Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New - Dublin 10km. 25th July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

<Mod edit- Eoin, I've had to point out to you plenty of times before that talking about your various sponsors is advertising for them, and is against the charter. If you want to post relevant info (times, distance, numbers, etc.) that's great and useful, but as it is you're using this forum to promote your business. There's a lot of other commercial race directors out there who know where the line is, and it's unfair to them that you continually breach the charter. Have a week off to think about it.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

3 stars (average)
    Weather looks decent for sunday..............

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I may end up being the other side of the country on the day of the race though, in which case I'll accept the forfeit and donate my race entry fee to a charity of your choosing (as long as it's The Irish cancer society). :)
    Unfortunately, as I suspected, I find myself at the other end of the country this weekend, and potentially running a different race. So I donated my entry fee to the Irish Cancer Society. Last time I make a bet with Eoin. :)
    Dear Krusty_Clown,
    thank you for your donation. We have received your transaction as follows:
    ORDER INFORMATION
    Order No: 20100722190123-127
    Order Date: July 22, 2010, 7:02 pm (Server Time)
    Amount : 25
    Refer : donate
    Type of Donation : general
    Other (if specified) :
    Event (if applicable) :
    Payment status: Payment made, thank you.
    DONOR INFORMATION

Best of luck with the race. Hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

3 stars (average)
    BenEadir wrote: »

I'm supposed to be doing the 10k on Sunday but after the Adidas 8k last Sunday my legs were wrecked Monday and Tuesday so I decided not to try this Sunday's 10k but I did another 8k on the treadmill yesterday morning and am now seriously thinking that if I can do a 60 minute run in the gym this evening I will be ready for Sunday.

I'm still 50:50 but what the hell, maybe I will give it a shot on Sunday. There's no point letting you be the only over 40 fat bas**rd there!!!

Ben

Sure why not head out on Sunday?! You'd probably be doing a training run on Sunday anyway and it'll be alot more fun running in the atmosphere of a race! Even if you have to stop and walk a bit of it, you certainly won't be the only one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Looks like number will be about 800ish on the day, a good crowd and i'll be there to cheer all on ( out injured )

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

3 stars (average)
    Thanks to all for the words of encouragement/advice. Kind of looking forward to Sunday now. Once I get around I`ll be happy enough. Best of luck to all. Anyone not want their Bulmers?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Any news yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tunguska came fifth, stupid private sixth that's all I remember...

3 stars (average)
    Great race and I really enjoyed Spring Break, the band that were playing at the finish line! Don't know if I'd agree with the "very fast and flat" assessment of the course that was put out before the race, although having said that, the canal path was incredibly flat and lasted a good 2-3km from what I can remember! My time would probably have been faster if it was less windy out and I'd be happy not to ever have to run up and over a bridge over another road again!

Well done to the organisers. Stewarding and support along the way was excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

What was the story with the clearly drunk guy shouting at the start. Thankfully he was out of ear-shot very quickly, but he was still very loud at the end too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

really well marshalled run....if it was all members of dublin front runners out there, fair play to them, they did a great job........ nice little course really (maybe it was the heat or the straight stretches etc but didn't run hectic myself), although think it's the type of place that would be hard to run a good time on, even though no shocking hills or anything.....

interesting to see the results but there was a super battle going on for the womens race, between the two Raheny ladies. Both had a proper go at the cherry and seemed to be neck and neck with 150m still to go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    great race and a nice pb for me. People were saying it wasn't falt, but honestly, you won't find flatter unless you are on a track!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

3 stars (average)
    What was the story with the clearly drunk guy shouting at the start. Thankfully he was out of ear-shot very quickly, but he was still very loud at the end too.

I had to contend with that guy for most of the race until I eventually passed him on the canal. He's a great incentive to improve fast though so I won't be in that position again.

3 stars (average)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    great race and a nice pb for me. People were saying it wasn't falt, but honestly, you won't find flatter unless you are on a track!

