Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the hell have I done to my freehub?

• 23-03-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have a pair of Campagnolo Ventos like these

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26101

Yesterday I took off the cassette and freehub (don't ask, I just did..ok!!:o

Now since I put it all back together I've lost the freehub/freewheeling action.
    If I spin the rear wheel in a forward motion the pedals and crank also rotate and when the momentum stops, the pedals move slowly backwards and the chain sags and fouls.
    Strange thing is that when I remove the wheel from the bike and spin it in my hand, it spins freely and makes that familiar clicking sound but when I put it on the bike and close the skewers the wheel becomes quite stiff to move (as if its seized) and the freewheel clicking noise also disappears.
    In short it seems to work ok until I put it on the bike and close the QR skewers, as if the skewers are squeezing and restricting it somehow.
    I've took the freehub apart and put it back together about 6 times with no success, theres no dirt inside, its well lubed, the 3 little pawls are there and are held in place....so what the hell have I done wrong and how do I fix it??

HELP!! :confused:

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Did you remove the spacer and forget to put it back on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How old is the freehub? Was the bushing worn when you took off the hub body?

Were there any spacers that might have slipped out? I know on Mavic freehubs there is a tiny little spacer that sits under the freehub and possibly stops it from binding, although I'm not sure of it's actual function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aidanbike

If you go here you can download the spare part catalog which
    has a diagram of all the parts and their locations.
    http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp
    Hope u get it going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did you remove the spacer and forget to put it back on?

Nope, no bits missing.

CPL 593H

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    How old is the freehub? Was the bushing worn when you took off the hub body?

Were there any spacers that might have slipped out? I know on Mavic freehubs there is a tiny little spacer that sits under the freehub and possibly stops it from binding, although I'm not sure of it's actual function.

less than a year old, no spacers missing.

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

aidanbike wrote: »
    If you go here you can download the spare part catalog which
    has a diagram of all the parts and their locations.
    http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp
    Hope u get it going

I'll have a look, thanks.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aidanbike

Your probably squeezing the freehub into the hub body when you torque up the qr lever. Possible a spacer missing.
    Try to put the wheel in the frame without the cassette and see what happens. See if their is any lateral movement in the freehub body.

aidanbike wrote: »
    Your probably squeezing the freehub into the hub body when you torque up the qr lever. Possible a spacer missing.
    Try to put the wheel in the frame without the cassette and see what happens. See if their is any lateral movement in the freehub body.

Cheers, I think you might be in the right territory...if I release the skewer and leave the wheel in position on the bike it rotates easier, hub doesn't seem to like being squeezed by the skewer.
    Will let my fingers heal overnight and disassemble/reassemble again tomorrow!

CPL 593H

Advertisement