Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib charts for your GPS

Options
  • 23-03-2010 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭

I got this link on wiki: http://www.corribcharts.com/
    Free charts of the corrib, you can stick them in your GPS. Very handy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You're welcome ;)

We've about 4 years of hard work put into this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Great work John, hope you don't mind me posting the link up here. I was showing it to a few corrib veterans and they were seriously impressed. There's a few shallows out in the middle of the lake they reckon are great for fly fishing but are impossible to find, they spotted them straight away on the charts!

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Great work John, hope you don't mind me posting the link up here. I was showing it to a few corrib veterans and they were seriously impressed. There's a few shallows out in the middle of the lake they reckon are great for fly fishing but are impossible to find, they spotted them straight away on the charts!

;) Glad to be of help. There's 2 people involved in the project.

There will be more updates as time goes on.

Feedback so far has been nothing but positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

talking about GPS - can anyone recommend a GPS/Fishfinder combo for the corrib?
    thanks

Jason

jasonh wrote: »
    talking about GPS - can anyone recommend a GPS/Fishfinder combo for the corrib?
    thanks

Jason

Corrib is no different to any other water system. Do a quick Google, it'll save me typing all day!

• Advertisement

We are delighted to announce that a full-size paper chart of Lough Corrib based on the CorribCharts project is now available to purchase online! You can purchase using the following link: http://www.corribcharts.com/purchase_wall-chart.html

Ever wanted to know how CorribCharts is made?

We are putting together an on-going tutorial as to how a chart like this is made.

You can follow progress here: http://www.corribcharts.com/charting.html

We now have a dedicated "GPS Chartmaking Tutorial" section on the CorribCharts.com page.

Full details & tutorials: http://www.corribcharts.com/gps_chartmaking_tutorials.html

Makes for some interesting reading!

These maps on my gps makes it so easy to troll. I deep troll, so handy knowing exactly where the shallows are. Gives you a lot more confidence to explore the lake.
    Really handy for doing the salmon run along the north shore close to the bank. That was only one the locals could do before, but now anyone can do it!

The wall chart is really good quality too, really heavy paper and well worth the money.

These maps on my gps makes it so easy to troll. I deep troll, so handy knowing exactly where the shallows are. Gives you a lot more confidence to explore the lake.
    Really handy for doing the salmon run along the north shore close to the bank. That was only one the locals could do before, but now anyone can do it!

The wall chart is really good quality too, really heavy paper and well worth the money.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Feel free to make a donation if you feel the charts has been of benefit to you

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind words :)

Feel free to make a donation if you feel the charts has been of benefit to you

I did, well worth it too. Looking forward to loading the new maps up. Have a new laptop, so need to install the garmin software again.

I did, well worth it too. Looking forward to loading the new maps up. Have a new laptop, so need to install the garmin software again.

Many thanks, you are one of the very few generous souls! Some people must think that this utility fell from the sky! I dare not count the costs we have incured so far

Many thanks, you are one of the very few generous souls! Some people must think that this utility fell from the sky! I dare not count the costs we have incured so far

I was shocked to hear how few people gave a donation. In fairness, I didn't till I got that email. Hopefully a few more people give something after that.
    Would you charge people to download it?

Would you charge people to download it?

Nope, it goes against our ethics. However, freeloaders and tightwad's grind our gears! People are free to donate as much as they like.

We are delighted to announce that the latest version of CorribCharts has now been optimized for the Nuvi and will be released shortly as a separate "Nuvi" installation. You now have access to depths and other marine features. While it is not as versatile as the proper marine version running on non-automotive units, it gives access to all the information needed for fishing or boating. This Nuvi version is expected to be released by the end of January. Current subscribers will automatically receive this updated version. If you are not a subscriber and wish to obtain the latest version of CorribCharts which will include the Nuvi version please click here

See attached screenshot of CorribCharts running on a Garmin GPSMap 551s and a Garmin Nuvi 1300

Want to obtain CorribCharts for your Garmin G2 GPS or Nuvi but don't know how, or scared by technology? No problem! Drop us an e-mail and we will post out an SD Card with the latest version of CorribCharts installed. Just insert into device and go!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Would this work properly on a Garmin Oregon 400t?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Would this work properly on a Garmin Oregon 400t?

