Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to rotate this box slightly?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm not too skilled in photoshop but I've been working away at a design for a new site I'm getting done. I'm doing the design myself to keep the costs down.

This is what I have so far; click.

I want to make a change that I think will make it look a lot better. In the above pic, in the top left there is the 'box' part sticking up off the main body of the page. My idea is to make it look like this part is an actual box perched on top of the main panel. To make it look good and to achieve the illusion it'd have to be angled slightly off so it's not square with the main body. I did a quick sketch to illustrate;

perched.jpg

I don't know how to do this without it taking a really long time, because it'd be hard to get the perspective correct with the curvature and so on.

If you have any ideas on how to do it in a quick way it'd be brilliant. The whole pic right now is basically one layer - as I said I only have basic photoshop skills so I haven't done it probably the way it should have been done :o

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have confused yourself a bit by having that dark green stripe go up the side and over the top of the top box.
    Use the magic wand to select the dark green and copy paste.
    Cut out the light green box front and the relevant dark green bit and copy paste. Move it out of the way.
    Pick up the green stripe and slide it down to complete the lower box. Erase any spare green stripe so you can see the original bottom edge of the box side. If the horizontal bit of the green stripe doesnt join exactly you might have to trim it.
    Move a chunk of black background across to cover the small box on the background pic.
    Go to the small box layer, shape the dark green to make it look like a corner on the bottom left. Select the whole thing and use Edit Transform Perspective and Edit Transform Skew to make it look turned. The changes will be very subtle and you will probably need to make the right hand side a bit deeper to make it look right, you will have to experiment.
    Adjust any bits of white edge that have gone missing.
    Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Thanks very much for the reply. I had tried the perspective/skew approach on the box before but I couldn't get it to look right. So this time I ended up just drawing it again, which wasn't too bad. This is what I have now; click.

I'm not definite if it's right in terms of perspective. The left and right side are of equal length in the pic above, and I'm not sure if the right side should be smaller because it's slightly further away, but given the tiny distance it is pushed back I wouldn't think this makes much of a difference either way.

Do you think the pic above looks "right"?

Thanks again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sorry if this is unwelcome feedback, but it's "Shimano brakes" not "Shimano breaks".
    Love the bikes, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vanh84

I think it looks ok as it is, also preferred it without the boxes round the 2 main photos...looked a little less 'boxy' for want of a better word! Your doing a decent job.

Advertisement