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. I was talking to Stupid private at the end and we both agreed that it was a tough enough course. Very well organised. Although at this stage Im just delighted when a race is measured correctly and nothing more. And it was bang on 10k so fair play to Eoin.
    All was going grand until about 7k when I got a stitch. I started massaging my abdominals on the run but it was no use, the pain got stronger and stronger. Knew I was in trouble so I just hung on and raced for the finish. But it slowed me to such and extent that the guy in 5th caught up with me in the final km. I was in a fair bit of pain and this stage so all I could do was hang onto him until the finish. Got caught out right at the end though, I made a sprint for the finsh line but it actually wasnt the finish line(bottom of the ramp). So I slowed thinking Id crossed the line while the other guy raced up the ramp and took 4th. My own fault, shouldve studied the race map more carefully. All in all a good day, definitely do it again next year. So as usual Im not happy after a race............35:07 I think. And Ive still got the stitch.

Good run by Stupid Private, I can always pick him out of the crowd, he's about 7ft tall. Was talking to Racoon queen, although she sat this one out. Think she was on photo duty while SP was racing.
    Great run by menoscemo who proceeded to puke everywhere just after he crossed the finsh line. Hilarious stuff. PB in the bag though. ALthough that coffe and banana experiment wont be repeated I'd say.

...then Tunguska stood me up in the pub :(

I decided to sit it out today, had my gear on this morning but really wasn't feeling it today so jumped in the shower instead and headed around on my bike instead to watch the start and finish. Got a few photos, literally a few, missed the winners though as xebecs camera was too slow to catch them/I was getting distracted(there was a few lookers about :D ).

Race seemed to all go well. Well organised, registration queue was moving fast, lots of music in the plaza and people hung around afterwards for a couple of hours. Great performances from boards runners aswell. First time I'm glad I sat a race out, I think. Can I get my money back Eoin? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tunguska wrote: »
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. I was talking to Stupid private at the end and we both agreed that it was a tough enough course. Very well organised. Although at this stage Im just delighted when a race is measured correctly and nothing more. And it was bang on 10k so fair play to Eoin.
    All was going grand until about 7k when I got a stitch. I started massaging my abdominals on the run but it was no use, the pain got stronger and stronger. Knew I was in trouble so I just hung on and raced for the finish. But it slowed me to such and extent that the guy in 5th caught up with me in the final km. I was in a fair bit of pain and this stage so all I could do was hang onto him until the finish. Got caught out right at the end though, I made a sprint for the finsh line but it actually wasnt the finish line(bottom of the ramp). So I slowed thinking Id crossed the line while the other guy raced up the ramp and took 4th. My own fault, shouldve studied the race map more carefully. All in all a good day, definitely do it again next year. So as usual Im not happy after a race............35:07 I think. And Ive still got the stitch.

Good run by Stupid Private, I can always pick him out of the crowd, he's about 7ft tall. Was talking to Racoon queen, although she sat this one out. Think she was on photo duty while SP was racing.
    Great run by menoscemo who proceeded to puke everywhere just after he crossed the finsh line. Hilarious stuff. PB in the bag though. ALthough that coffe and banana experiment wont be repeated I'd say.

Fair play even with the stitch a PB is a PB at the end of the day and it means there is room for improvement for another PB next time round;)

3 stars (average)
    ecoli wrote: »
    Fair play even with the stitch a PB is a PB at the end of the day and it means there is room for improvement for another PB next time round;)

Cheers ecoli but I better clarify that I was talking about menoscemo's PB. I was almost 60 seconds slower than my PB. Id say some of that was the course and about 30 seconds of it was the stitch.
    ...then Tunguska stood me up in the pub :(

Sorry, I was in a jock, stitch was still at me. Plus I wouldve been no fun in the boozer after. I would've sat there in a huff over losing 4th place like that.

Sorry, I was in a jock, stitch was still at me. Plus I wouldve been no fun in the boozer after. I would've sat there in a huff over losing 4th place like that.

Pffft I stayed till 6 and I was acting like a manic depressive.

You ran really well today, despite the stitch. The winner was way ahead of second place. Seems like a very open course which on a windy day would probably create a fairly big drag.

3 stars (average)
    Pffft I stayed till 6 and I was acting like a manic depressive.

You ran really well today, despite the stitch. The winner was way ahead of second place. Seems like a very open course which on a windy day would probably create a fairly big drag.

Davey Byrne from my club came second. Hes a top 10k runner, Id be interested to see who won.
    Yeah some parts were tough enough with that wind in your face. Nothing like the sand storm out in clontarf two weeks ago but still enough to cause difficulty.
    Im still cracking up thinking about menoscemo getting sick all over the place at the finish. All the race marshalls jumped back in horror/disgust. I was talking to him after and he had some barf on his face. Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Agree that this was a really well organised race and well done to the organisers and volunteers for a job well done. 6.23 miles on the garmin too so length was spot on!! I will admit to cursing that ramp at the end though, that was tough for me.

As for that drunk guy, don't get me started on him. Unfortunately every time I seemed to get rid of him, he would pop back up and only finally managed to loose him on the canal. Besides his course line being beside the cones and meandering into traffic, he kept going up to some poor bloke and whacking him on the head! The bloke didn't know what to do. I saw one girl asking the stewards and guards to stop him a few times but I guess if he was still making noise at the end, they didn't pull him??

headed around on my bike instead to watch

Lapierre? Nice bike. Unless it was someone else's bike I was admiring!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

3 stars (average)
    I enjoyed it! :D I'm not an athlete, so I'm quite happy with my 48 minutes. Started near the back and passed more than passed me. A good day.

Couldn't hear the race briefing at the start, so if it was more complicated than "run to the finish" I would have missed it. Liked the course, a wee hill is a bit of a challenge now and again. There was some stink after the railway station, is there a landfill nearby? The canal section was boring for me, but I've a short attention span. Missed the 6km marker, so I was delighted to see the 7km mark. There was a slight breeze on the finishing straight which both cooled and slowed me slightly and I still had a kick for the last 500m and managed to pass a couple of folks. Didn't know the course, so I was cursing when I was pointed up a ramp at the finish, but at least it was short and I could keep a head of steam up to the line.

The missus and I brought the dog with us today, but he was misbehaving and we couldn't stay much past the end.

I'll enter this one again if it's on next year. Any sign of official times yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Cheers ecoli but I better clarify that I was talking about menoscemo's PB. I was almost 60 seconds slower than my PB. Id say some of that was the course and about 30 seconds of it was the stitch.

oops im having a bad dayin terms of this........ **note to self read full post before commenting**:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

3 stars (average)
    Great race very well done. Interesting course for me and the finish. Suppose it's because most of my races where in park's. It was far hillier than I expected. Marshall's where great. There where loads and I always knew where to go. My garmin showed 10.02, So spot on.

Afterwards was great. Best after race entertainment I have been to. I placed my free bet. Then drank my free Bulmers, while listening to the band. It was a nice touch the free drink. I was just thinking, what a way to hydrate ha ha. Plus I got more tokens of people. I probably could have went home drunk if I chose too. I was handed 3 more tokens and probably could have got more:) I ended up just having 2 and giving my 2 away. Great buzz around the place overall.

The Race for me did not go as planned. Was convinced I would finally get under 50 after my 38 last week. But no. At 5k I realised I would not. I was just wrecked. Not sure what happened. Maybe the race last week, to many drinks and out to late Friday night, Might have had something to do with it. But I got a PB of 51:30. So I am happy enough.

My only Gripe would have been at the start. It did not effect me. But the timing matt did not go all the way across the road. Just half of it. I seen quite a few people not go over it. As the whole road was full from side to side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

4 stars (good)
    As said above, it was a great race. The registration was great and everything was well organised.

One question: has anyone received the text with their time? I haven't and I'm dying to know. Are they up online? I didn't spot anything on the website.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)

I have now realised that:

coffee and banana before HM or longer = good

coffee and banana before 10k or less = bad :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

3 stars (average)
    Donny5 wrote: »
    As said above, it was a great race. The registration was great and everything was well organised.

One question: has anyone received the text with their time? I haven't and I'm dying to know. Are they up online? I didn't spot anything on the website.
    I have not got mine yet either. Has anyone got there's yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Great run by menoscemo who proceeded to puke everywhere just after he crossed the finsh line. Hilarious stuff.
    Jebus menopause, can't bring you anywhere:rolleyes:
    Well done on the PB.

3 stars (average)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB.

I've never seen a man so proud of puking his guts out. :D

4 stars (good)
    Well done on the PB.

Proud of it; 3rd 'short' race in a row I puked in (this was by far the most spectacular) I was expecting just to take a few deep breaths but ended up covering the post race bananas in sick:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Proud of it; 3rd 'short' race in a row I puked in (this was by far the most spectacular) I was expecting just to take a few deep breaths but ended up covering the post race bananas in sick:o
    After feeling sorry for myself over the last few days you've just given me a great laugh, I've a class picture in my mind:D I'd say the organisers were left with alot of bananas.