Cannot say for certain as they haven't been tested on that particular GPS, but additional maps can be added using MicroSD Card so there's no reason why they wouldn't

The charts are discontinued :(
    This is a pity, as it's an amazing service.
    http://www.corribcharts.com/index.html
    Dear CorribCharts user,
    It is with huge regret that I must announce, due to demand by Trevor Northage, that as of 13/07/2011, the CorribCharts project will no longer continue.

In no way do I wish or want the project to cease, but Trevor has stated that he no longer has any affiliation with the CorribCharts project and I do not have the time to continue with the project myself. I have included e-mail from Trevor to me to prove that this is not my personal wish. As the project was created with both our sets of data, if I continue the project in the future I will be starting from scratch (although that has not been ruled out)

I would personally like to thank you for all your assistance, donations and support. If I can in any way of assistance to anyone on Lough Corrib or provide information, please do not hesitate to contact me. I can still be contacted on corribcharts@gmail.com as it was a personal e-mail account which I simply facilitated the use of by the CorribCharts project.

Kind regards,
    Niall O' Flaherty

Hi Niall,

Please remove any data of my provenance on the website, together with all product to which I hold published copyright. This includes both the digital and paper charts, including screenshots and sidescan data. As of 0630 this morning, Wed 13th July 2011, any apparent or perceived partnership is dissolved. Property held in common (Garmin 551s) can be purchased from CorribCharts at an agreed price. The name “CorribCharts” is held jointly, and I do not give my required permission for its continued use by you or any other individual or group. In view of this, the continued use of the name will be relinquished by both of us. You do not have the copyright holders permission to carry on selling either the digital chart or paper chart under any guise or name, or by any method. Any data for which you have been solely responsible and that has been gathered using entirely your own equipment will of course be removed from the chart. You are at liberty to use any such data as you will, similarly for myself.

This action, as you are probably well aware, has become inevitable – and should resolve any differences that have become apparent.

All the best

Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Would the charts have worked on a smart phone ? any body know ? Im just back from a week on Corrib and they might have been useful.

Think it has to be a garmin. Doesn't matter, they're not available any more. I still have them in my inbox thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Think it has to be a garmin. Doesn't matter, they're not available any more. I still have them in my inbox thank god.
    The digitized maps?
    Can you forward them please?

Can you forward them to me aswell ? curious to see if I can get them to work, also would like to compare them to my own observations from my dept finder.

thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Ha Daroxtar. I'll pass on the little dig, it's a fair shot. :-)

From what I read the guys who produced the original maps are both not permitted by each other to sell them now. Is that correct? Or am I misunderstanding that notice and one of them can continue with the maps?

My fear is the project goes down the tubes in a way that makes it impossible to obtain what is presumeably the best Corrib map made to date. I do not know if they were free (it said so) or pay to use but free to download (possible) shareware style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

coolwings wrote: »
    Ha Daroxtar. I'll pass on the little dig, it's a fair shot. :-)

From what I read the guys who produced the original maps are both not permitted by each other to sell them now. Is that correct? Or am I misunderstanding that notice and one of them can continue with the maps?

My fear is the project goes down the tubes in a way that makes it impossible to obtain what is presumeably the best Corrib map made to date. I do not know if they were free (it said so) or pay to use but free to download (possible) shareware style.

Ninja edit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Are these charts available anywhere now? I send a couple of emails over the past year or so through the corribcharts website but never got a reply, still waiting on them...

viper123 wrote: »
    Are these charts available anywhere now? I send a couple of emails over the past year or so through the corribcharts website but never got a reply, still waiting on them...

If you made a donation, you would have received the charts. For now, they are unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

If you made a donation, you would have received the charts. For now, they are unavailable.

If I got a reply I might have made a donation. Not going to pay for something shareware that I haven't received. :confused:

viper123 wrote: »
    If I got a reply I might have made a donation. Not going to pay for something shareware that I haven't received. :confused:
    what was your query?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Hi all,

anybody hearing any reports on the fishing around corrib as of late..

Was thinkin of headin up around end of august all going well.

Does anybody reackon if it would be worth a trip.? Any links to some decent boat hire or Ghillies would be much appricated.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Good deals here till the end of the season, http://www.corribwave.com/ and he can arrange a boat man if you need one.
    If the weather behaves you should get fishing in August through out the day on a variety of methods, wets, dries and the dap. The fish will wont be shoaling up in any specific area yet so fishing deep to shallow around the islands will produce.

Advertisement