloody race I'll have to do so. I'll have no time for training....

I was going to apply today. I think I'll wait so. :pac:

Darn it! only messing...

Part of the run route has opened along the Grand Canal.....

Check out picture Grand Canal Tow Path Clondalkin 1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dunphyp

I'm in. I live in the area and the canals are fab! Just did the Phoenix Park run and loved it :D:D:D

good to see the intro price. Its only 2 mins from my house ..
    Ill be doing it :D

Reminder that the entry fee goes up on the 30th of April to €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

rdunne wrote: »
    good to see the intro price. Its only 2 mins from my house ..
    Ill be doing it :D
    You must live about 5 mins from my house then;)

4 stars (good)
    shels4ever wrote: »
    You must live about 5 mins from my house then;)

Yis all must live under or over me

Didn't realise how close some of you live to me. We could probably get some good group runs going up here.

DO we all live in the same house?
    I was wondering what that noise was...

4 stars (good)
    Didn't realise how close some of you live to me. We could probably get some good group runs going up here.

Yeah no worries. I actually own one of them appartments at Parkwest business centre. I am moving back there on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

3 stars (average)
    Gonna sign up for this tomorrow, gives me a goal.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    OI wrote: »
    Gonna sign up for this tomorrow, gives me a goal.

Just signed up there myself, so see you there. If you are up early you cna come up to mine for a cup of tea. My appartment is literlly looking at the finish line.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah no worries. I actually own one of them appartments at Parkwest business centre. I am moving back there on saturday.

I know who I'm scabbing lifts off for races now in future. :D

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Just signed up there myself, so see you there. If you are up early you cna come up to mine for a cup of tea. My appartment is literlly looking at the finish line.

you're on meno

3 stars (average)
    OI wrote: »
    you're on meno

I'm in, here we go again, The Matrix Reloaded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Whats the Canal liek to run in general, is it safe on your own?

Hmmm.... No one is going to stick their neck out and say 'Sure 100%'.
    No place is 100% safe to run on your I guess. On the plus you don't have traffic to deal with :)

In saying that I have run every bit of the Royal and Grand canal and i didn't encounter any funny business

Reminder that the entry fee goes up to €25 at midnight tomorrow

• Advertisement

The course has been changed for the better... There is now more running in Park West. new route below http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/dublin/397127349159598598

We've incorporated (one of) the award winning sections within Park West. Lots of fountains and interesting architecture to take your mind of the business at hand! :)

More stuff to announce soon...

4 stars (good)
    The course has been changed for the better... There is now more running in Park West. new route below http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/dublin/397127349159598598

We've incorporated (one of) the award winning sections within Park West. Lots of fountains and interesting architecture to take your mind of the business at hand! :)

More stuff to announce soon...

That clears up a few of the doubts I had, which were mainly about having to cross the killeen rd to rejoin the canal Pathway and the fact that the pathway hadn't been competed as far as The Kylmore Rd Yet. I have run the route and the area is very flat in fairness so looks good.

Btw the mapmyrun course you have plotted comes up a litle short, probably because the canal pathway is on the opposite side of the canal from what you have plotted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

How wide are the roads and paths on this route? Is there likely to be congestion on the canal paths?

4 stars (good)
    How wide are the roads and paths on this route? Is there likely to be congestion on the canal paths?

No, they are plenty wide in fairness.

Hey Eoin, I'm confused. I can't find where I stick in the Boards discount code when registering. In fact, I can't find the Boards discount code? :D

• Advertisement

Huh...!? :confused:

I take it you missed the 30th April deadline for €20....

Tell you what (seeing we are acquainted). If you dress up as Krusty the Clown we'll do the below. (applies to this Krusty only - all other wanna be Krustacians are n/a. Sorry!)

Then lets have a poll to judge your attire afterwards:
    Excellent = free race
    Very good = €15
    Good = €10
    Bad = €5 to charity
    Terrible = €10 to charity

Let the public decide :D What's another poll amongst friends....
    U game?

Huh...!? :confused:

I take it you missed the 30th April deadline for €20....

Tell you what (seeing we are acquainted). If you dress up as Krusty the Clown we'll do the below. (applies to this Krusty only - all other wanna be Krustacians are n/a. Sorry!)

Then lets have a poll to judge your attire afterwards:
    Excellent = free race
    Very good = €15
    Good = €10
    Bad = €5 to charity
    Terrible = €10 to charity

Let the public decide :D What's another poll amongst friends....
    U game?
    Grrr.... I hate turned tables. :D
    I like the challenge though.

How about:
    Instead of race entry, I pay €25 to a charity of your choosing (I'm a big fan of the Irish Cancer Society!)
    Based on a public poll of Krustaciousness, you have to match my charity donation (up to €25 depending on a public vote):
    Crap = €5
    Some effort=€10
    Gave it a go=€15
    Not too bad at all=€20
    It's...Krusty.... (without the shoes!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Shocking entry price and will avoid like the plague-Handing out leaflets at john davis race this morning promoting it. Binned it straight away when I saw the cost.Usual "ipod" runners will do it as they know no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Shocking entry price and will avoid like the plague-Handing out leaflets at john davis race this morning promoting it. Binned it straight away when I saw the cost.Usual "ipod" runners will do it as they know no better.

Or maybe it'll be exactly what they want from a race, doesn't seem like the worst value around, although €15 would be better.
    On another note can we wait till the race takes place before voting, it's a new race so not too sure why you voted but I removed it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Woddle wrote: »
    Or maybe it'll be exactly what they want from a race, doesn't seem like the worst value around, although €15 would be better.
    On another note can we wait till the race takes place before voting, it's a new race so not too sure why you voted but I removed it anyway.

yup 15 is fine but I voted on the price of paying 25 to run on a path. :mad:

I handed you the flier today.
    I really don't know what to say to you or where to start tbh... :confused:
    Best leave it.
    Enjoy your running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I just completed the C25K program and would like to have a 4 x 10k schedule of fairly social/charity type 10k's to run every year to a) raise some charity funding and b) give myself some focus.

Given that I'm now able to do 5k (on a treadmill) in 35 mins or so what advice can you give me in terms of using the next 8 weeks to train for the Dublin 10k?

Should I just get out onto the roads where I live and build up to 10k or is there a more structured program anyone can suggest? Given this will be my very first race of any sort (aged 42!) I want to make sure I can make it round and not make a complete tit of myself.

I'm one of those (apparently sad) iPod joggers so maybe this isn't the right sort of race to start off with??

Appreciate any feedback.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's a Hal Higdon 10k training plan you could look at.
    And get out onto the roads - or even better, the park paths.
    Don't worry, you'll make it round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Ray, that's perfect.

Grrr.... I hate turned tables. :D
    I like the challenge though.

How about:
    Instead of race entry, I pay €25 to a charity of your choosing (I'm a big fan of the Irish Cancer Society!)
    Based on a public poll of Krustaciousness, you have to match my charity donation (up to €25 depending on a public vote):
    Crap = €5
    Some effort=€10
    Gave it a go=€15
    Not too bad at all=€20
    It's...Krusty.... (without the shoes!).

Game on! BUT last condition seeing we are making an allowance for the 3ft shoes.

You gotta wear a note clearly visible on your back that says:
    'I thought the Garmin 405 was a type of car'.... :p

virtual hand shake ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement