Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New - Dublin 10km. 25th July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

eoin ryan wrote: »
    You gotta wear a note clearly visible on your back that says:
    'I thought the Garmin 405 was a type of car'.... :p

You go too far Eoin. He'll probably beat you up with his customised Garmin 205 knuckle dusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Game on! BUT last condition seeing we are making an allowance for the 3ft shoes.

You gotta wear a note clearly visible on your back that says:
    'I thought the Garmin 405 was a type of car'.... :p

virtual hand shake ???
    You got a deal. :)
    I may end up being the other side of the country on the day of the race though, in which case I'll accept the forfeit and donate my race entry fee to a charity of your choosing (as long as it's The Irish cancer society). :)

I only wear Garmin 110 knuckle-dusters in hot pink.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

FYI

Should we get 1,000 entries the race will purchase €1,000 of Lottery tickets. That makes you part of the biggest numeric syndicate in Ireland. Presently we have 250 entrants. So its possible!
    Think of it this way. If we won 1million thats €1,000 euro each.... :eek: We wanted to do something a little different....

Also we will have a goodie bag or Goodie envelope. We have secured vouchers and we are also getting samples from Boots to give out.
    I'll post more when i have a clearer picture of the value of the samples/ vouchers

Also a DJ will be in attendance on the Plaza.
    The Plaza will host Registration and the finish line.
    The Irish Village market have been invited to attend and will have stalls there. The Pubs, shops and restaurents will be open. Should be a nice atmosphere.

Fingers crossed for good weather...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Looking forward to this one....hoping for a new PB!! Oh what I'd do to break 50 mins this summer!! Getting there.....

Following up

The first voucher booklet is worth €20. I anticipate more vouchers
    Included are free coffee's and a car wash.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Lotsafish

3 stars (average)
    Sounds great, I cant wait. :cool:

Fingers crossed for the weather......

FYI

Should we get 1,000 entries the race will purchase €1,000 of Lottery tickets. That makes you part of the biggest numeric syndicate in Ireland. Presently we have 250 entrants. So its possible!
    Think of it this way. If we won 1million thats €1,000 euro each.... :eek: We wanted to do something a little different....

Also we will have a goodie bag or Goodie envelope. We have secured vouchers and we are also getting samples from Boots to give out.
    I'll post more when i have a clearer picture of the value of the samples/ vouchers

The Irish Village market have been invited to attend and will have stalls there. The Pubs, shops and restaurents will be open. Should be a nice atmosphere.

Following up I can confirm the value of some of the vouchers.

Its over €200 in total

€20 voucher booklet from Applegreen
    €6 free bet with Boyle sports Park West
    €175 value trial in Educogym

there may be more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

FYI

Is he any good ?????

3 stars (average)
    Will the Tshirt. Timing chip and race number be posted out or collected on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

the car wash voucher has me sold but the betting vouchers, i be there!

Lotsafish wrote: »
    Will the Tshirt. Timing chip and race number be posted out or collected on the day?

Hi,

They will be collected on the day. I'm gonna give the website the once over again with more details. Bear with me for a few days.

We have secured more freebies for you:

- Free Bulmers Berry drink in Bennigan's Pub on the Plaza (finish area)
    For over 18's only it goes without saying.

- We are going to have live music with an 80's band afterwards. These guys are really good! So its a DJ at the start and Live music afterwards....

- We have some more freebie stuff too for ppl who come early to registration... Will be on website

***New news - We are not taking entries on the day. This will be changed on the website*** Closing date is the 22nd July or b4 if we fill.

Sorry if this disappoints but with over €200 of free stuff going we could get a ridiculous amount of ppl showing up and won't be able to cope. Better to tell ye earlier than later....
    Plus we are limiting to the first 1,000 entrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Is the full route open already? I was hoping to head along the canal from Inchicore for a few miles tomorrow night, then turning around and heading back. Dont fancy meeting a big JCB or construction fence blocking the way when I'm only halfway into it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aimman wrote: »
    Is the full route open already? I was hoping to head along the canal from Inchicore for a few miles tomorrow night, then turning around and heading back. Dont fancy meeting a big JCB or construction fence blocking the way when I'm only halfway into it.

I'm not sure if it's open from the Kylemore Road up towards Clondalkin. Going past a few days ago it was still all locked up.

Cheers. I know they have put up a temporary "boardwalk" along the canal so you can go under the road from the inchicore side of the Kylemore Road and carry on, just not sure whats beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    I'm not sure if it's open from the Kylemore Road up towards Clondalkin. Going past a few days ago it was still all locked up.

That's all open; I run up that stretch of the canal once or twice a week. It is a lovely new surface.
    From the Kylemore road entrance You have to go through a hole in the fence. The race is actually only going up as far as the Kileen rd which is about 1km further on, you have to cross the road at kileen Rd but then you join the canal via a gate again and it is a lovely straight run up a new path as far as clondalkin. That's about a 4km stretch I think.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's about a 4km stretch I think.
    Hmm. I was looking for a bit longer. Does the pathway stop in Clondalkin? I thought there were plans to have a path all the way out to Sallins (not that I was planning on travelling that far, mind you)

(PS. Apologies for going off topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Aimman wrote: »
    Hmm. I was looking for a bit longer. Does the pathway stop in Clondalkin? I thought there were plans to have a path all the way out to Sallins (not that I was planning on travelling that far, mind you)

(PS. Apologies for going off topic)

At clondalkin you have to cross the road but then the path continues on and on. I have only went about another 3-4 km on but in theory it does indeed go on at naas. The only qualm is that you have to go through a few of those swing gates along the way.

We have bumped up the prize money for 1st and 2nd place male and female. http://www.dublin10km.com/entry.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

menoscemo wrote: »
    At clondalkin you have to cross the road but then the path continues on and on. I have only went about another 3-4 km on but in theory it does indeed go on at naas. The only qualm is that you have to go through a few of those swing gates along the way.

The newly surfaced cycleway/walkway goes on as far as the lock road / Adamstown. After that you have to switch to the northside of the canal and its a grassy/muddy track after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We have bumped up the prize money for 1st and 2nd place male and female. http://www.dublin10km.com/entry.html

What the hell?!?!?

Thanks for the link again - i just checked it and its says entries close on the 22nd of July or when they reach 1000 entries. I could have sworn the website you could enter on the day for €30 or online for €25!

I was just planning on turning up on the day and paying my few bob.

• Advertisement

What the hell?!?!?

Thanks for the link again - i just checked it and its says entries close on the 22nd of July or when they reach 1000 entries. I could have sworn the website you could enter on the day for €30 or online for €25!

I was just planning on turning up on the day and paying my few bob.

No just in case a flurry of people turn up on the day and cause an admin problem i believe its been changed to online entry only.

Oh and i hear the 80's band are SpringBreak......................LEGENDARY:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

No just in case a flurry of people turn up on the day and cause an admin problem i believe its been changed to online entry only.

Oh and i hear the 80's band are SpringBreak......................LEGENDARY:cool:

*in best elvis voice* .. 'aahh, thank you very much'

i just read the post from EOIN on the previous page. Makes sense. Thank feck I decided to look at link again. I wasn't planning on looking at it again until the eve of the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Following up I can confirm the value of some of the vouchers.

€6 free bet with Boyle sports Park West

Let me guess, a 6 euro forecast on the galway hurdle or something???

I would do this race if i could enter on the day, not sure what I'm doing that weekend, and i think the option should be open, especially if the 1,000 quota isn't reached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Who would be a race director?! If you take entries on the day, you get flack. If you don't take entries on the day, you get flack. :)

I'm disappointed to announce that Educo gym have pulled out of the Dublin 10km taking with them the €175 voucher....

Due to unfortunate circumstances Educogym are having to pull out of the sponsorship of the Dublin 10k, we accept responsibility and no blame should be attached to the organising committee.” – from Educogym Head Office.

The website has been revised to reflect this.
    We still have €30+ worth of stuff. The early to registration guys will get more as an incentive:

Note: The early bird registrants who arrive from 9am will receive additional extras including:
    • Irish Rail Smart card
    • Nissan Key ring
    • Days Hotel Poncho
    • Printed Technical T-shirt
    • Boots Samples (while stocks last)
    Included in the entry fee is:
    • A Technical T-shirt
    • A Timing Chip
    • A Race number
    • Dry bag drop at Finish line.
    • Aid station at km 5.5 and Finish courtesy of SPAR
    • A voucher for Educogym worth €175. N/A
    • A book of vouchers from Applegreen worth €20 *
    • A €6 bet in Boyle Sports (Park West)
    • A bottle of Bulmers Berry (over 18’s only)
    * Depending on where and how you use them.

