Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking club question?

Options
  • 23-03-2010 9:37pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

okay, i am up next week and as you all know i am a vegetarian so, i was wondering if the regulars want a full on vegetarian recipe or a vegetarian recipe that can be converted to a meat one easy enough.

full veggie recipe or one thats easily changed? 31 votes

full vegetarian
    0% 0 votes
    one that can be changed to a meat dish
    90% 28 votes
    dont mind
    9% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Me, I'd rather see a full-on veggie recipe (one that wasn't vegetable stirfry...)

When you're a hopeless carnivore, it's hard enough to figure out what to cook for a vegetarian who's coming to dinner without defaulting to vegetable stirfry, so it'd be nice to see a vegetarian recipe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I agree with The Sweeper. I'd like to try a full veggie meal, or at least see the recipe. I am a bit choosy, so I doubt I'd use quorn or anything, but I'd say go ahead and do a veggie one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks

i live with a full on carnivore, so all my food now a days is cooked with quorn so we can eat the same food.

the carnivore turns his nose up at anything thats doesnt contain meat, so i was a bit nervous putting a full veggie recipe.

he has even refused to taste the dish i want to put when i have cooked it previously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Seeing that I have made about 2/3's of the suggested dishes, I'm going to put in my vote!!

Fully veggie please! I like to try making things I don't normally eat. And I love veggie dishes, but always make the same few.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's your week/recipe so it's entirely up to you as far as I'm concerned :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think you should do a full Irish breakfast. Pork sausages, rashers, black and white pudding and all.

Or a big juicy steak.

Or a roast bird of some description.

Nyom nyom nyom meat meat meat

:)

and if you don't you're banned

Des wrote: »

and if you don't you're banned

and if you ban me you will be sleeping the spare room for the foreseeable future;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I reckon a full on veggie dish would be nice. For a professional chef my collection of full on veggie recipes is painfully low!

Seaneh wrote: »
    I reckon a full on veggie dish would be nice. For a professional chef my collection of full on veggie recipes is painfully low!

des best friend is a chef and always grilles me about veggie recipes and what he should be serving - do they not teach veggie food in college??:p

not the best veggie cook myself, am quite boring and use loads of quorn because its easier living with a meat eater.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Full on veggie please! Myself and OH are trying to cook veggie at home and only eat meat when we are out or at a friends place. I'd love some more veggie recipes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

watna wrote: »
    Full on veggie please!

+1

I love meat. That said it's easy to find good meat recipes. It's not so easy to find good veggie recipes. I'm not going soft here but we'd all do ourselves a favour by going for the vegetarian option a little more often. Bring it on :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've no issue with full veggie, go for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I voted "I don't mind", but thinking about it, a good vegetarian recipe would be very nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I read somewhere once that "a good vegetarian dish is one that just happens to have no meat in it"... and there's loads of them. I'm not a fan of veg dishes that are trying to be meat ones if ya know what I mean... like ones that have lumps of soy (or whatever those white lumps are called) substituted for meat.

So, full veg FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

irishbird wrote: »
    not the best veggie cook myself, am quite boring :)

A visit to Bratts vegetarian restaurant in Tralee is well recommended.

BTW - I voted for veggie option

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I'd love a full veg dish as well add some variety to d'auld diet.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't mind. Your week, your choice :D New recipes are always good.

I know there would be a bit of a kerfuffle in my house if I served up a full veggie dish for dinner, but I'll be happy to cook it for myself. I often end up cooking things that I realise have little or no meat in them by accident ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

like ones that have lumps of soy (or whatever those white lumps are called) substituted for meat.

I think you're talking about tofu. Incidentally, tofu is very good when it's cooked properly (usually this involves it being cooked as tofu, instead of being thrown into a dish in place of chicken chunks, for instance.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please do a proper veggie recipe.
    Personally I hate to see dishes which just have the meat taken out or substituted,
    I think it often can make the dish crap, with me expecting something a lot more tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Please do a proper veggie recipe.
    Personally I hate to see dishes which just have the meat taken out or substituted,
    I think it often can make the dish crap, with me expecting something a lot more tasty.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

maybe go indian or along those lines. a lot of strict veggies over that neck o the woods, and the food rocks. its not just a regular dish with meat substitutes

right, veggie it is so.

i made it tonight. photos and recipe will be up tomorrow, as des is away for a few day next week and i need him to post it :)

Advertisement