3 stars (average)

I think it may have been some sort of banana conspiracy - a protest against the eating of bananas.

4 stars (good)
    After feeling sorry for myself over the last few days you've just given me a great laugh, I've a class picture in my mind:D I'd say the organisers were left with alot of bananas.

Luckily RQ ewas too nice to take a photo of it even though she had the chance. I was watching the scene of the crime 10 minutes later and the evidence was still compelling :D

Thought my banana felt a bit sticky!!

well seeing as we're trying to guess who the race winner was and davey was second, sure it had to be john eves who won...... when saw him there he jumped out as the obvious winner beforehand anyway.....i see from the pics on racepix that he's running on his own too..........so two plus two equals......;)

John Eve's is a DSD runner isn't he? It was a DSD runner who won so I assume John Eve's was his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done to tunguska, Stupid_Private and menoscemo - in the latter case for the PB and the three-in-a-row!:D

Wouldn't have minded having a go at this, but decided to stick with the guaranteed PB in the Liberties race. Sounds like it was good crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Id be interested to see who won.

I'm guessing John Eves from DSD. He was nearly a minute ahead I reckon at the 6k mark.

yeah RQ, John runs with DSD, he's back racing a fair bit, having been absent for a few months, he won BHAA in Irishtown last week, fourth in Liberties and now this.........good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

aero2k wrote: »
    Well done to tunguska, Stupid_Private and menoscemo - in the latter case for the PB and the three-in-a-row!:D
    sounds like a possible new category for a boards A/r/T award ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

3 stars (average)
    Luckily RQ ewas too nice to take a photo of it even though she had the chance. I was watching the scene of the crime 10 minutes later and the evidence was still compelling :D
    She will never make it as a paparazi.
    hen you were
    You on the other hand would sell the story to them if you could.
    When you were telling me about it I had to refrain from pointing out the stain on the singlet.
    Great run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

4 stars (good)
    PB for me yesterday too with 47:31. Found the course tough enough, particularly with the wind in our faces for a lot of it but really enjoyed it. Legs are sore now though after doing the half marathon on Sat as well.

Fair play to Eoin and the Front Runners, everything went off without a hitch.

She will never make it as a paparazi.
    hen you were
    You on the other hand would sell the story to them if you could.
    When you were telling me about it I had to refrain from pointing out the stain on the singlet.
    Great run though.

I'm sorry I didn't now. Could have got the phone out and recorded it! Would have been a good blackmail piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Any results from this?

4 stars (good)
    The results are up (warning - excel file).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

3 stars (average)
    Text came in at 22:58 yesterday with both gun time and chip time. Was very happy. Last month I was up the Mournes for a 26 mile Challenge Walk and the text I received added half an hour to my estimated time. The time they later posted on the website was spot on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

3 stars (average)
    Was a good run, my first competitive. Enjoyed it, felt good, also took advantage of the showers in jackie skelly's, a godsend!!
    Lovely couple of pints after too.

oh 52mins, PB for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

2 stars (poor)
    Enjoyed the run. My first competitive run too. Thought the atmosphere and organisation were really good. I gave it an average 'coz I thought the entry fee was pretty steep.

Still, I'm far from an expert, and enjoyed the day.

In fact the more I think about it, aside from the entry fee, it was bang on!

Ok, I take the average back, it was definately a good. Can I change my vote?!

Hadn't ever timed myself before so needless to say whatever time I finised in was going to be a PB..!!

49.41 OR 49.31.. it gave two times on the website spreadsheet.

I'll definately do it again next year if it's on.

3 stars (average)

I was actually kinda insulted by that guy running along being like "I'm so drunk and I'm not even trying" while the people beside him were really putting an effort in, having trained lots for the race!

Did anyone else also notice the massive shortcut he took after about 200m? He shaved about 400m off the corner by cutting through the buildings instead of going around them!

What's the point in doing a race in that state?! And how was he so drunk on a Sunday morning?!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    W123-80's wrote: »
    49.41 OR 49.31.. it gave two times on the website spreadsheet.

49.41 is the race time, or the time on the clock when you crossed the finish line, and 49.31 is your chip time, or the time since you crossed the start line. Race time dictates placement but chip is what's important for PBs.

At times, there can be quite a difference between the two, especially where there's a bottleneck like yesterday. I was a minute and one second waiting to cross the start.

Advertisement