I went to college with some of the staff in Jackie Skellies. I hope they're doing the warm up so I can have a larf. :pac:

Ya don't want to be associated with Tony Quinn anyway. :)

Course was measured last nite with a Jones Counter. All good
    We're now ready for blast off
    Closing date is 22nd July.....
    Fingers crossed for the weather!!!
    Especially for the band afterwards and the village market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Course was measured last nite with a Jones Counter. All good

Fair play to you just back the The Irish runner 4.9 mile road race. Short courses make TheRoadRunner angry

Fair play to you just back the The Irish runner 4.9 mile road race. Short courses make TheRoadRunner angry

Just to clarify I realise you had nothing to do with the Irish runner race today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

3 stars (average)
    I think there'll be a fair few people entering this now to exorcise the Ghosts of todays 4.9 miler in the park.
    Im in for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I did the Adidas 5 mile today. Was it really 4.9? How or who established that? I'd be amazed if the organisers got the distance wrong.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

4 stars (good)
    BenEadir wrote: »
    I did the Adidas 5 mile today. Was it really 4.9? How or who established that? I'd be amazed if the organisers got the distance wrong.

Ben

See the thread for that race - a large number of us measured it as between 4.87 - 4.9 miles using our GPS watches, normally they'd be over the distance not under.

Eoin, sorry for jokingly telling you that I was going to blame you for that cock up today after the race, didn't think someone would actually do it!! Looking forward to this race next week now - and for the record all of Eoin's races that I've run have been bang on the distance!

I'm sure you're right but I'm going to take the moral high ground and convince myself that you guys with the GPS watches simple cut a few corners whereas I ran the middle of the road all the way so I did the full 5.0 miles and you lads only did 4.9!! :D

Today was my first ever 5 mile run and I came in at 48:37 which is 10 minutes quicker than I thought I'd do + there was no stopping or puking along the way. Not so bad for a 42 year old fat bas**rd.

Really not sure if I'll be able for the 10k on Saturday, hopefully. Fingers crossed.

Ben

tunguska wrote: »
    I think there'll be a fair few people entering this now to exorcise the Ghosts of todays 4.9 miler in the park.
    Im in for sure.

I'm considering it also. Pity no entries on the day as I won't make my mind up until late in the week. I think online entries are open until Friday so that should give me enough time to decide.

There will be ART beers after this boys and girls. Thus, you should all sign up and jog around just to join the rest of us for one free bulmers berry, plus, a lot more drink afterwards! :)

The dj is also taking requests;)

Looking forward to the 80's band as well they are REALLY REALLY REALLY worth coming along for !

Looking forward to it now are the MY shambles of a race today:o

tunguska wrote: »
    Im in for sure.

That would be great!
    The team has put in a big BIG effort for this race and it would be nice if we got the crowds. We are all really looking forward to the day!! I'm hard pressed to think of another race that has all these extras together

For the record i am not involved in the Addidas 5 mile series at all (I wish the races I organise could attract those numbers...!!) It is unfortunate what happened (someone is feeling quite low right now I'm sure) but they'll bounce back. Good team of ppl
    Just to be 100% clear on that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

The dj is also taking requests;)

Looking forward to the 80's band as well they are REALLY REALLY REALLY worth coming along for !

Looking forward to it now are the MY shambles of a race today:o

what band is it?

what band is it?

errr... I'm not allowed to say publically. :o
    Could be that the rumours are accurate... ??!!??

• Advertisement

errr... I'm not allowed to say publically. :o
    Could be that the rumours are accurate... ??!!??

Rumours has it, that the singer is just recovering from a back injury. Spent a bit of time in Germany. lol.

Think of someone going on holidays in April......................:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

3 stars (average)
    Hopefully it wont be windy, thats all Im saying.

I might also contact Met Eireann to find out the chances of a sand storm:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Course looks fairly good, ran the canal section on friday , nice part about the route is your on a slightly down hill section for almost 1.5 miles so can rip up that part of the coruse.. but it is a very slight down hill.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

3 stars (average)
    Wasn't looking forward to this earlier today, but I am again now. I've just been feeling very sluggish for the last few weeks on my daily run. Don't know why. I'm not looking to break any records or anything, just participating for fun, but I'd be happier if I was slightly faster. I think I'm slower now than when I did the Docklands one. :confused:

• Advertisement

<Mod snip- spamming>

There should be music going from about half 10 or so !

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

3 stars (average)
    Hi all,

In a fit of madness I`ve signed up to `run` on Sunday. I`m 40 years old, a self-proclaimed fat b*****d, and up until three weeks ago hadn`t done a bit of exercice in 21 years. Back in the day I was heavily involved in athletics, a decent sprinter and hurdler. After an ankle injury in my late teens I never got back into it and after discovering drink and fast food I was firmly on the road to ruin! :) Three weeks ago I started off with a bit of walking, building up to a jog of sorts and managed to complete 5k on the treadmill in just under 30mins yesterday. Now I know that`s pretty pitiful compared to all of you lot but believe me it`s a major achievement for me. Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice for getting around on Sunday? I`m worried that I may not be able to pace myself as I haven`t attempted anything like this before. Also any advice on what to do or otherwise in the days up to running...should I run the day before? Any idea what a reasonable time would be for a guy in my kind of peak physical shape? Thanks very much and best wishes to all running on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing your heels! :D

3 stars (average)
    EdMoses wrote: »
    Hi all,

In a fit of madness I`ve signed up to `run` on Sunday. I`m 40 years old, a self-proclaimed fat b*****d, and up until three weeks ago hadn`t done a bit of exercice in 21 years. Back in the day I was heavily involved in athletics, a decent sprinter and hurdler. After an ankle injury in my late teens I never got back into it and after discovering drink and fast food I was firmly on the road to ruin! :) Three weeks ago I started off with a bit of walking, building up to a jog of sorts and managed to complete 5k on the treadmill in just under 30mins yesterday. Now I know that`s pretty pitiful compared to all of you lot but believe me it`s a major achievement for me. Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice for getting around on Sunday? I`m worried that I may not be able to pace myself as I haven`t attempted anything like this before. Also any advice on what to do or otherwise in the days up to running...should I run the day before? Any idea what a reasonable time would be for a guy in my kind of peak physical shape? Thanks very much and best wishes to all running on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing your heels! :D

Well done with the 5K yesterday!
    For pace the first thing to remember is to try not to start too fast - this is tough because its so easy to be swept along with the buzz and start a lot quicker than you normally would. Just something to be conscious of.

Personally I will be running on Friday, recovering Sat so that I'm in top shape on Sunday (thats not to say you cant go out for a brisk walk on Sat)

I cant run the full 10K yet myself - I'm planning on running to 5K, then walking as recovery and then slowly running for a bit, back to walking - repeat.

As its your first race I wouldn't worry too much about time - personally I'll be happy if I make it to the finish before it gets dark :D

Good luck on Sunday - well done for rising to the challenge!

Hi lads,

Great to see another 40 something fat bas**rd on this thread Ed Moses. I was exactly where you are now about 3 months ago though I was never much of a runner/athlete in my younger days. I did my own version of the C25K on the threadmill and signed up for the Adidas 5k in the Phoenix park about 2 months ago to give myself something to aim for. Got a bit of a shock 3 weeks ago when I realised it was 5 miles/8km not 5km (dopey I know) but said what the hell and put in a few 55 minute 8km jogs on the treadmill and turned up expecting to a) not get around without stopping and b) end up puking somewhere along the way as I hadn't done hardly any non treadmill training.

Starting at the very back of the >50 minute wave (so as not to be too embarrased when I stopped running and started walking/puking) I was seriously surprised that a) I ran the whole way and b) did it in a chip time of 48:37. The last 2k nearly killed me but it obviously didn't. :D

I'm supposed to be doing the 10k on Sunday but after the Adidas 8k last Sunday my legs were wrecked Monday and Tuesday so I decided not to try this Sunday's 10k but I did another 8k on the treadmill yesterday morning and am now seriously thinking that if I can do a 60 minute run in the gym this evening I will be ready for Sunday.

I'm still 50:50 but what the hell, maybe I will give it a shot on Sunday. There's no point letting you be the only over 40 fat bas**rd there!!!

Ben

• Advertisement
Advertisement